Okay to write on discs with a marker?

vbimport

CD Media comes in different finishes on the top: painted silkscreen, unpainted shiny silver, frosted matte.

Those 3 are the main types one will encounter.

I have tried a Sharpie Fine Point, a TDK CD Mark (Ultra-Fine), A Staedtler CD Mark and a long ago pen since worn out.

The sharpies seem best only for shiny smooth surfaces… on frosted surfaces I see a bit of bleed. They are ok on silkscreen too. The ink on this appears to apply deeply but as it dries you can slightly see a bit of ‘fade’ in the middle.

The TDK CD Mark seems best only on silkscreen and frosted, and terrible on shiny. Ink application deepness totally depends on the surface, some are better than others (silkscreen being best)…

The Staedtler which I can’t seem to find on my desk and which has had it’s tip ruined by someone who thought it was a normal pen and used it as such, seems to be good on all 3 surfaces based on looking at past discs from long ago. The ink on this from what I can see seems dark and rich.

There are other brands on the market now, like Memorex, etc. How do those compare?

I’m also wondering what colour people think is best. If the top of the CD is silver, do you prefer a nice blue, black or another color?
What if the CD surface is another colour like gold?

Also, what tip? I think the Sharpie fine point is too ‘broad’ while the TDK Ultra-Fine is a little too fine… an in-between would be good… from what I can see, I did have this in-between once… It was my first pen that I don’t remember the maker for, the Staedtler might be ok too maybe if someone doesn’t ruin the tip.

The CD pen, the underappreciated part of burning.

I usually just write on top of my DVDs, but I just read that Sharpies aren’t good to use for marking DVDs. Are there any alternatives?

Sharpies are fine. Any alcohol based marker is harmless.

Marker

Thanks for the search, but you don’t seem to understand the question. There wasn’t a recommendation for a marker in your search string – That is what I am after.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Any alcohol based marker is harmless.

What’s about water based markers?

Are they more safe to use or is it all the same?

Andy :smiley:

Originally posted by WebTech Inc
[B]What’s about water based markers?

Are they more safe to use or is it all the same?

Andy :smiley: [/B]

Guess it depends on whether you need it to be permanent. Yes, water is safe.

Originally posted by John-K

There wasn’t a recommendation for a marker in your search string
How many of 122 topics did you study ?

Obviously not all. I am not that obsessive.

If you find my question unnecessary or in some way noxious, please do not respond.

Don’t mind BoSkin—I don’t think he can help it.

If you really want to be safe, just mark in the clear area in the center of the disk. But I really don’t think you’ll have problems with a sharpie anyway.

Originally posted by Kerry56

But I really don’t think you’ll have problems with a sharpie anyway.
Wow ! What a splendid help !

edit: off-topic stuff removed

John-K
My apologies for the disruption of your thread.

pointless off-topic stuff removed.

more pointless off-topic stuff removed

Here’s what I’d use :

Edding

MultiMedia Markers

CD Markers

Is the SHARPIE marker safe for writing on CD’s?

Sanford has used SHARPIE markers on CDs for years and we have never experienced a problem.
We do not believe that the SHARPIE ink can affect these CDs, however we have not performed any long-term laboratory testing to verify this. We have spoken to many major CD manufacturers about this issue. They use the SHARPIE markers on CDs internally as well, and do not believe that the SHARPIE ink will cause any harm to their products.

still more off-topic stuff removed

I think this thread has gone far enough, question appears to be answered.

I got bunch of these from meritline.com:

LinK

(25 Pack Genuine Ritek G04 1X-4X DVD-R (Silver Shiny) Blank Media 4.7GB for General Purpose DVDR Disc (Discs) $0.53 Each)

Now, they are silver at the top and purple in the bottom, so i am wondering if its ok to use a Redisharp marker or a sharpie to write on top (silver side) of these. Would that be alright?

Thanks.