OFF DVD +/- RW and CD-RW Burner Rebadger Thread

Note i originally started this thread on fatwallet but the people there cares too much about deals than to help build a database. i hope this thread will gather more information here.

I n t r o : there are so many brands of drives out there that do not make their own drives. instead they purchase their product from one of other major manufactures and sell it for less. some are very reputable and some are nothing more than a door stop. this thread is designed to help you know what drive is in the box from the serial or model number.
This is not a repost. This thread serves as a central collection of information for future ease of research. The ones with the “?” are still in verification

This thread is not anywhere near complete at this stage. If you have purchased a drive in the last 6 month, please post your model number, serial number and what drive it is in this thread. the most data we have, the more easier for us to see the pattern and do some "educated guessing " :slight_smile:

Reliability Rank: (HEAVYLY NEEDS FEEDBACK)

1. Plextor
  2. Lite-on
  3. Pioneer (but slower in speed)/ Optorite
  4. NEC
  5. Others

Last: BTC aka Benq aka Acer. doorstop in 2 month

Sony no longer makers thier own burner. they rebadging Lite-ons.

DVD +/- RW :

Pacific Digital 8X +/- Writer
Serial number starts with: 4813 = black lite on 851
Serial number starts with: 4823 = lite on 811 white
Serial number starts with: 43** = lite on 811
Serial number starts with: P ** = BTC
Serial number starts with: 41D6H7432XX = NEC

Pacific Digital 4X Writer
Model RV-3 = BTC thanks Socrilles
NEC ND-1300a drives, with a FEW Optiwrite drives ? source hot2stuff

TDK 8x Writer
As far as i know they are all Plextor 708a’s ?

Khypermedia DVD Burner
?

Buslink 4x DVD+RW
Lite-On 401S drive, dual format +/-RW
Model: DVRW412RL thanks Audion

MicroAdvantage, All models
They all varieties of BTC thanks lzman

Vernbtim 2X DVD+RW
Model VBTDVRW1A horrible quality with unconfirmed brand thx winipu

IO/Magic 8X DVD
Optorite DD0801 or BTC DRW1008IM.
BTC drives are NOT shrink wrapped, and have a small sticker that says F:0054 (firmware version)
Optorite DD401 Drives. shrink wraped. The rear design on the box was also different, showing the software packages include. thx BillHarrison
MyInfo: The BTC are packaged with Roxio software and Cyberlink PowerDVD, while on the back of the Optorite Drive it’s packed with Pinicole and WinDVD.

Iomega DVD+/-RW 400-303
all NEC ND-1300A

CDRWs (48x or faster):

Cendyne
Model number with LTR = lite on drives
Model 4618P = Acer aka Benq
If serial number is 10 characters for 52x then ASUS

Pacific Digital
Most rebadged BTC or Lite on

Mad Dog
BTC and Artec ASUS 5224

Bus Link
lite on

Micro Advantage
BenQ or maybe BTC ? source quincy2002

Khypermedia
BenQ

Verbatim
lite ons

bump b/c people are always asking about rebadged drives. there’s also a way to distinguish a 411 Lite On dvd+/-RW from a 451S, i’ll have to look at my box at home and post the serial. thanks

thought i’d contribute…
Lite-On 4x dual writer manufactured in Nov2003 and after w/ S/N:479348009125, most likely a 451S.

Pacific Digital 8x dual format: S/N starts w/ 4294, LiteOn 811S
S/N starts w/ 4793, LiteOn 851S
S/N starts w/ 41****, NEC drive
hope this helps people

Originally posted by BinaryGhost
Last: BTC aka Benq aka Acer. doorstop in 2 month

No BTC != BenQ or Acer, and although BenQ was originally Acer Peripherals Inc. their optical storage divisions have no relation now either.

Sony no longer makers thier own burner. they rebadging Lite-ons.

No, not yet at least. DRU-530A is based on the Accesstek/Optorite drive.

TDK 8x Writer
As far as i know they are all Plextor 708a’s ?

The 880N is a NEC.

Khypermedia DVD Burner

BenQ or CyberDrive.

Originally posted by kaotic504
Pacific Digital 8x dual format:
S/N starts w/ 4794, LiteOn 851S

Hmmm…I just opened one up today with the 4794xxxxxxxx S/N and the tag showed LDW-811S.

Originally posted by KTL
Hmmm…I just opened one up today with the 4794xxxxxxxx S/N and the tag showed LDW-811S.

i stand corrected, most 4793 's are 851s drives, apparently it’s the 4th number, it can also be 4293 . strange that the 851s and my 451s would begin w/ the same first 4 numbers…

I just got a Pacific Digital with the s/n 4784xxxxxxxx and it’s a Lite-On LDW-811s.

:iagree:

The TDK 880n is an NEC(8x,-/+),however the TDK 840 is a Plextor(8x + only)

also sony 52x = liteOn 52x

Just got a Pacific Digital from OMAX its a 851-S with serial#4325********

Khypermedia DVD Burner

Made in China = Cyberdrive
Made in Malaysia = BenQ

Here’s my 2c:

Bought 2 Pacific Digital drives from Staples on 7/19/04.

The first is labelled “Mach-8 8x+/8x- DVD Burner” on the front and sides, and on the sticker on the right face of the box it says “DVD 8x8 Dual Rtl. Kit” PN: U-30213, SN: 42940500xxxx. This drive was a Lite-On SOHW-812S.

The other is labelled “Mach-8 8x DVD Burner Multiformat” on the front and sides, and on the sticker on the right face it says “8x DVDRW Dual Format IDE Kit” PN: U-30201, SN: 47935201xxxx. This drive was a Lite-On LDW-851S.

Hope this helps.

Philips and BenQ drives contain the same hardware, so you could say a BenQ drive is a Philips drive and vice versa. They however have different firmware. See also our BenQ/Philips Forum.

I bought an I/O Magic 2 weeks ago, I can confirm it was a BTC 1008. Info above was accurate, said 0054 on sticker on back.

maddog MD-8XDVDRW-PM ==> NEC 2500a firm 1.07

OK I have a new KHypermedia Drive #KDVRWUA, made in china, with the same front as a liteon, and the same exact depth as my 851s. Anybody know what this one is?

Is this still a Cyberdrive? Do they make shallow depth drives?

The specs on the drive are:

DVD-/+R - 8x
DVD-/+RW - 4x
DVD-ROM - 12x
CD-R - 40x
CD-RW - 24x
CD-ROM - 40x
2MB Buffer w/Smart-burn

nm - popped the drive in and it is a Liteon 812s