OEM firmware for Optiarc AD-7203S?

vbimport

The drive is in an eMachines ET1161-05. The drive’s current firmware is 1-B0.

I downloaded the auto reset, bitsetting 1.09 firmware for the drive, dumped the existing firmware…

The dump is only 1,793K while the 1.09 firmware is 3,585K! Will that work or did eMachines have this drive made with a smaller flash chip?

Anyone know of a later firmware used in this drive by eMachines?

Hi,

if I remember correctly, the 3.6M firmware package contains two versions of the firmware. The flasher will automagically select the proper one for your drive.

Emachines is part of Acer, who haven’t been famous for providing firmware updates for the optical drives they ship their computers with.

Michael

Acer Europe does a much better job. Last I checked the latest BIOS for my two year old Acer laptop on their US site was 1.19. At Acer Europe it’s 1.49, and they have newer driver updates.

I wonder if Acer Europe used this same drive with the same OEM firmware?

Anyone want the dump from it?

[QUOTE=bizzybody;2497602]Acer Europe does a much better job. Last I checked the latest BIOS for my two year old Acer laptop on their US site was 1.19. At Acer Europe it’s 1.49, and they have newer driver updates.

I wonder if Acer Europe used this same drive with the same OEM firmware?

Anyone want the dump from it?[/QUOTE]

Since when is the 7203 a slimtype drive?

[QUOTE=bizzybody;2497392]The dump is only 1,793K while the 1.09 firmware is 3,585K! Will that work or did eMachines have this drive made with a smaller flash chip?[/QUOTE]
Like Michael already said, the downloaded firmware contains two firmwares. There was a hardware change for these drives which was reflected in different bootcodes/firmwares. The large files contain versions for both hardware revisions.

[QUOTE=chef;2497679]Since when is the 7203 a slimtype drive?[/QUOTE]
Who said that? :eek:

Whats the connection of post#3 then?

I just wondered.

I thought he just mentioned Acer because he prefered their firmware support. But maybe I misunderstood that.

Yeah, true. My bad.

Anyway, what I’d like to know is if the newer(?) firmware might work better with more media? I bought a bunch of 2.4x Hewlett Packard branded DVD+R DL and so far I’ve managed to burn one out of five without an error.

There’s only one way to know for sure: try it!

As a general rule, though, you should always try to have the latest firmware installed on your burner because there’s almost always been tweaks to make it work better with existing and new media. If it were me, I’d flash it without a second thought.

[QUOTE=bizzybody;2499397]Anyway, what I’d like to know is if the newer(?) firmware might work better with more media? I bought a bunch of 2.4x Hewlett Packard branded DVD+R DL and so far I’ve managed to burn one out of five without an error.[/QUOTE]

The only way to get consistent and reliable DL burns is to use Verbatim or FalconMedia Pro DL media. All other DL media is substandard for the most part.

Emachines is part of Acer, who haven’t been famous for providing firmware updates for the optical drives they ship their computers with.

Such a change from when Acer was BenQ.