OD2 launches UK music download store 1 day ahead of Apple

vbimport

I just posted the article OD2 launches UK music download store 1 day ahead of Apple.

OD2 SonicSelector has launched its music download
service in the UK, just one
day ahead of Apple’s predicted UK launch
date. Like OD2’s other retail
partner’s, it will offer…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8494-OD2-launches-UK-music-download-store-1-day-ahead-of-Apple.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8494-OD2-launches-UK-music-download-store-1-day-ahead-of-Apple.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Let me spell it out for the uncomprehending businesses: I-W-I-L-L-N-O-T-P-A-Y-M-O-N-E-Y-F-O-R-D-R-M It’s as simple as that

I gotta say, I quite like the sounds of the pay per play scheme and the price (1p) sounds fair to me. I cant think of any songs I LOVE listening to and would want to hear more than 50 times at the MOST for the VERY good ones. This means it would cost me 50p for the song over my lifetime which sounds alot more reasonable. It also lets me test out songs and see if I like them without wasting £1 getting them. Paying 1p to test a song sounds fair enough - covers costs for them :stuck_out_tongue: I think that sounds like a good pricing policy and the first one I’ve heard of at all that makes me think ‘hmm, I might actually consider trying that legally’. Even thou, having said that, it’d fully depend on how much the DRM made it a pain in the ass for me to put on my mp3 player etc.

Zulu… Has the thought occured to you that perhaps it’s not that the business are uncomprehensive, but perhaps as a business that’s selling hundreds of millions of songs they simply don’t care what you personally will pay for? I think it’s as simple as that.

I also agree with the pay-per-play scheme. It will give a competitive advantage over apple at least :slight_smile: The only issue now is that it is limited to PC only as I cannot see how a pay-per-play scheme would work on a portable player without authorising the 1p payment each time the user pushes ‘play’. :stuck_out_tongue: OD2 Eircom’s music service in Ireland offers this same capability and also gives the option to get unlimited listening to a song for one year at 10c/song (temporary download). The only thing I do not like about OD2’s service is their use of WMA. While I’m happy enough of them allowing the user to record their own Audio-CD’s, I do not like the annoying audible artefacts WMA has, even at 128kbps 2-pass VBR encoding. :r

I think I’m quite safe in thinking that I am not alone

Then goto allofmp3.com , 1 cent a meg for any format you want at any bitrate. Althought some true pirates will still find a complaint with the site i’m guessing. :d