Odd Sound Problems after encoding?

I would like to take an .avi file and burn it to a DVD. I have tried two different programs, and two different .avi files but have gotten the same result both times. Once the .vob files are created, and I test them (the first time I ‘tested’ by going ahead and burning the DVD) the movie is fine, but the audio is not. What I get is within the movie, there is only bass, no treble at all. Like the rumblings and stuff you can hear but no voices or other sounds. I first used Cucusoft’s avi to mpeg program, and when its conversion was done, I was left with three files. The mpa file was just the audio, and it sounded great. The m2v (that may be mv2, I forget) file was there, and the completed product, the .mpg file. I then used their free DVD author program to take the mpg and turn it into vob files. After burning it to a DVD, I discovered nothing but bass within it. I found a version of DVDSanta to try thinking it may have been the program and I also tried an entirely different .avi. DVDSanta makes the .vob files automatically so once they were done I tried playing one of them directly with PowerDVD and received the same result. I have no idea what could be happening here to cause this and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

So your used 3 different programs to convert it with the same problem. I’d say your AVI has serious audio problems. Try extracting the audio out of the AVI with VirtualDUB, then convert it to mp2 with BeSweet(or TooLame) and finally author it with one of the *.m2v files your convertedl in TMPGEnc DVD Author.

Nero is reported by many to have audio issues (and much more), Cucusoft & DVD Santa, well I think their stupid names suggests how good those 2 programs are. If you want a simple all in one AVI to DVD converter that works for most, I’d suggest you check out The FilmMachine.

Well actually, I tried encoding one .avi with cucusoft’s avi to dvd program and had the sound problem. I then tried using DVDSanta with an entirely different .avi file but had the exact same problem. Last night I tried converting the first .avi file using dvd2svcd (but using the avi to dvd tutorial that you guys wrote) and I followed every step explicitly. This morning I had the same exact result with the finished product. The movie is great, and I have some sound (just deep bass) but that’s it. It is very strange and I am beginning to wonder if it is a problem with a codec or something somewhere. The audio plays fine in the .avi and the .mpa or whatever the file was that cucusoft created the first time that was just sound, it was fine. Very strange.