Ok. Maybe I am a complete idiot

I was planning on trying to mess around with overclocking my new burner I got today to see what I can get out of it. I believe it is either a 48125W, or a 48246S but wont know for sure until I start flashing and see what works.

I’ve had a look around and have been trying to find all of the possible .bin files I would need to flash the chip because I’d rather not use the windows flash .exe files if possible. Anf I cant seem to find them. is there something I’m blatantly missing, or what? I’ve looked aorund here, and a couple otehr places and I just seem to come up with lots and lots of dead links to different versions.

Right now I’ve got VS08.bin for the 48125W… and thats the only one I could find posted somewhere aside from the links on the lite-on site.

Maybe its sleep depravation finally getting to me and I’m becoming blind to obvious things. But I need some help finding the firmware versions I should try in my burner.

And the burner is a Pacific digital 48x12x48 drive, that I believe is lite-on. the model # listed on the drive is CDR-5w48 which I have been told is at least a 48x24x48 drive, and possibly a 52. It was manufactured in August of 2002, so It could probably either have the 5, or 6 chip in there. I dont think I’ll know for sure till I try to flash.

See the Lite-On Firmwares page. This should have all the firmware you could need. :wink:

The 48x12x48 xx26 series Lite-on burner is a LTR-48126S. If yours is only capable of 12x CD-RW burning, it will not be a 24x CD-RW capable LTR-48246S until it is flashed with that firmware.

I believe it is either a 48125W, or a 48246S but wont know for sure until I start flashing and see what works.

OMG, you do realize Nero, CloneCD, and Nero Info Tool will give you the make and model + firmware right? Make sure you know what model and firmware your lite-on is before flashing the firmware. you don’t wanna kill the lite-on and post like 20 threads asking people to help you revive it.

Originally posted by Stoner
[B]

OMG, you do realize Nero, CloneCD, and Nero Info Tool will give you the make and model + firmware right? Make sure you know what model and firmware your lite-on is before flashing the firmware. you don’t wanna kill the lite-on and post like 20 threads asking people to help you revive it. [/B]

Yea… I do know that. however I dont have this drive installed on any comptuer ATM but will be installing it later tonight to do the flashing. I used Nero to check the firmware on an identical drive at my camp last weekend… and I cant seem to remember what the firmware was right now, but I dont think it matched up with anything known to be on a lite-on drive that I’ve heard mentioned.

Hmmm Goes off to install burner to check now

ok… Nero says the firmware revision is VSG3 I havent seen that one mentioned anywhere around here yet.

So far my plan was to back that one up, then try to flash to a lite-on 48125W VS08, or one of the newer ones… Gotta look around a bit more and see if I can find some more info on exactly what it is that I actually have first though ebfore I decide on what I want to try first.

VSG3, VS08. Do you also see it? Your drive is a 48125W.

That’s a good point, alexnoe. Not only that, but the model no. CDR-5W48 has a “5” prefix, which could also refer to the chipset of a LTR-48125W.

The information at http://www.fpj.idv.tw/Shoping/shop-cdr.htm could be wrong or a misprint. Instead of the CDR-5W48 being a 48W / 24RW / 48R as shown on that site, it could be a 48W / 12RW / 48R.

Originally posted by Inertia
[B]That’s a good point, alexnoe. Not only that, but the model no. CDR-5W48 has a “5” prefix, which could also refer to the chipset of a LTR-48125W.

The information at http://www.fpj.idv.tw/Shoping/shop-cdr.htm could be wrong or a misprint. Instead of the CDR-5W48 being a 48W / 24RW / 48R as shown on that site, it could be a 48W / 12RW / 48R. [/B]

hehe… yea… I assumed it was the 48125W… But was kinda hoping it was newer. I have had many different people tell me different things, and figured I’d just have to try a couple flashes and see what one works to know what it really is. I guess I’ll try the one for the 48125W first, and see if that works fine. I thoguht the 5 in the model would mean it has the 5 chipset in there. but had been told differently. I should have almost everythign I need now. the only thing left to find is a floppy disk to put the files on to do this, and a little bit of time. and hopefully I’ll come out with something good.

This http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6994 thread and this http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6833 thread at the CDRLabs forum deal with this burner and provide additional information. Apparently one user was not able to use the standard Lite-on firmware with it, although it may be possible to flash it with MTKflash

Originally posted by Inertia
This http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6994 thread and this http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6833 thread at the CDRLabs forum deal with this burner and provide additional information. Apparently one user was not able to use the standard Lite-on firmware with it, although it may be possible to flash it with MTKflash

Thanks. I didnt get a chance to try flashing my drive, because my sister came homw and took over the other computer, and I was NOT about to start flashing the firmware and hafe her turn the computer off in the middle because I was taking too long when she wanted on… and I dont have a floppy drive on this computer, so I couldnt do it.

I’ll post my results as soon as I get a chance to try flashing it though.

Mike, get back to ADF and bring me a beer…

and where’s the pics of your sister??

@Se_rag: :eek:

Originally posted by alexnoe
@Se_rag: :eek:

you haven;t heard the audio yet…:stuck_out_tongue:

sorry mike, i’ll try to keep the sister posts to ADF;)

Hahahaha yea… thats an adf only kinda thing:p

Originally posted by Se_Rag
[B]

you haven;t heard the audio yet…:stuck_out_tongue:

sorry mike, i’ll try to keep the sister posts to ADF;) [/B]

did you figure out what version you have…the 5 or the 6

Originally posted by Se_Rag
did you figure out what version you have…the 5 or the 6

sounds like its a 5… I plan on trying to flash it sometime here in the next couple hours before my sister gets home:)

Originally posted by Mike1187
[B]

sounds like its a 5… I plan on trying to flash it sometime here in the next couple hours before my sister gets home:) [/B]

if it;s the 5, the it’s the same as the one i have…i found the vs08 firmware to be pretty good…

Hmmmm… ok, so I flashed it with the VS08 firmware, and it took without any trouble as a LTR-48125W on the computer I used to flash it.

Nero info recognised it as a 48x12x48 burner. so I thoguht it was all good(couldnt test it on that comptuer since they computer cant keep up with a 48x burn(cant even do 32 withouth buffer underrun kicking in :frowning: ) And I installed it back into my computer here to test it. ran nero info, and it said it was a LTR-48125W BUT it has 12x listed as the max read speed, and 40x listed as the max burn speed, and nothign for a rewrite speed. When i opened nero drive speed, it recodnised it as an 8x4x12, and when I tried a test burn, it started at 19x and went up to 40x before leveling out.

Hmmm any ideas what went wrong? I’m going to remove, and try reinstalling nero now just in case that has somethign to do with it…

ok. reinstalling nero didnt do anything different so I doubt that it was somethign in the software install like I had heard some people mention before.

Hmmm I have no idea why it appeared to read it fine on the other computer, but wont on this computer:confused:

I’ve had a cendyne 48x16x48 drive in this computer for a little while now and it worked fine, so I know its not something about the comptuer that cant take a drive that fast…