Okay to write on discs with a marker?

vbimport

Sorry to dig up old threads like, but I’ve always used a generic, no-named marker pens from Poundland and a black Sharpie - Very nice to grip with, doesn’t feel scratchy to use (Infact it probably is too slick!) and very nice to write with, not those garbage pens which more represent a ballpoint or a highlighter! :doh:

One more thing… dont’ write on Blu Ray discs… what I do is put them in the disc sleeve and attach a post-it with the contents (written by sharpie) and taped down for extra measure at the corners (can’t trust that post-it glue). Sadly, I don’t have time to archive everything and it’s mother… I only record down the good stuff these days :wink:

Hi everyone,

I went thru this whole thread, but still haven’t found the answer, so here is the question: do you think it is safe to use for writing on disc paint markers? The main difference is, that paint markers covers the material you are writing on, so you can use it for writing even on black parts of vinyl disks (or other disks that have dark surface, where regular CD or another marker isn’t visible). I don’t know the exact chemical structure, but on the cover, there is written that it is Oil Based, and the pen smells quite like the paint you use for painting the fences for example…

Thanks in advance.

On DVDs and BDs, probably. On CDs I’m not so sure. FWIW, Sharpie makes some silver metallic markers that are not paint based that work very well on dark discs. They’re bound to be less risky than paint.

OK, thanks a lot.

I would like to use the Sakura Pigma Micron pens to write on Taiyo Yuden White WaterShield CD-R’s.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;557218]Don’t mind BoSkin—I don’t think he can help it.

If you really want to be safe, just mark in the clear area in the center of the disk. But I really don’t think you’ll have problems with a sharpie anyway.[/QUOTE]

That is a cool idea. Isn’t it difficult to write nicely around such a small circle? I want to buy a ruler with 10mm letter cutouts.

Yes, it is fine using markers.
But dry it up first, before putting into the drive.

Additionally, for more important data, always make backups. Make a redundant backup on a DVD-R (crappy quality). If your original DVD is slowly dying, your copy most likely will contain a copy of the affected sectors.