Ohio political hacker sentenced to 30 months in prison

vbimport

Ohio political hacker sentenced to 30 months in prison.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/11/qFLkIw.jpg[/newsimage]A 23 year-old Belleview, Ohio man has been convicted and sentenced to 30 months in prison for carrying out several DDoS attacks on several prominent conservative political figures and infecting their systems with botnets.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/ohio-political-hacker-sentenced-to-30-months-in-prison-36379/](http://www.myce.com/news/ohio-political-hacker-sentenced-to-30-months-in-prison-36379/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Oh wow, $10,000 to bring a few servers back online?

Sounds like the University just wants money, same to Bill, seriously suing someone for $40,000 for something like that is just plain stupid, and makes him more hated same applies to the University.

I could see him being sentenced for his crimes on hacking the servers and stealing credit card numbers and what not, but those two charges seem like bull crap to me because even backing up and restoring 10 servers is an easy job that costs little to no money depending on how much the tech is being paid.

[QUOTE=loanstar744;2556386]Oh wow, $10,000 to bring a few servers back online?

Sounds like the University just wants money, same to Bill, seriously suing someone for $40,000 for something like that is just plain stupid, and makes him more hated same applies to the University.[/QUOTE]

The University, or O’Reilly, has little to do with the fines. They are typically set by the court. I would bet that O’Reilly donates any money he receives to the numerous charities he supports. He would be the first to admit that he doesn’t need this guy’s $40k. Also, I was watching his show when he stated he would not go after this guy in civil court. He said he had a family to support and didn’t want to pile-on to his situation in regard to the criminal case. If O’Reilly was so evil, or hateful, he would ruin this guy financially for life by filing a civil suit…

[QUOTE=loanstar744;2556386]I could see him being sentenced for his crimes on hacking the servers and stealing credit card numbers and what not, but those two charges seem like bull crap to me because even backing up and restoring 10 servers is an easy job that costs little to no money depending on how much the tech is being paid.[/QUOTE]

I see this as being no different than someone entering your house and trashing and destroying your property. He destroyed property and needs to pay for the CRIME. Yes, he committed a CRIME. He won’t serve anywhere near 30 months if he behaves himself in prison. I bet he spends a year, or less, in jail. If he has any computer skills at all, he can pay back $50k in damages in 5-10 years. I bet he thinks twice before pulling this stuff again.

[QUOTE=UTR;2556398]The University, or O’Reilly, has little to do with the fines. They are typically set by the court. I would bet that O’Reilly donates any money he receives to the numerous charities he supports. He would be the first to admit that he doesn’t need this guy’s $40k. Also, I was watching his show when he stated he would not go after this guy in civil court. He said he had a family to support and didn’t want to pile-on to his situation in regard to the criminal case. If O’Reilly was so evil, or hateful, he would ruin this guy financially for life by filing a civil suit…

I see this as being no different than someone entering your house and trashing and destroying your property. He destroyed property and needs to pay for the CRIME. Yes, he committed a CRIME. He won’t serve anywhere near 30 months if he behaves himself in prison. I bet he spends a year, or less, in jail. If he has any computer skills at all, he can pay back $50k in damages in 5-10 years. I bet he thinks twice before pulling this stuff again.[/QUOTE]

I can see him being charged on all accounts, but I only thing that the monetary charges are bull, there was no actual damage to the servers, they just needed to be restored, and it maybe took a few hours.
I could see if he was charged even $1,000 for charges of that, but $10,000 is pretty much being a thief itself.
Oh yeah, I can see it now, seeing those servers go down was psychologically damaging to those poor IT’s, I can’t imagine how they can possibly live on with these haunts, oh wait, they have a share of $10K, now their good.

Hell, just backing up my server takes a few minutes.

Alright, I can see that, but if he’s so concerned about him having a family, then why does this report show that his foundation is suing him for $40K? If I were him, I’d do something about it.

Other than really the University charges, he can be convicted of everything else, I think that’s fair, but the University is just money hungry, like I said, I can see $1K but ten times the amount?

I’m not feeling sorry for the guy or anything, but that just steams me, such as the cases of Copyright infringement $62,500 each song, PFFT.

I think this case is also about sending a message to the others that are thinking about destructive hacking. This guy is unlucky to be used as the example. The next person convicted will likely get a worse sentence and fine. It is hard to compare this case with file sharers because file sharers aren’t hacking into the computer systems of others and causing damage or stealing personal information.

I think the courts are putting future hackers on notice… “Do the crime and you will do the time and pay the fine.” While this guy might not have gone all that far by your standards, the next guy might do very severe damage to millions of people and/or businesses/institutions.

I hope you guys/girls don’t seriously think that this person will actually pay those fines or serve a full jail term? If history is any teacher, these people that get fines like this never pay those fines. It just looks good for the news. If Frost were to pay any money to O’Reilly, I do believe the money would be given to one of the numerous charities he supports. Can’t say the same for the University.