Hi, I just lost another CD-ROM on my other pc, its the third one, and I’ve decided to put my foot down. No more CD-ROM drives, only CD-RW ones. I already have a Lite-on 32x (overclocked to 48x) on another computer, but right now I’m really stumped on what to buy.
My choices are:
- Lite-On LTR-48125W $65.69 (My number one choice right now) (Not upgradeable) (Suppose to support Mt Rainer according to cdrlabs.com’s review) (The bad things I’ve read are that its loud when writing, has questionable writing quality with some medias, and more than normal # of errors when reading from scracted/dirty CDs)
- Lite-On LTR-48125S $? (I can’t find a price cause most of the time it doesn’t say the model number, and when rarely it does it only shows it for the W model, so I don’t know which are the S models)
- Lite-On LTR-40125 $51.85 (Don’t know if S or W) (According to the FAQ, it can either be upgraded to 48125W or is just plain impossible)
- Lite-On LTR-32123 $50.8 (Don’t know if S or W) (According to the FAQ, it can either be upgraded to 40125S or 48125W)
- Or maybe even wait for LTR-48246S? (I doubt I will, but I’d like to hear experienced ppl’s opinions)
After all this I’m probably just gonna buy LTR-48125W, but I’d like to be sure of my buying, cause 65 bux is still a lot of money to me. Despite already having a Lite-On, I rarely use it, so I’m still pretty new to Lite-On. What I’m looking for is mainly speed and compatibility, as in with CD-R media, namingly CMC media, as I just bought like half a dozen spindles of those (They were on sale for like 50pack for $2.50), and yeah I know firmware updates would probably give better compatibilty, but still u know. Would like to know the different between the 48x S and W, plz don’t do a whole thread on that, one answer from someone would be enough, what exactly is the different, besides what I’ve heard about the S being possibility likely to be able to be upgraded, I’m concerned more about features in the two different firmware.
So which is the better choice? Before or after an upgrade?
Btw, I’m buying everything and getting all my prices off www.pricewatch.com, and all prices are after s/h.