Oh-No, I think I've just bought the wrong burner

Hello,

First post on the forum.

I’ve just spent the last month building a new computer. I bought a ‘LG BH10LS30’ bluray drive because it was the only bluray burner my local store sold, and I thought LG were a good brand.

I’ve also just spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out why I cannot see any Disc Quality tab in Nero Drive Speed (to see the PIE disc errors), and it turns out, this drive does not support that for some reason (why?).

I thought all drives supported error reporting, but apparently not.

Is there any way I can get error reporting to work, even with another program, or am I going to have to ebay this drive for another?

Damn, it’s brand new.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums killingtime. You’ve posted this in the wrong forum, but one of the moderators for this forum will eventually show up and move it to the appropriate spot. No worries, we do that a lot.

The LG blu ray drive you have is a pretty good one, but you are correct in that it won’t do quality scans at all. Are you trying to do quality scans of dvds or blu ray? Or both?

The Lite-on blu ray drives would be appropriate for scanning, but personally, I’d take the LG over them, for quality of burns.

Hello Kerry56,

I’m sorry I posted in the wrong section.

I’m archiving my camcorder movies, and I’d like them to be around for years to come, so I thought about doing some error scans after the burn. I’d rather not get 4 years down the line and find out they’re unreadable.

I’ll be writing bluray and dual laer dvds.

I have a liteon dvd burner that can do scans, but it won’t read blurays, and from what I’ve read tonight, doing a scan in another drive is pointless.

I can’t understand why a manufacturer would leave a feature like this out on a a drive unless they had someting to hide. If you can’t do a quality scan, how do you know about the unrecoverable errors on the disc?

Your Lite-on burner will work fine for quality scans of double layer dvds burned in other drives. Many of us test burns in other drives that are known to be good scanners.

And you can still do surface scans or transfer rate tests on blu ray burns in that LG. I’m not at all convinced that quality scans on blu ray are worth doing anyway.

I don’t know why LG has never supported scans. Perhaps they believe computer drives are simply not the best tools for this type of testing…many people would agree with that assessment.

OK.

Thanks.

Don’t think you bought the wrong drive, other than the test, I think the LG is a better drive than the Liteon…I have the LG 12x burner and it is happy with Optodisc 4x BD-R about a buck a pop

Part of the reason I went with a liteon blu-ray burner was because I’d be able to do quality scans.

But to be honest, it probably would have been better for me to go with the LG drive and just be sure to use quality media at speeds that I know will work. You can usually come here and see other peoples scans and have a good idea what your drive will do with specific media…

[QUOTE=ghogan42;2658034]Part of the reason I went with a liteon blu-ray burner was because I’d be able to do quality scans.

But to be honest, it probably would have been better for me to go with the LG drive and just be sure to use quality media at speeds that I know will work. You can usually come here and see other peoples scans and have a good idea what your drive will do with specific media…[/QUOTE]

Ah yes. The eternal question. Is it better to have a drive that may not yield THE best burns but has the ability to scan those burns, or a drive with a reputation for yielding the best burns but no way to know if they actually are.

The answer: never buy a computer with less than 2 drive bays. More often than not, the best burner and the best scanner won’t be the same drive. Avoid compromising and plan on needing at least 2 drives at any given time.

If you are planning on using just one drive, I think you made the right choice. The quality of BD-Rs from many brands has been varying way too much. Right now, I’d settle for a tiny bit less burn quality in trade for the ability to know that the new spindle of discs I just bought is as good as I want them to be. Get settled in with some good media and then worry about getting the next killer good burner :). And you will have a scanner to see if that drive is such a big deal. Don’t use LTH in that drive.

so is it just the liteon blu-ray writers that can do quality scans on blu-rays, ive got a pioneer bdr-206 and am thinking of replacing it with one that can scan discs. i dont have room anymore for 2 writers since ive had to shrink down my pc.

Get an enclosure & use extra drives as external via USB .

Is the Pioneer wearing out or giving some trouble?

well i have a lot of files backed up onto ty lth bluray discs :frowning: would like to check them from time to time to see if there is any need to reburn, especially after reading about them on the forum.

I see. Completely understand your concern. It is just the Lite-ons and their ASUS and Sony and HP and Plextor clones that can scan BD-R. Samsung BD-combo drives can also scan, but the jury is still out regarding accuracy/usefulness of those. If you run a transfer rate test(read speed) test on your LTH burns, do they show any read speed drops?

Also, if you do have USB 3.0 or E-sata available, cholla’s external suggestion is a good one. You would not have to give up the quality writing abilities of the 206.

yes ive a spare usb3 and a spare e-sata port will have a look for a nice sata enclosure, probably best to stick a liteon one in there :slight_smile:

I would recommend a iHBS112 for scanning. Great to hear you can have your cake and eat it too :bigsmile:

Any of the new Lite-ons will probably require this little trick for scanning.

Which BD-Rs are you considering switching to for data back-ups?

im thinking of buying some falcon bdr’s since the tdk’s i bought turned out to be philips r04’s. dunno what other brands are any good, seems difficult to sort out the good disc makes with bdr’s.

Where are you located? Panasonic or Falcon do seem like very good options.