OEM internal dvd drives bad quality today?

vbimport

I bought the 7240S, 7260S, and a 22xLG burner recently. ALL have started to fail within 1-3 months. On many occasions the computer would not recognize them, have to reboot for them to show up. Other times windows media player freezes and completely locks up the computer upon launch (when there are media disks in the drives). Other times I just get constantly skipping playback.

I rmaed the 7240s, now the replacement one is showing signs of failure too. So that’s 4 drives.

The last time I bought dvd burners was back in 2006, and those two (liteon and LG) lasted me 4 years.

Are the oem internal burners built to fail quickly? Are the manufactures trying to focus on external drives/blue ray drives instead?

Have you tried the drives in another computer? Perhaps you have something else going on.

Have you updated drivers for the motherboard chipset? They usually contain the SATA drivers necessary for the SATA controller.

My 7240s has been going strong for quite a long time with no signs of trouble.

Yo-

I agree with Kerry - there might be something else going on.

I’ve been using and trying the newer drives for years - and I’ve only had one actually fail on me.

I have already used new SATA cables. Other than that I can’t imagine how the motherboard could be killing the drives. I don’t have another computer.

What I’m implying here is that the drives aren’t actually at fault, but that you may have issues elsewhere. The SATA controller is the interface between your drives and your motherboard. The drivers for the SATA controller are one area to explore for better performance.

You might also try clearing the upper and lower filters. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/upperfilters-lowerfilters.htm Though I’m not sure it really fits as the problem.

May I throw in PSU issues?

Michael

Yep, my thought too.
Would be a logical explanation for the drive destruction queue.

The why are the other components fine?

Be happy that it is so.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2564542]May I throw in PSU issues?

Michael[/QUOTE]

Yo Michael-

GOOD call bra!! :clap:

*(and [B]quality[/B] ones at that-eh)

Just one question, if you are talking about buying drives how are they “OEM”

AD

Yo AD

‘OEM’ = bare drive not in retail box-eh.

That would be BULK…

OEM is original equipment manufacturers and should NOT be sold seperately, only within a complete computer.
That’s for the THEORY.

Correct, “OEM” is what say… Dell, Compaq or HP installed in your computer.

“plain box” = “bulk”

Like all the hard drives I buy from Newegg.

on optical drives generally speaking cheap drives aren’t necissarily a bargain.

the current drive that is annoying me is an LG GH22NS “Super-Multi” drive.
It works, but for audio extraction it’s slow as hell… what would you expect for
a drive that commonly sells for <$20?

In optical drives you generally get what you pay for.

AD

Newegg refers to bulk items as OEM in their listings. So OEM has shifted in common usage from its original meaning, simply because the online retailers have misused the term. Just a matter of semantics, and not something to get fussed about.

Though “true” OEM optical drives often have proprietary firmware, and you must remain aware of that.

Lots of MISuse by someone as often visited as Newegg leads to common misusege, but that doesn’t make it proper useage.

OEM is whatever the factory stuck in there OR an identical replacement.

“bulk” or “whitebox” doesn’t necissarily make something OEM to YOUR system. Something that might be OEM somewhere else, well most here get it…

The idea I’m trying to spread is don’t propagate/perpetuate someone else’s misuse.

but back to the original question “White box” Optical drives aren’t necissarily
of low quality nor are inexpensive drives. but don’t be suprised when inexpensive
drives prove to be of low quality.

AD

Yo AD-

One of the many attributes of CD Freaks (aka MyCE) has been to simplify both terminology and purpose for the uninitiated/newbies and common folks who want to become more proficient and literate about the confusing and slang filled computer parts/program world. We could have adopted a strict criteria of using nothing but correct and proper terminology like other sites do - but that would not help the masses like we do. It must be successful - 'cause we have almost a half million members now.

Using [B]Kerry56[/B] and [COLOR=“Blue”][B]mciahel[/B][/COLOR] as an examples of clear cut help to thousands of folks over the years - they have very successfully used common and ‘slang’ terms to explain a situation or fix.

Our mission has always been to help and nurture - not baffle with terminology and engineering prowess-eh.

Happy Holidays,

Mike

[I]I’m suggesting that WE do not repeat newegg’s misuses of terminology[/I]

I’ll quibble with Kerry that “newegg’s misuse” of a term equals “common useage”. their MISuseage certainly [I]common[/I] enough on their site…
I’m just suggesting it stay [I]there[/I] and not come [I]here[/I]

I’m trying to point out (altrustically) what I believe is the inevitible result of [I]not[/I] correcting misuses of terminology makes things more complicated rather than less.

I may be tilting at windmills here, but it’s in a good cause…

And No, I don’t want to be a member of the grammar police… :slight_smile:

AD

[QUOTE=Goit;2564520]…

Are the oem internal burners built to fail quickly? Are the manufactures trying to focus on external drives/blue ray drives instead?[/QUOTE]

Have you tested those drives in another box to confirm the faults?

There are so many threads on all sites made in the past few years that talk about the drives today being worse in build quality. There is no denying it.

Are external drives of better build quality because they are more expensive?