OCZ Vertex 450 - 256GB SSD Review

vbimport

I just posted the article OCZ Vertex 450 - 256GB SSD Review.

The popular OCZ Vertex 4 gets a refresh in the shape of the new Vertex 450 series of SSDs.
Featuring a brand new Indilinx BareFoot 3 M10 SSD controller, and 20nm IMFT NAND.

The transition to 20nm NAND is however inevitable. It has lower power requirements, and it should be cheaper than 25nm NAND.

So how does the OCZ Vertex 450 SSD perform?
Let’s find out in this review.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/ocz-vertex-450-256gb-ssd-review-67226/](http://www.myce.com/review/ocz-vertex-450-256gb-ssd-review-67226/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This hit me like a ton of bricks, I never saw it coming, the most well kept secret in the industry. I was awaiting the Vertex 5.
Excellent review Wendy, I have a few points that bother me about this new offering from OCZ. The Vector has a 5 Year warrantee, the Vertex 4.50 has a 3 Year warrantee. They are both priced within a few dollars of each other

The OCZ Vertex 450 is available in 128GB, 256GB and 512GB capacities with MSRP pricing set at $129.99, $234.99 and $499.99, respectively. The Vertex 450 carries a three year warranty with the SSD rated for 20GB/day host writes under typical client workloads.

From your review I have learned they both have same controller and different firmware. The speeds are slower than the Vector ( not much) but slower none the less. I am only going by what I have read, I do not have this SSD to test. So from first view, its seem you lose 2 years warrantee and pay the same price as the Vector, ( and I love my Vector) so it will take either a lower price or a faster drive to make me consider this with the price point being relatively the same.:wink:
Again congrats on another great Myce.com SSD review. :flower:

hmm. That isn’t my quote. :slight_smile:

The Vertex 450 does have a different controller from the Vector. The Vector is Barefoot 3, the Vertex 450 is Barefoot 3 M10.

Vertex 450 also consumes less power.
Vector MSRP is $299.99 compared to Vertex 450 which is $234.99.

If money is not a concern then the Vector is the better choice as it has 25nm NAND and a 5 year warranty, but Vertex 450 is very good value, IMO.
And performance is not far behind.

[QUOTE=Dee;2688504]hmm. That isn’t my quote. :slight_smile:

The Vertex 450 does have a different controller from the Vector. The Vector is Barefoot 3, the Vertex 450 is Barefoot 3 M10.

Vertex 450 also consumes less power.
Vector MSRP is $299.99 compared to Vertex 450 which is $234.99.

If money is not a concern then the Vector is the better choice as it has 25nm NAND and a 5 year warranty, but Vertex 450 is very good value, IMO.
And performance is not far behind.[/QUOTE]
I took that quote from OCZ. I also made a mistake , I was not aware that the Barefoot 3 had a new model (M10) I wish I had read a little slower, my fault. But as we all know these MSRP prices are not reality, most Amazon sites and others all have them at different prices, the Vector is going for more than MSRP in some cases. I will be interested to see what the 450 is initially priced at. Still the price points are close and the Vector seems to be the superior drive, like I said I have yet to try the 450 but from your review, they seem very close. You know I purchase by what I read in your reviews and while this is absolutely a superior SSD, I just cant seem to find a way to choose it over the Vector with the MSRP prices being so close. Lets see what they actually sell for on Amazon and other sites like Newegg soon. I apologize for quoting another source But the information in the quote is accurate I believe. I just quoted it because it was a concise sentence.

Here is an example of the prices of the 256gb Vector on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9YQP8I/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller= 249.99USD

So the prices are relatively the same, if the 450 is released at the MSRP.