Office xp activation

vbimport

I searched and searched and searched for “office xp” and activation and license.
Here is where I landed.

For one of my courses I needed Office XP, and the bookstore sold it to me for $49.
Rumor has it that Office XP PROFESSIONAL, can be installed both at home and on a laptopn without having to worry about the 1-computer-1-software activation rule.
Is this true? Can the “laptop” somehow become a 2nd desktop at work?

How can I get around that issue by installing Office XP professional at home and work.

The course runs 60 days, the software allows 50 “openings” of files before it quits.
I suppose I can be careful and count these openings. I really like to do homework at work and need some ideas from y’all.

Typically, Microsoft activation is tied to the hardware. I’ve never had to activate Office, since I’ve used Academic VLK. The activation mechanism is similar to Windows XP

During activation, the product ID and a non-unique hardware identification are sent to Microsoft. The product ID is generated from the product key used to install the software and a generic code representing the version and language of Office being activated. The non-unique hardware identification represents the configuration of your PC at the time of activation. The hardware identification does not include any personally identifiable information about you, any information about other software or data that may reside on your PC, or any information about the specific make or model of your PC. The hardware identification identifies only the PC and is used solely for the purpose of activation. Office can detect and accept changes to your PC configuration. Minor upgrades will not require re-activation. If you completely overhaul your PC, you may be required to activate your product again.

From here.

Finally,

Product Activation works by verifying that a software program’s product key, which you must use in order to install the product, has not been used on more personal computers than intended by the software’s license.
From here. Thus, you can’t use it both on the laptop and the desktop.

If you try to convince M$ representative over the phone that your laptop has suddenly died, and now you’d like to install Office on your desktop, then it will be a violation of the license agreement.

iTS TOO BAD OFFICE 2003 HAS the laptop/desktop exclusion, but office xp does not have the same liberal license for 2 pc’s

In general, Windows XP is licensed for use on a single PC. It cannot be installed on more than one PC without purchasing additional licenses. It can be re-installed and activated on the same PC an unlimited number of times. Office 2003 is similarly licensed, however Office 2003 allows for a second installation on a portable device for the exclusive use of the person who is the primary user of the first copy. Likewise, Office 2003 can be re-installed and activated on the same PC an unlimited number of times. Please see your end user license agreement or product use rights for details on a specific product

THE ABOVE INFO FROM http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

HOWEVER FROM THIS WEBSITE I GET THIS INFO:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

READ THIS BELOW, THUS MY QUESTION BECOMES WHAT IS A LAPTOP,
AND HOW DO THEY CHECK IT IF ITS REALLY A DESKTOP, SO 2 DESKTOPS

How many installations can be made with one product license? Has this changed with the introduction of Product Activation?

The underlying principles of Microsoft’s software licenses have not changed. Microsoft’s End User License Agreements (EULAs) have always stipulated the number of PCs that software can be installed on. Product Activation does not change that. Office XP or Office 2003 may be installed on one PC. The primary user of Office may also install one copy on a laptop computer for their exclusive use. To install Office XP or Office 2003 on more than these two devices, another license of the product must be acquired. Licenses for Office XP or Office 2003 acquired preinstalled on a new PC are single-PC licenses that cannot be transferred or installed a second time on another PC or laptop computer. Windows XP may be installed on one PC. There are no secondary use rights (e.g. no “laptop clause”) in the Windows XP EULA. The aforementioned licensing terms have not been changed due to Product Activation. Some special licensing programs (such as the Microsoft Developer Network) provide additional licensing terms. Please check your specific license agreement or EULA for specifics. Re-installation and re-activation on the same PC can be done an unlimited number of times. Pricing and licensing details are available for Windows XP and Office 2003.