OEM AD-7200a and Optiarc flasher

Family member has a Gateway machine which has a factory-installed AD-7200A with firmware 1.W2. Downloaded V1.09 from the Optiarc support site, and the flasher says “target not found”. Have not yet tried PIO mode, but first I was able to dump the installed firmware with binflash. The internal ID string says “AD-7200A 1.W22008012900”

Are there real issues using generic firmware with OEM drives? The support site warns this.

It is quite difficult to say if there will be issues. Some OEM drives have different boot codes. But i think the latest Binflash detects the correct bootcode and wont allow a flash if it doesn’t match with the firmware. But maybe it’s best to wait and see if Liggy can confirm this.

Flashing should be fine when the latest Binflash version is used. You should also be able to flash back in case anything doesn’t work as expected - but this should usually not happen. Getting this 1.W2 firmware would be nice too :wink:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2213055]Flashing should be fine when the latest Binflash version is used. You should also be able to flash back in case anything doesn’t work as expected - but this should usually not happen. Getting this 1.W2 firmware would be nice too ;)[/QUOTE]

That’d be the LEAST I could do :slight_smile:

http://rapidshare.com/files/194433944/AD7200A_1W2.ZIP

If you have any insights after looking at the dump, please post.

Looks like just another OEM firmware for the 0.12 bootcode drives. A little - but not much - newer than the 1.04 firmware for the 7200A

Thanks. Would you feel it’d be safe to force-flash an original Optiarc firmware using BinFlash?

Let’s put it a slightly different way.
If this was my burner, I would probably already have flashed the latest Optiarc firmware for that burner with RPC1 and Bitsetting patch :wink: