Old hard drive into new build?

vbimport

hi, if i build a new pc, could i use the old(well 8month old) hard drive out of that machine?
would a new motherboard be able to take the set up?
i am using vista 32bit
mark

Hi :slight_smile:
Mark, if I am right in what your asking.
Then the answer is no.
If you take the old HDD (with current OS), then put it into a new set up.
It is highly unlikely it will work.
The mobo drivers are almost certainly different.
Even if using an identical board to the old one (unlikely).
You often find that there are revisions to that board making it a bit like chalk & cheese.
If however I have this wrong & you just want to use the storage on the old HDD.
Then provided you have enough of the right connections to go round.
It should work.

Hi md74,
8 months is not old, also if you are happy with your hard drive use it.

I’ve used hard drives several years old when mobo upgrades were done for Win98 and Win2k systems without problems, and I think it should work for later Windows too. Note upgraded systems I’ve done booted to the old hard drives, but drivers for new mobo that are on CD supplied with mobo have to be installed to function properly. Also note all upgrades I’ve done were from self built systems and not from Dell, HP, etc. It may well not work if hard drive is from one of those major manufacturer’s system, but it won’t hurt to try.

Apparently the edit option is now longer available, and I tried to use the back button and submit again to correct my misspelling of the word “with.” It reposted the entire reply with the correction instead of doing only the correction.

Also I now have to login every time before I can reply whereas I used to be able to stay logged in, but that too must have changed with the latest changes to the CDFreaks site.

Hi,[QUOTE=bevills1;2474725]Apparently the edit option is now longer available, and I tried to use the back button and submit again to correct my misspelling of the word “with.” It reposted the entire reply with the correction instead of doing only the correction.[/quote]deleted the first one :wink:

Also I now have to login every time before I can reply whereas I used to be able to stay logged in, but that too must have changed with the latest changes to the CDFreaks site.
I had a similar problem some time ago. Something was messed up with the cookies. Deleted them and all was fine then.

Michael

I have used the same hdd with several upgrades of mobo’s, CPU’s, etc., etc.,
I always un-install the mobo drivers then run Driver Cleaner Pro to get any of
the left overs then shut down do the upgrade and fire it back up then install
the new mobo drivers. I’ve never had a problem doing it this way just make
sure all of the mobo drivers are not on there and you should be fine. You will
need to re-activate Windows if you are using XP or above which is painless…
…most of the time that is. :bigsmile:

This is done on my own home built system not sure how well it would
work on a factory built system like HP, Dell, etc., etc., :confused:

I deleted the list of sites for which cookies are either allowed or blocked, and I’m now able to remain logged in, and that restored the edit option too. I must have unintentionally blocked a cookie that allows one to remain logged in as well as edit posts. Thanks to mciahel for that tip.