I bought dirt cheap 4x Memorex and it burns fine. I do read-verify each time and it is byte for byte copy.
Why I like this drive:
1) It does fast writes at 4x and cache is solid at 100% even while I browse the internet while I burn at 4x.
2) Very fast disc recognition. Put the disc in, 2 sec later it is accessible in explorer.
3) Quite buring and reading, does not vibrate the case, though behind all my fans I might miss some noises.
4) Looks good, plain, not like Sony's shitty silver plate.
5) Seems not to have a tendency to become burning hot like some CDRWs.
6) I have tried only Memorex 4x DVD+Rs on this drive, I'm very happy with the perfromance.
7) Tray opens-closes in a controlled manner and has very fast reaction after pushing the eject button. Tray closes well after a small push, just like it should be.
Why I don't like this drive:
1) Reading DVDs is locked at 2x speed. If you rip, it takes 35min for a 5.5GB movie.
2) One LED - one color. Can't tell reading from writing.
3) Only 2MB cache, still it works well but I'd be happier if it had 8MB. Come one, mem is like, what, dirt cheap?
4) Face plate is a bit on the "yellow" side, like a bone. I'd prefer a white-white one like LiteOns CDRWs have, looks better in my case that way.