Odd problem burning with Lg 4120B

vbimport

Guys having a small problem burning with LG 4120B, really pissing me off here. Was using the A111 firmware, and upon completion of the burn I would try and read the discs back in the drive, and would hang at various vts files, and would not read. DVDinfopro would not complete scans, the whole nine yards. Went back to A104 firmware and the problems persist. Very frustrating, is there a chance anyone can help? BTW, I have a 5120 as well, and the problems are the same there, so I am unwilling to call it the drive quite yet.
The media is Prodisc F01, and Ritek G05’s. The problems are the same on both media.

try other media and c if the sm issue persists.

Use quality media. 4120 does not cope well with crappy media!

Have you tried the A112 firmware?

Trying the A112 firmware now again… Also using TDK discs, the 25 pack that was on sale at best buy. It appears that the discs that I do finish are fine, but I am now getting the dreaded tracking servo error. Now I dont see anyone that seems to have this problem with the 5120 as well. I of course am. Any ideas?
I would also like to go back to using the printable prodisc and Ritek discs. If anyone has any ideas, they would be appreciated!

Another interesting thing… Drive wont recognize the discs as being 8x compatible. Although it recognizes the discs as 8x in the 5120. Will try a burn at that end again with the A104 firmware

My buddy was getting this problem on his older LG it was the same as mine but I can’t remember the model number it was only a 2x -r and ram burner anyway he was getting this error right before he had to replace it. If the Burner is still under warranty I might suggest getting it exchanged.
My burner just puked two nights ago and I got the GSA-4120b I can’t get it to burn any faster than 4x on 8x memorex DVD-r I haven’t tried anything else, haven’t had much time

[QUOTE=bjct430My burner just puked two nights ago and I got the GSA-4120b I can’t get it to burn any faster than 4x on 8x memorex DVD-r I haven’t tried anything else, haven’t had much time[/QUOTE]

Have you updated your firmware to A111 or higher?

Guys this is really messed up… This is a brand new burner, I brought it back to the store and replaced on the weekend. The drive is still giving me the errors. This is the LG 5120B. Any ideas?
What a piss off… Burning at 4x on 8X TDK DVDr. Thank you much

This drive is known to be very picky on media - it will underspeed a lot.

My BENQ 8X +R’s only burn at 4X. I blame that on my relatively slow processor - an AMD XP1700. But that is fine. I bought 200 of them at the Future Shop for $60.00 Canadian. I read somewhere that a 1630b needs at least a pentium 4 at 2.4 gig to burn at 16X. :iagree:

I don’t think this is due to your processor. Do you have the option of burning at 8x or is the only option available 4x?

No 8X option there.

In that case I would think the drive is missing a write strategy for the media or deliberately under speeding it.