Ok, what movies should I get?

vbimport

I was given a gift card for Barnes and Noble…one of the most overpriced book/dvd/music sites on the internet. But hey, can’t look a free gift card in the mouth now can we?

I’d like to get a movie or two that I haven’t seen, and is actually worth watching.

If you want to join in, nominate one or two movies made in the last 10yrs that you think are worth watching. I must warn anyone chiming in that I am extremely picky, but will appreciate any suggestions.

WARNING! Next section is bitter and elitist. Read with caution.

I like comedies that are witty, not stupid. Dumb and dumber comedies tend to piss me off rather than amuse me.
I like dramas and action shows with well written plots starring people who can actually act, not completely unreasonable events occurring with ever greater explosions to punctuate the nonsense.
I like well-crafted romantic comedies, though there haven’t been more than three made in the last 10 yrs that meet that criteria.
Sci-fi is a favorite genre, though I’ve probably seen most new films in this category.
Horror/slasher/teen drivel I can do without.

END OF BABBLING IDIOT PREFERENCES

So, you got anything that I may have missed? Out of the mainstream is perfectly fine…I have been watching more and more obscure films or foreign films since Hollywood has become such a wasteland.

Here here few off the top of my head.

Sideways, Smart People, The Notebook, Message in a Bottle, Open Range, The Unforgiven (Eastwood version), Dogma, Legends of the Fall, Ronin, Where the Heart Is, Flags of Our Fathers, The Legend of Bagger Vance, Seabiscut, The Shawshank Redemption, The Departed, LA Confidential, Reservoir Dogs, The Green Mile, all three Bourne movies, V for Vendetta, The Thing (1982), Twelve Monkeys

This link will give you a ton of choices: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Imdb.com is one of my favorite sites on the net. I comb through the various reviews there quite often.

Of the movies you’ve listed the only ones I haven’t seen are Dogma, Smart People, and Where the Heart Is

I’ve been considering Dogma, but haven’t seen it at a local rental shop, so it might be a good candidate for purchase. I’ll look through the other suggestions. Thanks.

Anyone else who wants to chime in feel free. :slight_smile:

KERRY56
Well given that you really don’t like dumb
comedy. I wasn’t sure wether to give you some
recomemdations since it’s october holloween.
Anyway maybe just for fun.
ZAP.:bigsmile::confused:
THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN,POEYE IN SPOOKY SWABS,
BILL GOLDBERG IN SANTAS SLAY,ANYTHING BY LAUREL/HARDY
ABBOTT/COSTELLO IN HOLD THAT GHOST.

Thanks but no thanks zap em. Looking for gems that have escaped my notice over the last ten yrs or so.

I know the earlier films pretty well, at least the ones that interest me.

I know you mentioned their internet site, but do they have a store in your town? If so here’s a link for both a complimentary cappuccino and a 15% off 1 item coupon(s).

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=24816&r=1

Rusty

P.S. Can’t remember if posting links to coupons is ok? If not please delete.

Thanks Rusty, but the nearest B & N is 60 miles away…and that stupid store has ZERO movie dvds in it. If there was a new sci-fi novel I was interested in, I might drop by. Oh, and I dislike all forms of coffee, so the coupon would be wasted on me.

Maybe someone else can use it. Good of you to post it.

I would have suggested the Notebook :slight_smile: that is almost a main stay in the home library :slight_smile:

No I can’t, I will let bigmike do it. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

One I left off is Bad Santa. It is one of the great comedies, IMO. It’s not for children though. A few others that come to mind are The Ice Harvest, War, Inc., Grosse Pointe Blank and High Fidelity. I’m a John Cusack fan.

[QUOTE=Sexy_Southerner;2141794]I would have suggested the Notebook :slight_smile: that is almost a main stay in the home library :)[/QUOTE]

I could watch Rachel McAdams in anything and be entertained. :clap:

Here is a few more.

[B]Bad Company[/B] - Staring: Anthony Hopkins,Chris Rock

[B]Heat[/B] - Staring: Al Pacino,Robert De Niro,Val Kilmer

[B]Behind Enemy Lines[/B] - Staring: Gene Hackman,Owen Wilson

[B]The Score[/B] - Staring: Robert De Niro,Edward Norton,Angela Bassett,Marlon Brando

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2141782]Thanks but no thanks zap em. Looking for gems that have escaped my notice over the last ten yrs or so.

I know the earlier films pretty well, at least the ones that interest me.[/QUOTE]

My all time favourite has already been mentioned (The Shawshank Redemption) but ‘Deja Vu’ and ‘Fracture’ are my two next favourite movies in recent years.

Fantastic scripts and superb acting.

‘Runaway Jury’ was pretty good too as was ‘Enemy At The Gates’.

On the comedy side of things ‘Hot Fuzz’ is my top pick but I’d also recommend ‘50 First Dates’, ‘Shaun Of The Dead’, ‘I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry’, ‘Blades Of Glory’, ‘Superbad’ & ‘Old School’.

As far as horror goes ‘Stir of Echoes’, ‘The Ring’ are superb and ‘The Sixth Sense’ is also one of my favourites.

You’ve probably already seen most of them though. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

It’s been 11 years and you probably already saw it, but I have to mention The Fifth Element.

Another one is a French masterpiece: Le Fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain.

BTW I also think Dogma nominated above is well worth watching.

[quote=UTR;2141734]Here here few off the top of my head.

This link will give you a ton of choices: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top[/quote]

Thanks for the 250 Movies as Voted by our uses :clap:

I also go on imdb or click on links people leave BEST COLLECTIONS of Films Around :flower:

I just found War Inc., at the rental store, so I’ll watch it and see if I like it well enough to buy later. (Thanks for the recommendation UTR).

Lots of movies mentioned already that I like, many others that rub me the wrong way, but that’s normal…I said I’m picky :slight_smile:

Drage, I love The Fifth Element and Amelie. Amelie is one of my all time favorite comedies. Have you seen a German film called Mostly Martha? It is a very good movie, though hard to pin down in a category, as it contains elements of drama, comedy and romance mixed together.

So far Dogma is on the list of movies to be bought.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2141901]It’s been 11 years and you probably already saw it, but I have to mention The Fifth Element.
[/QUOTE]

Fifth Element is excellent. I watch it about every time it comes on the TV. Funny how that is since I do have the DVD! Another sci-fi I put in the same league with it is Dark City

“Down Fall” produced and directed by German film maker is very good to watch.

the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy ?

[quote=Kerry56;2142311]Have you seen a German film called Mostly Martha? It is a very good movie, though hard to pin down in a category, as it contains elements of drama, comedy and romance mixed together.[/quote] No, I haven’t seen Mostly Martha yet.