~~~OFFICE CHAIR KILLS 13yr BOY

http://i.gizmodo.com/5157354/boy-kil...chair-explodes

i saw it a while back in my local newspapaer, didn't know gas cyclinder chair actually meant office chairs.

i'm no longer sitting.

I’m not sure if the cylinder could build up that much pressure.

well maybe chinese ones do, and production of these chairs, like a very large majority of everything else, is outsourced to china.

“made in china”

if you see that under you chair, quick align yourself in an upright position, or kneel or float or whatever…

like i said, i saw it in my local newspaper, and it’s happened in usa before.

Debro!!! this should be a warning for you!! your chair could be dangerous to your health :smiley:

[QUOTE=ilovecookies;2226106]well maybe chinese ones do, and production of these chairs, like a very large majority of everything else, is outsourced to china.

“made in china”

if you see that under you chair, quick align yourself in an upright position, or kneel or float or whatever…

like i said, i saw it in my local newspaper, and it’s happened in usa before.[/QUOTE]

that’s pretty crazy if it was in your local paper.
I’m not too worried about it.

I call B$ on the explosive office chair.

The cylinders have enough folds & seams, seals and other points of failure to ensure the cylinder will pop, with sides folding out, rather than shattering. The cylinder would need to be heated & cooled rapidly to make it brittle so it shatters.

Heating the cylinder would heat air, increase the pressure and cause it to explode, or escape, thereby ensuring the pressure would be insufficient to explode during normal use.

Yo Dana-

Look on the bright side - it could be the biggest thrill he’s ever experienced-eh!! :eek:

(besides meeting you - of course) :flower:

Puttong on my Falure analysis hat (pun intended) it looks more like the seat base was cracked from someone repeatedly “flopping” into the chair until one day the seat with a cracked weld collapased around the gac cylinder which then extended impaling the victim.

I will refrain from suggesting that such chairs should be shipped all members of congress.

Much less to SanFrancisco, Greenwich Village and Fire Island:)
where with slight modifications they might prove popular.

I know “That’s Cold”

Uh huh.

AD

The “blast” damage shown in the photos just doesn’t look right. The damage to the seat cushion looks too great, especially as someone was supposed to have been sitting on it at the time. The square hole in the cloth suggests that someone just cut a cross with a knife and tore it a bit. And as for the state of the fabric on the underside…:disagree:

Nice try, but pull the other one.:iagree:

Personally I don’t buy this story - it’s too unlikely.

[quote=AllanDeGroot;2226665]I will refrain from suggesting that such chairs should be shipped all members of congress[/quote] Politicians don’t need chairs with gas cylinders - they are already full of hot air themselves! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=hax0rth0r;2226099]I’m not sure if the cylinder could build up that much pressure.[/QUOTE]

They can easily build up that much pressure and are very safe in normal circumstances because of the way they’re designed, but they can be extremely dangerous if damaged though.

I wouldn’t have believed this story either but the same thing happened to a rather large guy in our office about 15 years ago. The chair was relatively old and our Health & Safety people reckoned it had been damaged gradually over a period of years because of his extreme weight.

Luckily enough he was sitting forward at the time reaching for the phone. The cylinder blew a hole in the chair and he fell off it and hurt himself (he banged his head on a desk) but it would seem from this story that it might have been a lot worse.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Yo-

Am I the only one to note that there isn’t any blood on the chair-eh!! :disagree: :disagree: :eek:

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2227577]Yo-

Am I the only one to note that there isn’t any blood on the chair-eh!! :disagree: :disagree: :eek:[/QUOTE]

True and in the example I talked about the piston didn’t explode it was just propelled through the seat.

There’s unbelievable force in those things but I have a feeling making the piston explode is stretching things a bit.

Like all good stories though there’s an element to truth in it.

One for the ‘Mythbusters’ methinks! :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]