OEM drives - how to tell which OEM

vbimport

I recently found an old slimline USB-to-ATAPI enclosure on the shelf and decided to install a BC-5500A Blu-Ray combo drive that I found for a bargain price.

I’d like to find the most recent firmware available, but am puzzled as to where to look.

The installed firmware is V1.41. The generic firmware flasher on the Optiarc web site is V1.05, and it recognizes my drive and offers to flash it … but I haven’t done that because I really don’t know whether it’s newer or older, and I can’t back up the original encrypted firmware.

Sony has VAIO firmware updates going to V1.7f, but even after extracting the Optiarc flasher from the VAIO installer package, it does not recognize the drive as valid for the firmware.

I suspect that V1.41 is a factory firmware rev for a different OEM, and if so I might be able to find the latest firmware from the support website of that OEM. So … how to determine which laptop manufacturer my BC-5500A was originally manufactured for?

The BC-5500A 1.4x firmwares are Fujitsu OEM. Unfortunately they haven’t released any firmware updates for this drive, and it is currently not possible to OEM crossflash any Sony Optiarc BluRay drives, so I’m afraid you’re stuck with what you’ve got.

[QUOTE=cvs;2686166]The BC-5500A 1.4x firmwares are Fujitsu OEM. Unfortunately they haven’t released any firmware updates for this drive, and it is currently not possible to OEM crossflash any Sony Optiarc BluRay drives, so I’m afraid you’re stuck with what you’ve got.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. I kinda expected that was the case, but this is the place to ask :slight_smile:

…always from the drive sticker [B]and[/B] the discinfo…