Office Professional 2007: Failed Updates-"646"

vbimport

Hello,
I just installed Microsoft Office Professional 2007 from CD; I only installed disc #1, since I don’t use Outlook or Business Manager. I tried to install all important updates, only to have them fail.
-Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB974561) -Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB2345035)
-Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB2344875)
-Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB2345043)
-Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB2288621)
-Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB2344993)
-Security Update for Microsoft Office Visio Viewer 2007 (KB973709)
-Security Update for Microsoft Office InfoPath 2007 (KB979441)
-Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB972581)
-Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB982158)
-Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB976321)
-Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969559)
-Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB974234)
All have an error message of "646. I have tried several times and they always “fail to install.” Would my not having installed disc #2 (Outlook & Business Manager) affected the updates? I didn’t install it because I didn’t want to recieve any special offers.
Also, does having the Office Home and Student 2007 Trial Version still on my computer have anything to do with it?
Thank you very much,
Eric :confused:

Uninstall all Office products using the Microsoft Office remover ( Google it) and then install your CD of Office Professional.

[QUOTE=Eric Holtz;2555964]
Also, does having the [U]Office Home and Student 2007 Trial Version[/U] still on my computer have anything to do with it?
Eric :confused:[/QUOTE]

My money is on that the two programs are conflicting and one says trials and won’t allow to other to properly function or run. Uninstall both and then use a Office uninstaller apps from M$ to remove any leftover office and then reboot and reinstall the full office 2007 you have and that should fix any problems.

Thank you,
So after I uninstall [U]Office Home and Student 2007[/U], should I install BOTH CD’s of [U]Office Professional 2007[/U]? Disc 2 is [B]Office Accounting 2008[/B] and [B]Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007 [/B](neither of which I use), but require Internet exchange of information, which I don’t think I need or want.
Thank you again,
Eric :slight_smile:

Always use advanced install and only install what you need.

Thanks. I installed all of [B]Office Professional 2007[/B], except [U]Office Accounting 2008[/U] and [U]Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007[/U] (disc #2).
I use [B]Yahoo![/B] for my e-mail, so do I even need [U]Outlook[/U]? I’ve tried it before (on [B]Home and Student 2007[/B]), but I was unable to send any e-mails from it. Thanks again,
Eric :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Eric Holtz;2556057]Thank you,
So after I uninstall [U]Office Home and Student 2007[/U], should I install BOTH CD’s of [U]Office Professional 2007[/U]? Disc 2 is [B]Office Accounting 2008[/B] and [B]Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007 [/B](neither of which I use), but require Internet exchange of information, which I don’t think I need or want.
Thank you again,
Eric :)[/QUOTE]

I would say if you don’t need them then don’t install them as Mr. Belvedere always do a advance or custom install so you know what is being installed and you can pick and choose what you want to install. I install Outlook cause my ISP is compatible with Outlook for getting my emails so that is why I have it installed.

[QUOTE=Eric Holtz;2556329]I use [B]Yahoo![/B] for my e-mail, so do I even need [U]Outlook[/U]?[/QUOTE] Unless you love the layout, agenda or need it for work i do not suggest installing any form of Outlook (wether express or office version) whatsoever on your system.

Usually when i install a computer no Outlook gets installed and sometimes Mozilla’s Thunderbird when they absolutely need to read their email offline. If the user is none the wiser but still likes to use “a program” for email, i usually configure Thunderbird to IMAP, which means no offline emails, but real time accessing their online email :slight_smile: This is way safer than POP3.

So now that I have Office Professsional 2007 installed, how do I uninstall only [B]Outlook[/B]? Do I just delete it from the program files? I can compose e-mails all day long, but they will never send from [B]Outlook[/B] and I don’t know why.

These steps are based on Office 2010, but should be the same or similar for Office 2007:

Go into the “Add or Remove programs” (“Programs and features” in Windows Vista/7), select Microsoft Office 2007 from the list and click “Change”. Select the “Add or remove features” option and click Continue. Click on “Outlook” and select “Not available” and click “Continue”. This will remove Outlook.

I would strongly recommend not installing CD 2! In fact, I often uninstall the Outlook Business Contact manager for people as it is a real resource hog, especially on older PCs and laptops. It’s a rather bizarre way of fixing a sluggish HDD-trashing Outlook, but works. :slight_smile: