Old Hard Drive won't Load

So, i recently switched over to my first SSD. I’ve since been having noise issues with that (whole other thread) and want to put my old drives back to work. I havent changed a thing to my old platter drives (WD Blacks) because I wanted to make sure my SSD was working properly first before I wiped them (good thing too).

BUT, i went to reinstall my old OS drive (again, its unchanged from before) and it is now saying drive not found please boot from disk. Its like it cant see the OS on the drive at all to boot from. I’ve looked in my bios to make sure its there and recognized (it is) and also that its part of the boot sequence (it is). But for some reason i cant boot back into my old way of doing things.

Can anyone think of something I am missing that would make that old drive not run properly anymore? When its plugged in as a secondary (running my os from my ssd) it shows up fine and i can even see the OS folders on there as well. It just wont boot from it, even if the ssd is completely unplugged from the mobo.

Any help would be great because I think i need to send my ssd back to the manu. Thanks in advance.

I would google ( hard drive showing in bios not in windows) also post which windows you are running also was your old drive sata or ide

it could be a sata option not turn on or another option in bios you can try and
change any option dealing with sata or IDE in bio one at a time. You could also reset bios if it has the load optimized default. Also check and see if bios is set to cacheable enable try disabling it and restart.

also tell us what bios you have then we could look it up and see what options you might need to change.

whoa… thats alot of things to check. the only things i can answer now is its Win7 and the drives are both running on SATA2. I thought I checked all the bios settings already but i guess i will keep messing with it.

what do you mean “what bios” do i have? are you asking what motherboard and version bios?

thanks

I used our motherboard to get the manual so I know have the bios. make sure you have the ide set to auto. If it already change it to manual then save then go back to auto and save. Sometimes you need to reset it. If I remember correctly i had a problem like this with GIGABYTE board.

IDE Channel 0, 1 Master/Slave
IDE Channel 0, 1 Master/Slave
Configure your IDE/SATA devices by using one of the three methods below:
• Auto Lets the BIOS automatically detect IDE/SATA devices during the POST. (Default)
• None If no IDE/SATA devices are used, set this item to None so the system will skip the detection of the device during the POST for faster system startup.
• Manual Allows you to manually enter the specifications of the hard drive when the hard drive access mode is set to CHS.
Access Mode Sets the hard drive access mode. Options are: Auto (default), CHS, LBA, Large. IDE Channel 2, 3 Master, 4, 6 Master/Slave, 7 Master, 9 Master/Slave
Extended IDE Drive
Configure your IDE/SATA devices by using one of the two methods below:
• Auto Lets the BIOS automatically detect IDE/SATA devices during the POST. (Default)
• None If no IDE/SATA devices are used, set this item to None so the system will skip the detection of the device during the POST for faster system startup.
Access Mode Sets the hard drive access mode. Options are: Auto (default), Large.
The following fields display your hard drive specifications. If you wish to enter the parameters manually, refer to the information on the hard drive.
Capacity Approximate capacity

you can go here and download the manual if you do not have it and it has the settings in bios for sata drive.

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-p55a-ud4(p)_v2.0_e.pdf

for what its worth i’m running bios v6.00PG. i’ll try your reset method tho and see what happens. thanks

I’m assuming you cloned your OS & applications from the HDD to the SSD. If not, please correct me.

How exactly did you clone your hard drive to the SSD in the first place?

Did you attempt to boot from the HDD once more after cloning to the SSD, but before trying to boot from the SSD?

no dice on the reset idea. i set my channel 0 Master (which is my old OS drive) to manual and reset. I tried setting it to none and reset and then back to auto both times and reset. still nothing.

i didnt see any areas labeled “Extended IDE Drive” and “Access Mode” tho so i couldnt do anything with those.

any other suggestions? this is killng me.

oh and my bios is actually the f11 version. but i dont think thats the problem since it worked before i hooked my ssd into it just fine.

cough It seems I posted only a few seconds before you did. :wink:

ok. nevermind on the “access mode” and “extended ide” settings… i found them… didnt realize they were right there in front of me.

anyway, i set the access mode to CHS but how do i know what settings to make the access mode to? i just retyped what came up under auto and it ended up booting as a 168GB drive instead of the 640GB… needless to say it still didnt work. i then put it back to auto. it showed up ok (size wise) but still no boot.

regarding your clone question… no. i didnt clone it. it was a fresh install.

Any other ideas out there? thanks in advance!

If you did a fresh install with the WD still connected, it’s entirely possible the Windows installer “switched” the boot manager from the WD to the Crucial. That would leave all of the data on the WD intact, but it might be unable to boot. (The Windows installer occasionally takes a little too much control of your computer). Try to see if a Windows installation disc detects your OS installation and can repair the boot manager. (Might want to make sure the SSD remains disconnected).

[I hope I’m not recommending something that’s already been suggested?]

im pretty sure i had the WD unhooked (at least the power to it was unhooked). i actually did try the repair function on the installation disc and it didnt even find the OS on the WD drive, which said in that case i had to reinstall the drivers for the WD drive first which i didn’t have at the moment. you think i should pursue the repair option and try to find the drivers? ive never had success with any sort of windows repair function which is why im hesitant but if its my only option…

other thoughts?

something else i just noticed… when opening up the disk management software of windows (where you can view your different partitions and such) its stating that my old WD drive (which was split into 2 partitions, both primary and both bootable - W7 & XP) is no longer a “system, Boot, Page Files, Active, Crash Dump” partition. Now it simply reads “Primary Partition”. You think this means something? Or does it only read this way now because i booted from the ssd?
Thanks again in advance!

Just found this on microsoft.com

"Marking a partition as active on a basic disk means that the computer will use the loader (an operating system tool) on that partition to start the operating system. "

&

“If you have multiple hard disks installed on your computer, it is possible for each hard disk to have a partition set as active. However, the active partition on the first hard disk that your computer’s basic input/output system (BIOS) detects is the one that will start the computer.”

so, if i mark my old WD drive as active, will that screw anything up? or is it something that i could just unactivate later if it didnt work? the last thing i want to do now is go backwards in progress…

thanks again in advance for the help!

I thought I checked all the bios settings already but i guess i will keep messing with it.

In the BIOS if you installed a SSD Drive you should have turned it from IDE to AHCI you will need to turn that back to IDE

something else i just noticed… when opening up the disk management software of windows (where you can view your different partitions and such) its stating that my old WD drive (which was split into 2 partitions, both primary and both bootable - W7 & XP) is no longer a “system, Boot, Page Files, Active, Crash Dump” partition. Now it simply reads “Primary Partition”. You think this means something? Or does it only read this way now because i booted from the ssd?
Thanks again in advance!

Because you booted from the ssd, you need to unplug your ssd to boot into your old drive

It would probably help to mark that partition on the WD as active, then try booting or repairing as necessary.

[QUOTE=bean55;2674884]In the BIOS if you installed a SSD Drive you should have turned it from IDE to AHCI you will need to turn that back to IDE[/QUOTE]

i never turned it to AHCI… i couldnt. It BSOD’d me everytime i tried… so i kept it IDE…

[QUOTE=bean55;2674886]Because you booted from the ssd, you need to unplug your ssd to boot into your old drive[/QUOTE]

ive tried that already… unplugged power AND sata cable… still no dice tho.
thanks