Old drive is crapping out, looking for recommendations on a new one

vbimport

I currently have a Lite-on LH-20A1H with LL0D firmware and recently it’s been acting up: Failing power calibrations on any and all media, failing to write files to disks, and not reading discs when I put them in (the activity light just stays on and nothing happens) and I’ve had enough of it. I’m now in the market for a SATA drive that is extremely feature rich, but most importantly it has to support changing booktype, because of my old dvd players is picky about having DVD-ROM’s. I’ve googled a bit and It looks like the SH-S203N is the best I can get, but I would rather ask first then be sorry later. I greatly appreciate any help i can get. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

If you can still find one, the 203N is a great choice, I have one myself.

If you’re not concerned about voiding warranty, there’s a great little utility by C0deKing that will permanently set booktype, amongst other nifty things.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2131080]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

If you can still find one, the 203N is a great choice, I have one myself.

If you’re not concerned about voiding warranty, there’s a great little utility by C0deKing that will permanently set booktype, amongst other nifty things.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I’ve found a seller on ebay that i’m going to go with. Is there anything else I should do with the drive when I get it, like any special firmware thats out besides the manufactures?

Nope - you can load the official firmware into this utility and patch it to your heart’s desire, though :wink:

I’ve successfully patched the Sammy firmware and use it on my own drive. :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2131161]Nope - you can load the official firmware into this utility and patch it to your heart’s desire, though :wink:

I’ve successfully patched the Sammy firmware and use it on my own drive. ;)[/QUOTE]

Sounds great I’m going to order it this weekend. Thank you so much for the help.

You’re welcome, enjoy your drive when you get it :wink: