Ok, Time for some honesty... Video cards

vbimport

Ok, Time for some honesty… Video cards…

Who else gets confused by the “Numeral soup”

I understood when Nvidia cards were diffeentiated by four digit numbers
(GS 8400, GT 9800, etc) but got completely lost when they switched to three digit numbers.

Who else does not have a tight grip on this topic?

Who else would like a SIMPLE explanation of the jargon?

AD

A simple jargon would be more practical for most of us…:clap:

Yeah, shopping for NVidias was a bigger pain than necessary when they decided the 3-Digits were the new 5-Digits.

I really don’t understand this belief that “Tomorrow won’t ever happen - let’s call everything 9999” numbering nonsense. What’s wrong with 1, 2, 3?

Just after XP was released, MS had a large booth near ours at a convention, and the techies were all asking people, “OK, XP, I know, but what VERSION of Windows do you have? Go to Control Panel and read out the numbers…”

Sometimes I’d hear them dig deeper and want to fnid a version of some DLL.

1, 2, 3… so simple… the sky won’t fall when “10” gets used, either.

I know that, by avoiding sailing over the edge on our flat planet, all of my gasoline additives will make sure I can drive out to the Fake Moon Landing TV-Zone near Roswell, probably where Elvis and Lee Harvey are selling tickets to the midway carny. [I]“3 for a dollar - everyone wins something! You’ll never lose-!”[/I]

And that the planet won’t suddenly whirl to its demise when Version “20” is used either.

It would also be nice if they didn’t rebrand a older series card as a newer series card.

It was easy to see the differences among 286, 386, and 486, and also between SX and DX. It’s not as easy whether Nehalem is Core X or i5 is 2xxx or 3xxx. G530 is a Celeron, but G640 is a Pentium.

I can remember 680GTX just fine.:bigsmile::bigsmile:

It would also be nice if they didn’t rebrand a older series card as a newer series card.

This is so true,although mostly for budget and mainstream cards…and happens by both Nvidia and ATI…:Z

I can remember 680GTX just fine. :bigsmile::bigsmile:

That’s easy to remember,even for me…:bigsmile:

Well my current boggle is I want to upgrade my Nvidia Ge Force 9600GT video card
(it works but even playing Battle of Britain the clouds are sometimes visibly composed of floating whirling letters)

The thing is I don’t know enough about video cards to know if an 9800GT card is enough of an upgrade or how much of a “new” three digit card is necissary to be worthwile… I do know that there is about as likelihood of me spending as much as $100 on a video card as my being drafted by BOTH political parties as candidate for President for THIS election.

I’m actually more likely to accept a used card from
someone else who upgraded…

The ard I’m using now is a “hand me down” from a friend who upgraded
conveniently it is an identical card to that which was removed (as dead) from my computer when the original pointed it’s nipples to the sky…

but as for actually shopping I won’t buy a card other that doesn’t have an HDMI output and will likely come from Newegg’s list of “open box” video cards.

I would try craigslist, and keep it local to avoid paying for something you may never see. you can also bargain and make a trade of something else the person may want.

Just one thing… Good Hunting :slight_smile: chances are probably as likely as

being drafted by BOTH political parties as candidate for President for THIS election.

[QUOTE=AcEric87;2651981]I would try craigslist, and keep it local to avoid paying for something you may never see. you can also bargain and make a trade of something else the person may want.

Just one thing… Good Hunting :slight_smile: chances are probably as likely as[/QUOTE]

This is a decent card for 95 bucks. And there’s a $20 rebate to boot:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1366279&CatId=7005

I consider mail-in rebates to be little more than a lie.

IT is against my personal policy to consider a mail-in-rebate.

I’ve bought things and been informed of the rebate a number of times but out of the more than a dozen times I carefully packed all required stuff together I’ve gotten the actual rebate ONCE, so I don’t consider them worth reading, let alone
bother to waste postage mailing the form in.

I was thinking something more like THIS:

But I passed up one of these “open box” yesterday for $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121630

Here’s an EVGA GTX 550 Ti for the same price with better rebate (since you love them so much). At that EVGA has had better quality of the GeForce series compared to other products, and this one also has better clock speeds than the ASUS.

Since you don’t like rebates, how about a sale price:
GTX 460 GDDR5 256 bit card, $79.99:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GTX460-PCIE-1GB-PB&utm_source=geekmail&utm_medium=daily_html&utm_content=Product&utm_campaign=OPTI745DT_27aug12

Also, that first card would be a major step down in performance from your 9800GT

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2652000]I consider mail-in rebates to be little more than a lie.

IT is against my personal policy to consider a mail-in-rebate.

I’ve bought things and been informed of the rebate a number of times but out of the more than a dozen times I carefully packed all required stuff together I’ve gotten the actual rebate ONCE, so I don’t consider them worth reading, let alone
bother to waste postage mailing the form in.

I was thinking something more like THIS:

But I passed up one of these “open box” yesterday for $65

Part of the problem with the nomenclature is the median price for a graphics card is bottlenecked in a range… $89 - $250… And all except the high end, you haven’t seen the needle move much in terms of performance from a graphics card that’s 2 years old… granted, the deck plates rearrange: Direct-X, OpenGl— and then throw in the shader model, textels, fill rates,stream processor counts, processor frequency, ram frequency, and resolutions upto 4k, as benchmarks to say whether a “game” will work properly or be compatible… Ugh, it’s a mess… but all-in-all you see not much innovation and alot of shifting and confusion of standards…

Right now game companies are afraid to stray from the universal Direct-X 10/11 holy grail for fear of losing customers but for how long?

Both Intel and Amd have DELAYED introducing products until game companies commit to giving customers a reason to buy new graphics cards… (chicken & the egg). Obviously, you don’t need a new video card to play 1080p video, play soletaire, or do desktop word processing. At last count, AMD/ATI has a slight edge on value for the mid-grade video cards in the $89 - $249 range.

If you want some comparisons…
amd 5xxx & 6xxx range was comparable to nvidias 7000 series… and the new 7000 and 8000 series (AMD) are comparable to the new 3 digits we have today (confused yet?)… I think since the 6600 nvidia’s they’ve caught up to DX-11 compatability… But we’re talking about 3+ year old cards. vs cards released in the last 6 - 12 months. Consumers are quick to orphan older generations of graphics cards in favor of new ones, however you will likely SKIP a few generations of graphics cards between systems (or rebuilds & upgrades… as these product cycles are 5 - 10 years for a new pc vs 12-24 months for graphics cards). They are starting to get the message to slow innovation, but that’s not having an effect on releasing the new “style” with relatively the same benchmarks so consumers will still be fleeced out of spending money on a “new” product even if it’s substantially the same and the “old” product

I’m just giving an example of my MSI (amd)5750 card I bought 2+ years ago vs 7750s, 7850s made today… substantially the SAME benchmarks… 128bit processors & all…

Here (in order) are the most relevant series of nVidia cards recently (for the OP) with individual examples:

1. 7000
    Examples: 7600GS, 7600GT, 7800GT, 7800GTX, 7950GTX

2. 8000
    Examples: 8400GS, 8600GTS, 8800GS, 8800GT, 8800GTX, 8800GTX+

3. 9000
    Examples: 9500GT, 9600GT, 9800GT, 9800GTX, 9800GTX+

4. GTX200
    Examples: GTX260, GTX280, GTX285, GTX290, GTX295

5. GTX400, GT240, GT430, GT440, GTS250, GTS450
    Examples: GTX460, GTX465, GTX470, GTX480
    (GT240, GT430, GT440, GTS250 and GTS450 rank below the GTX460).

6. GTX500, GT520
    Examples: GTX550Ti, GTX560, GTX560Ti, GTX570, GTX580, GTX590
    (GT520 way below GTX550Ti, and performs worse than a GT430)

7. GTX600*, GT610, GT620
    Examples: GTX660Ti, GTX670, GTX680, GTX690
    (Both GT610 and GT620 are similar to GT430 and GT520, but perform worse than the GT430)

• denotes current generation

Quite a few of the HD5000 and HD6000 series cards are much better than the nVidia 7000 series cards. For example: the HD5670 was roughly equivalent to a 8800GT. Even the low end HD5550 performs better than 7800GT (actually performs on par with a 9600GT or GT240 or GT520). The HD6000 cards fall inbetween the HD5000 cards individually. For example the HD6850 and the HD6870 bracketed my old HD5830 (6850 > 5830 > 6850 - barely). The HD5000 and HD6000 cards were competing with the GTX400 series cards primarily.

Over at OCN, they have a rather nice (and updated) thread on how each card released since…well…since a long time ago stack up against each other based on reviews and performance: http://www.overclock.net/t/502403/graphics-card-ranking-5th-time-and-last-updated-daily

Yeah, I was being nice by saying they skipped a gen on the +1k series.
The problem is consumers aren’t exactly wow’d by expensive fancy video cards anymore… they’d rather buy the cheapest they can get away with and OC like mad while keeping a respectable lifespan intact. Add to this the fact that the PC biz is in the funky downturn and we really don’t know if AMD can survive much longer. Would the US government give AMD some sweet incentives to come back roaring again? Doubtful-- most of the goodies are doled out to the OIL industry just for the privilege to buy $4 a gallon of gasoline.

Well, the 9600GT 256mb card I have now is made by Apollo (whoever that is)
and the card’s previous owner replaced it with a Galaxy GT430 with 1gb

I happen to kow my current card has 64 Cuda cores (more would be "nice"
for video conversions) more memory would be nice

As would dual DVI or better Dial HDMI outputs.

The most advanced game I’m likely to buy is the latest edition
of M$ flight simulator…

But meanwhile I’m still looking and still not understanding it all.