Old age question, but which modern Lite-on is the best choice?

Hi, I just lost another CD-ROM on my other pc, its the third one, and I’ve decided to put my foot down. No more CD-ROM drives, only CD-RW ones. I already have a Lite-on 32x (overclocked to 48x) on another computer, but right now I’m really stumped on what to buy.

My choices are:

• Lite-On LTR-48125W $65.69 (My number one choice right now) (Not upgradeable) (Suppose to support Mt Rainer according to cdrlabs.com’s review) (The bad things I’ve read are that its loud when writing, has questionable writing quality with some medias, and more than normal # of errors when reading from scracted/dirty CDs)
  • Lite-On LTR-48125S $? (I can’t find a price cause most of the time it doesn’t say the model number, and when rarely it does it only shows it for the W model, so I don’t know which are the S models)
  • Lite-On LTR-40125 $51.85 (Don’t know if S or W) (According to the FAQ, it can either be upgraded to 48125W or is just plain impossible)
  • Lite-On LTR-32123 $50.8 (Don’t know if S or W) (According to the FAQ, it can either be upgraded to 40125S or 48125W)
  • Or maybe even wait for LTR-48246S? (I doubt I will, but I’d like to hear experienced ppl’s opinions)

After all this I’m probably just gonna buy LTR-48125W, but I’d like to be sure of my buying, cause 65 bux is still a lot of money to me. Despite already having a Lite-On, I rarely use it, so I’m still pretty new to Lite-On. What I’m looking for is mainly speed and compatibility, as in with CD-R media, namingly CMC media, as I just bought like half a dozen spindles of those (They were on sale for like 50pack for $2.50), and yeah I know firmware updates would probably give better compatibilty, but still u know. Would like to know the different between the 48x S and W, plz don’t do a whole thread on that, one answer from someone would be enough, what exactly is the different, besides what I’ve heard about the S being possibility likely to be able to be upgraded, I’m concerned more about features in the two different firmware.

So which is the better choice? Before or after an upgrade?

Btw, I’m buying everything and getting all my prices off www.pricewatch.com, and all prices are after s/h.

No contest, get the 48125W. by far the best value.

Yea guess your right, only a 10 dollar difference between it and the 32x. But I’ve heard it has a higher than normal cpu utilization when being used, is that still true? Cuz I’m gonna be using it on a P3 533mhz, 512MB RAM, 10GB HDD, n WinXP.

Wait (one month???) for LTR-48246S

Get a 48126S and overclock to 48246S (I hope that it really works)

I’ve heard it has a higher than normal cpu utilization

I don’t know how these rumors get started. It’s no different than any of the LiteOns. Check the reviews at CDRLabs.

I don’t know how these rumors get started. It’s no different than any of the LiteOns. Check the reviews at CDRLabs.

I actually got that from CDRLabs.com, but I guess maybe a newer firmware would have solved that. Now only two issues left, firmware and whether I should wait.

Anyone know what the price for the 48126S or 48246S is suppose to be after it is released?

I also got the impression from CDFreaks.com’s review of the 40125S, as it shows using the VSO2 and VSO6 firmwares to upgrade to the 48125W drive, that the VSO2 seemed to be faster and had less error than the VSO6. I’ve read on some threads I’ve searched that says VSO2 is faster, but VSO6 has better media compatiblity. while the VSO6 is suppose to be better for poorer quality medias (like CMC), but why is it that it seemed to have poorer write quality AND speed on that test?

Also, can anyone email me or give me to the link to the vso6 firmware?

Thnx all

Originally posted by dfourthhorseman

So which is the better choice? Before or after an upgrade?

What ever you buy you will be outdated! So if you really need a CDR/W buy the cheapest that you can upgrade, as long as this works…