Of 204 individuals sent warning letters from the RIAA 80 have been filed lawsuits

I just posted the article Of 204 individuals sent warning letters from the RIAA 80 have been filed lawsuits..

Since we reported on the RIAA sending out 204 warning letters to individuals warning that they will be sued if they do not settle, 124 of those have decided to resolve this issue…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7014-Of-204-individuals-sent-warning-letters-from-the-RIAA-80-have-been-filed-lawsuits_.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7014-Of-204-individuals-sent-warning-letters-from-the-RIAA-80-have-been-filed-lawsuits_.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The RIAA sues everyone and yet cd sales still go down

would be interesting too see how much money its costing them to do all this im sure the money they spend on all this might be better spent giving it to the artists, producers etc… but i guess that doesnt solve the problem…

Where have they gone? Other P2P services. And some just have run out of things to download. It’s not like there’s much of value being released these days. BTW, anybody see South Park last night?

this whole thing is sick! i had to stop downloading music, and now i don’t buy cds. i used to buy a lot of the music i downloaded, but now i can’t even try out different artists- i also don’t get radio well out here. RIAA- you are killing yourself!!

but is it making people buy music or more bitter? for me it making me not want to buy it even more!

God forgive that there’s a 3 year recession going on. I guess in the RIAA’s mind, which defies common sense, that couldn’t be the cause of lower sales.

This is funny!.. They sue me, then expect me to buy their music?.. They have to be kidding???

Maybe that’s not what they want…perhaps they only want people to stop illegaly copying/spreading their music?

The idea is to discourage people from sharing - that’s why they are not going after people downloading. Once people stop sharing - the p2p network dies. Kazaa was big because it had many people sharing. The natural course will be for people to move to other p2p (remember Napster ??). There are now serverless p2p (overnet) and anonymous p2p programs are being devloped. Once this is done, it will be very hard for RIAA to find the identy of file swappers. It’s just a matter of time now. At the present emule/edonkey network is becoming more popular. I wonder if it’s that easy to find user’s ip on this p2p, as it is on kazaa.

“and anonymous p2p programs are being devloped”

Perhaps they see their time invested in a failing technology. troubled by bad media, and other problems being left behind by emerging format, digital andotherwise, and are unwilling to invest the same amount of time and money it took to transition people from tape to CDs. CDs appeared in the early 80’s but didn’t take off as a popular format till the later 80’s. Also they see they days of high profit and little or no cost to make a product disappearing and they dont want to give up their multi-million dollar houses and BMWs. These people aren’t protecting their product. They are protecting a way of life they built on the backs of others.

I havent bought a real CD in a long time. When Napster said to boycott them, I did. And I haven’t bought anything since. This whole issue is going to make me continue to behave like this for atleast 2 decades. I know I can’t be the only one that would actually do this, so the RIAA really isn’t helping themselves. BTW, damiandimitri, on eMule I can click a user and show info, and it gives an IP, but that’s for the server. So, how can I get a user’s IP, I can see their individual hash, but can that be turned into an IP or is it just random (oh no! I’ve forgotten!). If there isn’t any way for this to be done within eMule itself, or anything compatible with it, then any info the RIAA can get from it would have been obtained with some interesting techniques, perhaps illegal…

“The fact that the overwhelming majority of those who received the notification letter contacted us and were eager to resolve the claims is another clear signal that the music community’s education and enforcement campaign is getting the message out.” Thats not true. They are afraid they will go bankrupt.

damiandimitri - what anonymous p2p do you reffer to?

i use filetopia…and we have an other i use for work sometimes…forgot its name it encodes i send from my home to work and i always can reach my work stuff If there isn’t any way for this to be done within eMule itself, or anything compatible with it, then any info the RIAA can get from it would have been obtained with some interesting techniques, perhaps illegal… why would it be illegal for them…to protect the stuff they want to sell??? …the other problem is…i can’t proof they snoop my other packages of perhaps stuff i send to my work. It is damn hard to proof anything…from our side. I don’t know exactly how they get the ip in emule…but there are tools to find out…NEver used them. Let me try to find some info about it
[edited by damiandimitri on 01.11.2003 13:17]

emule/endonkey uses he servers to know where files are…nothing more…this is the only thing that the servers do…keeping track of files. Not all emules show IP adresses…but they are there…Because you don’t see them, doesn’t mean they are not used. You need the IP to connect to the other user. I try to find the webside…where i found this…but i can’t find it. But i keep trying to find it

Well, since I have over 30,000 mp3 tracks, all high quality tightly organized, and playing over my networked set top Audiotron music streemer to my living room surround sound system I couldn’t care less if I never download another song for the rest of my life. Now, on to renting, ripping, and encoding movies muhahahaha.

IPs will be shown all the time. Maybe not externally, but internally. hack the software and modify it, you’ll see the IP as large as the whole damn screen. RIAA can do that. But hey, reverse engineering is illegal, isn’t it? Well, p2p sharers will exist even in the future. At a certain point they will be replaced by i2i technologies (intranet-to-intranet), which seems to be a more secure way of sharing stuff. passworded FTPs will be there for a large amount of time, of course. And to all people receiving letters from RIAA: destroy the evidence, if any. Keep your data on CDs, not on your HDDs, or if you keep the data on HDDs, be ready to take them out of your computers as soon as you receive that infamous letter.