Old burner making good backups?

vbimport

I recently joined this forum and decided to check the quality of the Discs i’ve been burning.
I got shocked when i noticed the Discs my LG burner was making were very crappy and had tons of PIF errors and very high PI ratings.

So i decided to test the burns on my Sony DW-D26A (JYS1 firmware) that had been in my PC since 2005, but never been used to burn.

The media used is RitekG05, for which i’ve seen many complaints about their quality degrading fast.

Heres my scan results from Kprobe v2.5.2
Do these burns look good enough to safely store them and not worry about them going bad soon?
Or should i check them again in a few months?

Ritek G05…

Is perhaps the best media if you got a fussy PS2 console or DVD player and need a burn that will work. Quick fix only though as after a few months maybe a year or two if lucky, you’re buggered.

Ritek G05 gave meaning to the word “degrading”. They will not last the test of time.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2020229]Ritek G05…

Is perhaps the best media if you got a fussy PS2 console or DVD player and need a burn that will work. Quick fix only though as after a few months maybe a year or two if lucky, you’re buggered.

Ritek G05 gave meaning to the word “degrading”. They will not last the test of time.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this: Ritek G05 media=:Z

[QUOTE=Rookie41;2020117]
Do these burns look good enough to safely store them and not worry about them going bad soon?
Or should i check them again in a few months?[/QUOTE]

The others have said it all…they look good now, as G05s often do, but give it a month or so, maybe even less, then poof :smiley:

From your post I get the impression this is important data…so I’d back it up to Verbatim quicksmart :wink:

BTW, welcome to CDF :slight_smile:

OMG!!! :eek: :eek: RitekG05 :Z :Z you never ever put any thing on that disc that you want to keep
for any length of time. :disagree: Yeah the scans may look good for the time being but go back and do
another scan in say 1 to 3 months later and you may be in for a big surprise on how fast they
degrade and you loose your data on them.:sad: They are alright for something like a short term
give away disc where it doesn’t matter about the data on them but for long term storage you’d
be better off using something like Verbatim or TY discs. :iagree:

I just finished checking through my DVD collection and re-burning anything on crappy media. Most things were salvaged but I was too late for a couple Ritek G05 discs as they’ed already degraded too much to be recovered. Very nasty media indeed.