Old New Year's Day in 2005

vbimport

This year is 乙酉年. (No idea how to write that in English.)

Happy New Year’s Day! The holiday in South Korea already started a few days ago with millions of people leaving Seoul and other major cities for their hometowns to meet their families. Most will leave in the next week.

By lunar calendar, my birthday was sometime in late January for this year but nobody told me when it is this year. (Not that I care about rituals much.)

Would you believe that half of a country’s population spend 10-30 hours on the road just to move about 300-400km to meet parents and cousins for some hours, and that twice each year? I have always supported a policy of 10,000% tax on oil and gas and cars.

Happy New Year Kenshin!!!

Thanks!

BTW, I forgot to add that it’s “Old New Year’s Day” because it’s the traditional (old, that is) New Year’s Day. The “New New Year’s Day” is January 1. :slight_smile: Just as I have at least three birthdays each year, there are at least two New Year’s Days for most South Koreans.

Happy old new year and a belated Happy birthday Kenshin :bigsmile:

That sounds a bit confusing, but I suppose it’s what one’s used to.

Regardless, happy everything Kenshin! :wink:

Indeed… quite confusing, but happy whatsoever :slight_smile:

Happy new year, Happy old year, Happy birthday, Happy Easter, Happy Christmas, Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Honika, and Happy everything else I forgot :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s confusing to me as well since I cannot remember when this year’s Old New Year’s Day is. I don’t even know when my b-day in 2006 will be. :slight_smile:

I agree. People should learn to treat their environment whit care.

Happy New Year Kenshin

Happy New Years Kenny…!!! or old one or new old one…or old new one…or what ever so forth and so on…

February 9 and its the Year of the Rooster. Happy Lunar New Year.

I have always supported a policy of 10,000% tax on oil and gas and cars.

I thought The UK did that anyway :a

Doesn’t most asian countries have several different new years? They say it’s for tradition and such but i’d say it’s only for the parties. :slight_smile:

Happy New Years Kenshin :slight_smile:

Traditional (lunar year) New Year’s Day in some Chinese-culture countries (including South Korea) is far more important than Christmas in US/UK. Why else 30 million out of 50 million population would move often wasting 10-30 hours on the road? Most households also spend a lot during this holiday. When I was a young boy, I also visited many relatives, uncles, grandfathers, etc. We always moved together, #1, #2, #3, and #4 brother + father + mother, six of us. 30 million people moving at once in the US or Russia or China may be nothing since there are a lot of broad roads and hundreds of millions of automobiles, but it’s quite a scene in South Korea.

There are well over 50 countries in Asia. Only a small percentage of them share the Chinese culture. Though there are very few places in Asia that were not affected by Chiense culture, most people agree that China, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Macao, Vietnam, and some more share the culture. The term “Asia” is very geographical, rather than cultural.

year of the Rooster…

Gong Xi Fa Cai… ( Happy Properous New Year…)

Happy Old New Year, Kenny. :iagree:

Happy New Year ,Kenshin and all.
I have a question about the culture of lunarl New Yer.
Do you receive red envelops with money in it on Lunar New Year’s Day in your country?
This is an important culture in my country.:slight_smile:

i have to give out this yr again…:(…but my boy will receive some also…:D:D