Ok, now what could be the problem

After extensive research and discussion I gathered considerable information about CDR Media from various sites.

I was using Imation (CMC) media all this time and it gave me thousands of errors. I decided to buy “Creativ” media, manufactured by Ritek (dye 7, which is supposed to be good).

anyway, the thing is…

when I used that media to burn stuff on my cousin’s PC, it burnt fine without any errors. CDSpeed didnt report ANY errors!

But then, when I used this same media on my PC… I got thousands of errors, especially towards the end of the CD quality check process.

So, the problem is definately not the media!

I use LiteOn 2410B and s507 firmware. My cousin uses the Plextor 16x. We both use Nero.

Please help

Very frustrated.

I did noticed something interesting when I was using Nero on my cousin’s PC… sometimes after burning a CD I got this message like “buffer udnerrun error was encountered x times”… inspite of this, none of the CDs reported any errors while using CDSpeed…
On the other hand, I have never got such a message when I used Nero…

upgrade firmware to 5s5a, still I get thousands of errors!

Did you use CDSpeed on the same drive to test the CD-Rs
written with the LiteOn and the Plextor?

Maybe your LiteOn is better in reading/detecting errors
than the Plextor :confused:

You could also try the Plextor in your computer
to see if there’s really a problem with your LiteOn.

Ok, I installed the Plextor on my PC and its also causing errors now! So, its obviously not the CD writer nor the media!

Its definately something wrong with PC!
I close all programs while copying, infact, I only have explorer and systray running.

halp!

I even installed the latest ASPI drivers (4.7.2) :frowning:

I’ve tried burning using Easy CD Creator, Nero and RecordNowMAX. I even burned at 16x but still nothing. The errors still persist!

I am wondering maybe my LiteOn’s laser is dirty, should I buy one of those CDROM cleaning kits? where you put a special CD in the drive that cleans the laser? would that help?

Originally posted by GizmoC
[B]I even installed the latest ASPI drivers (4.7.2) :frowning:

I’ve tried burning using Easy CD Creator, Nero and RecordNowMAX. I even burned at 16x but still nothing. The errors still persist!

I am wondering maybe my LiteOn’s laser is dirty, should I buy one of those CDROM cleaning kits? where you put a special CD in the drive that cleans the laser? would that help? [/B]

Stick to ASPI 4.60. Even Plextor is giving errors on your PC. So, nothing to do with the laser.

GizmoC
how is it that you’re sure that the media is not the problem? What happens if you slow the burn speed?

Burning at slow speed doesnt seem to help. I even disabled SMART-BURN but to no avail.

I am pretty sure the media isnt the problem because I used the same media on my cousin’s plextor and my LiteOn. My LiteOn produced thousands and sometimes millions of errors whereas the Plextor didnt report any errors. Infact, I even tested those CDs which I had burnt using the Plextor on my LiteOn and still no errors.

Bottom line, its not the media… or maybe I am missing something?

There’s no reason to assume that because a given media performs well in one burner that it must also do so in another. However, it’s also possible that your burner is ready for the trash. Cleaning it certainly won’t hurt anything. High-quality IDE cable won’t hurt either.
(Disabling SmartBurn does nothing for quality, except possibly make it worse.)
I think perhaps it would be good to post exactly what it is that you’re burning, and how.

GizmoC

I started another thread where I was seeing the same sorta thing happening. If I burn something on my work comp, which is a HP CD16b, then I got no errors no matter what CD drive I checked the disc on. But, If I burned the same thing on my Lite-On 48246S at home, I would get millions of errors, again no matter where they were checked. I was using good media, Verbatim DataLifePlus SuperAZO discs which have always worked on my 2x Memorex burner, 16x rated.

So, the solution that finally worked for me… I tried a Maxell 40x 650mb blank on my Litey and no more errors! Just goes to show that some drives don’t like some media.