Old hardware fools CD protection

vbimport

I just posted the article Old hardware fools CD protection.

Vnunet.com reports that a magzine has found out that also old hardware is able to backup copy protected audio CDs. After the felt-tip marker this another easy way to backup your copy protected…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3923-Old-hardware-fools-CD-protection.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3923-Old-hardware-fools-CD-protection.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Does this then mean that all we need is a hacked firmware upgrade to “toggle” between multisession for our modern CD writer drives? Wouldn’t that drive the RIAA off the deep end… retro firmware…back to the good old days. Seems like they shouldn’t be able to complain when consumers degrade the performance of their cd writer drives? :slight_smile:

Does this then mean that all we need is a hacked firmware upgrade to “toggle” between multisession for our modern CD writer drives?
Yes, but you would have to know the assembler language for the chipset… Sounds hard, eh?

CloneCD can also ‘skip’ sessions, and so can Plextools.

Reaction by DoMiN8ToR on Tuesday 28 May 2002 CloneCD can also ‘skip’ sessions, and so can Plextools. ------------------------- yes but , that doesn’t work that way because if you put in the protected audiocd youre drive automaticly detects al sesions and youre drive probably locks up coz of the weird protection sessions so you only need an old drive that don’t support multisession :wink: i still have an old sony 2 x reader damn slow as hell but maybe it works with that one :wink: and if it doesn’t than also not an big deal then just çopy the cd analog through an quality soundcart :slight_smile:

there are also plenty of CD players with digital out… :slight_smile:

Most of CD-ROMs out there have CD-Digital out… can connect to the sound card.

Black-Wolf, the problem is that the new drives with the Digital Outputs cannot read the CDs. :slight_smile:

They try this with one single drive and then make the conclusion that any old hardware will do?

HP 8100 CD Writer is not a new drive! Thats old Too!

:slight_smile: - That’s why my old Phillips CDD3610 2 speed writer still sits in my system. Never run across anything yet that it would not read and/or copy.