Official NEC 3500 Firmware ver

Official NEC 3500 Firmware ver 2.17 is out finally
There is no SL bitsetting support and no RITEK DL Support

Where did you find a download link for this firmware?

http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=82679 <- executable from nec
or
http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=80060 <- 217.bin

Hey guys, it seems as if this FIRMWARE SUPPORTS DVD+R SL BITSETTING AND IS REGION FREE!!! :eek: REALLY. I USE THE NEW NERO VERSION 6.6 (for now only available in Germany in a PC-magazine) and I can change bitsetting in Nero and I can also see, that it’s region free! I attached the two screenshots!

And it seems to me, that the drive drives out a little slower, but maybe this is only imagination

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I guess that’s just what NERO and Windows tell you. I didn’t check for RPC1, but the assembler code of this version only supports bitsetting on double layer discs. But it is possible (didn’t check that exactly) that the firmware uses settings for single layer and rewritables that were stored with firmwares which support these settings. (Default seems to be set to DVD-ROM for DL)

Well, I don’t know if bitsetting really works, didn’t tried it by now…
Also if rpc-state is working, I don’t know, cause I don’t have a foreign DVD or something like this. I will make some tests with DVDInfoPRO and then we’ll see! Maybe this is a feature of the new Nero-Version?

I dont know if 2.17 support bitsetting but with 2.16 original firmware and Nero 6.3.1.25, Nero dont change bitsetting on Dvd+R.

If you wanna know bitsetting support try “WinBType”.

where to get this tool?

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=92320&page=1 <- Version 1.0.0.0

http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=80060 <- Version 3.0.0.0, I’m using this.

Going by CDRINFO:

• 218.bin (Upcoming Official Firmware Update, Supports DVD+R9 DVD-ROM Bitsetting,Supports Ritek/Ricoh DL) (expected ~18/10/2004)

I don’t have any DL media so I’ll wait for the official f/w with more DL media supported before I flash any firmware.

Hi. Here you can download the latest NERO 6.6 version! Just find this link on another forum:

http://193.201.52.177/Nero6.6.0.0f_NVE3.0.0.8_NST2.0.0.5_NR2.1.1.20_MAG_DEMO_DEU_CD5698.exe

I think that what the “DVD Region” screendump tells us, is just that the region for this particular drive hasn’t been set yet, and not that the drive’s region free!

I tested this firmware. It does not support SL DVD+R bitsetting, is not region free (RPC II) and it is riplocked. And what’s even worse, the current winbtype doesn’t seem to work properly with this firmware. The default booktype for DL media is “DVD+R DL” now, and when I try to change it to “DVD-ROM”, winbtype accepts the change, but does not save it. After a restart, DVD+R DL remains as the current booktype. Maybe NEC removed the auto-bitsetting feature, and replaced it with manual bitsetting via Nero?

But that’s just speculation, I don’t have DL media to test and confirm it.

IMHO, not worth the update (yet), since write strats haven’t changed considerably either.

but isn’t that the same? so I can play back dvds of all regions, right?

No, you can’t. You can change the region of the drive five times, and that’s it (-> RPC II). A RPC I drive allows you to change the region as often as you like.

If you want to switch regios many times, use a hacked firmware. Or buy a LiteOn drive, they’re stock RPC2, but there’s a nice little tool which allows you to reset the region counter as many times as you like. Or make the drive RPC1, still using stock firmware. My favorite combination: LiteOn DVD-ROM and NEC DVD burner.

yes I know this program (a**dvd). I like it very much. But does this really work? also with the new strategies of the manufacturers?

BTW, on all DVD drives of the last years, stock firmware is always RPC2(E). You’ll never find a modern DVD drive which is RPC1. Some older DVD drives however, are stock RPC1. And Pioneer once released some types which where RPC2 but could be set to RPC1 by just changing a jumper on the back of the drive. I’ve never done that, but I’ve been told that it only worked as long as no region-coded DVD ever has been put in the drive. After the first insertion of a region-coded DVD in the drive, with the jumper in RPC2 position, the drive became irreversibly RPC2…

I once had a NEC DVD-ROM drive (RPC2), which locked itself to a non-existing region code, despite the fact that I had only used region 2 DVD’s. I’m afraid this region lock had been caused by using a CSS ripper on the drive. Afterwards, it couldn’t play video DVD’s any more, but I could still rip them! At that time, there was no solution to get the drive working again (apart from RMA). After that time, I only bought DVD drives that could be made RPC1 and as soon as they’re out of the box, I make them RPC1…

But when you never use any DVD’s from other regions than your own (Germany is region 2) and you’re never using a ripping program on that particular drive, you could stick to the stock firmware and never encounter any problem.

No, you don’t know it. What you’re talking about is the Slysoft program. I’m using it and as far as I can judge, it’s working perfectly well. The Any*** program is drive independent and can also be used on any DVD drive. In contrary to DVD Region/CSS free, which gives compatibility issues on any system I’ve tested it on (DVD’s don’t autostart, screen display disturbed, program’s that don’t work any longer…)

What I was talking about is a small program specially for LiteOn drives. It can be found in the LiteOn section of this forum. It’s amazing how smooth it works and the reason I mentioned it in a NEC forum is that I would be very pleased if a similar utility could be written for NEC. But I don’t think it’s possible, because of the different ways both brands treat RPC2 protection.

LiteOn stores the RPC1/2 code and the user/mfgr codes in EEPROM, where they can easily be changed. NEC handles RPC2 in FlashROM/Firmware.

Hmmm, i got some official 16X Traxdata DVD+R discs here, but still not supported with this new firmware. :sad:

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG 2.17 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R
Supported Write Speeds: 2,4x; 4x
Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: RITEK-R04-01
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit