Ok what I do wrong, new burner 3500, slow speed?

Hi, just got myself a new 3500 burner. I am trying to burn a merged AVI file. It s a three disk compilation. I am using NERO 6 with the latest update ( reloaded or sumin?) I setup all my menus and stuff and merged the avi, got the the burn stage and set it to 8X rather than max. I am using RIDISK 8X -R the blue ones if it helps? I have a A64 3500+ Nforce 3 chipset, MSI NEO2 Plat, latest drivers. Win XP SP2 fully updated.

Now the problem, I selected burn ( which it is doing atm with no ability to abort :a ) I cant see the speed its burning at, I am using nerovision express 3. I updated the firmware to 2.17 before I tried anything btw. Anyway its taking nearly 2hrs to burn :eek: Obviously I have a setting wrong or sumin? It must be running @ 1X speed :Z

Do you have the same problem wit any DVD media? :confused:

If so, remove the “latest” nForce IDE/ATAPI drivers, install M$ default ones.
Simply remove the IDE-channel drive is connected on, restart and let Windoze install the “good” ones. :wink:

Nope this is the only media I have used. I was wondering if i got a setting wrong in nero?

I don´t use this Nero app so I can´t help you there.

Are you saying the LED on drive was on for two hours? That the drive was active all that time?

BTW, the total time for this compilation “can” be as long as two hours. The (AVI) files have to be transcoded to MPEG-2 format and so on…

Nope the light kept going on and off. You would see the video, then it would dissapear… So the light was not on all the time. The burner never got up to speed at all :a

Here is the media I am using, RIDISC

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TTG02]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [TDK Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [TTG02]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x , 6x , 8x]
[6x And Higher Might Not Always Be Detectable]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Some more info as well

** INFO : An Empty Writable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : Drive = _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG [FW 2.17]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW DVD-R DVD-RW
** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:TTG02]
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 11080 KBPS ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 8310 KBPS ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 5540 KBPS ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 2770 KBPS ( 2.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
Descriptor #1 = 8467 KBPS ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 7056 KBPS ( 5.09x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
Descriptor #3 = 5645 KBPS ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 4234 KBPS ( 3.06x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
Descriptor #5 = 2822 KBPS ( 2.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #6 = 1411 KBPS ( 1.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
** WARNING : Drive May Have Returned Incorrect Descriptors

TDK is decent media… :wink:

I still think you have a IDE/ATAPI driver problem. nForce chipset are known for their bad support regarding optical drives, not only NEC 3500.

But first, before removing your drivers, try this driver link. A few members have reported success using them on nForce2 & 3 mobos.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_ide_4.15_win2KXP.html

:slight_smile:

Oops already removed. The AVI I had was a DIVX if that helps? The burn was crap, got a annoying green line along the bottom.

Anyway here is a blank disk speed test and burned test.

Now we know one thing for sure. Your drive is working okay, when not burning AVI, divX or what ever it was. :wink:

I think you have to do some read-in before your next attempt burning that kinda compilations…

Try to backup a movie you have at home, using DVD Decrypter and/or DVD Shrink. (Both freeware.) Post back with your results. :cool:

Yep, that data disc and transfer rate graph looks perfect!

2 hours to burn?
Nerovision express might be encoding the video and turning it into DVD compliant files before the burn. That could be why it’s taking so long.
What was the exact length of the entire operation?

It took 2.5 hours :eek: Yeah I think it might be to do with nero trying to encode it? Anyway I can avoid that and do a straight burn? I gotta go to sleep now, 4AM here lol, but please keep your replies coming I will be back tomoz to check :bow: