Official NEC 3500AG Firmware 2.18 and OEM Drives

My 3500 is OEM or so it said when I ordered it… but this new firmware says it isn’t for OEM 3500’s. Can anyone give me any advice on if it is ok to update to this firmware from an official 2.16. Would hate to think I have no ability to use official updates: which is something I prefer to stick to… at least until my warranty is up :wink:

If you can’t flash it using the stock Windows flasher, you will need to flash your drive in DOS using a third party flasher. Be sure to read the instructions carefully and make a note of the firmware revision you are currently running. It may be a good idea to keep a binary copy of your existing firmware just to be on the safe side.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind for if I flash it. What I’m looking to find out at the minute is if it’s ok to upgrade it despite warnings it isn’t for OEM.

There are two types of “OEM” drives from NEC. One is from a machine built by a retailer like Dell and the other is the bulk OEM sold to the rest of us. The retailer type are a problem with NEC official firmware and that is the type that they are warning you about. The bulk type should be no problem. I have an OEM bulk from Newegg and I just updated from 2.16 to 2.17 from their new US firmware site. The 2.18 should work the same way. The quote from the txt message with the 2.18 confirms this.

“-this Update works only with NEC ND-3500A(G) retail/ bulk, not with OEM releases.
(OEM means part of a full PC package or external USB/FireWire variant of this burner)”.

Thanks. I’m quite new to this lol. Never flashed before. Is it true it reduces the lifespan of the hardware? Could be nonsense but thought I would ask anyway.

chas0039, if I buy the retail version of the ND-3500A (say in a store or online retailer), will I be able to upgrade to the latest official firmware or no.

it evan works with a 3100 LOL

so dont worry just flash to 2.16 with Liggys then use the Nec flasher

You should have no problem with either a retail version or with an OEM version from a retail or on-line outlet. These guys have a great reputation and price. I got mine here.

Newegg.com definetly has a very good reputation & a great place to buy from. Besides the fact the retail version comes with software & in the offical NEC pkg, what are the primary differences b/w the two. Is it better to pay less for the OEM ($70) compared to the retail version ($100)?

I also flashed my OEM 3500 from 2.16 to 2.18 using the standard NEC proggy, which seemed to reduce the number of coasters I get. It flashed just fine.

Newegg will sell it with software, if you want, for a lot less than $100. For that matter, you can get Nero 6 Suite OEM for $3.99. Since the retail has never been available in the US until just a short time a go, I cannot speak authoritatively as to the difference. In the past, and with others such as Pioneer, the only difference has been the faceplate, the software, the cable/screws, and the box. The drive is the same.

chaos, someone reported that the OEM version of this drive comes with NO cables. Does Newegg not provide them & if they don’t, which cables do I need – for an ext. enclosure of course.

I just got the OEM version of the 3500A from Newegg, and yes, there are no cable or screws, only the free 5-pack DVD-Rs, all in bubble wrap. If you are putting it in an external enclosure, you don’t need a separate cable since there’s one built in already with the bridge. I believe the screws will be provided with the enclosure though.

Thx for the info KTL. Btw, what is the MID for the 5 pk of DVD-Rs you get from Newegg?

They are the (in)famous Ritek G04.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:RITEKG04]
Disc & Book Type :       [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name :      [Ritek Co.]
Manufacturer ID :        [RITEKG04]
Disc Application Code :  [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds :       [1x , 2x , 4x]
                         [6x And Higher Might Not Always Be Detectable]
Blank Disc Capacity :    [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]