OCZ Vertex 4 SSD review

vbimport

I just posted the article OCZ Vertex 4 SSD review.

Hot off the press

Today OCZ Technology launch their Vertex 4 series SSD.
The Vertex 4 uses the brand new Indilinx Everest 2 SSD controller, and promises class leading performance and reliability.

Let’s find out in this review how it really performs.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/ocz-vertex-4-ssd-review-61096/](http://www.myce.com/review/ocz-vertex-4-ssd-review-61096/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This is the best review on the internet and yes I do read them all. This is what you call an in depth review by someone who konw what they are doing. This drive is ground breaking in the technology it uses. If you buy any other SSD you are in the past. Congrats Wendy, this is an example of hard work and understanding the technology.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2628783]This is the best review on the internet and yes I do read them all. This is what you call an in depth review by someone who konw what they are doing. This drive is ground breaking in the technology it uses. If you buy any other SSD you are in the past. Congrats Wendy, this is an example of hard work and understanding the technology.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with that Alan. :iagree:

The amount of effort that Wendy puts into these reviews is phenomenal and I know that as I see the length of time taken to produce them behind the scenes.

This is exactly the sort of thing that brings people here as you’ll not get technically adept reviews of this sort of calibre anywhere else, and I’m not just saying that.

Superlative job Wendy! :bow::bow:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks Dee, excellent review :clap:

Excellent review.

Seems like Indilinx weren’t so much choking on Sandforces dust & exhaust, but delayed while mounting the jet engine to their jalopy :slight_smile:

It seems like SSD’s are finally living up to what they’ve been claiming from the inception :iagree:

All that has developed from those slow as molasses compact flash cards :smiley:

Yo Wendy-

Absolutely OUTSTANDING job of testing and reporting in a way that most will understand-eh!

As always a GREAT job Dee :clap:

Thank You :smiley:

Excellent work!! :clap:

I did not expect anything to leap that far ahead of the SandForce 2 based SSDs with SATA3 already becoming a bottleneck, but this clearly shows there was plenty of room for improvement even over SATA3. I also saw OCZ’s YouTube videos showing saved game loads against the Vertex 3 and was surprised to see yet another improvement with just everyday usage instead of improvements that would only be seen with a busy enterprise server.

It’s also exciting to see AS SSD break the 1000 mark, not to mention 1100 in your review, plus no degradation with incompressible data or heavy use. :cool:

Thanks for another excellent review. :bow: OCZ working again with Indilinx on major products is sort of unexpected. I am running two OCZ Vertex 3 120GB drives and one OCZ Agility 3 120GB drives on this SBE system. The Dell laptop left to this system has an Agility 3 60GB. After reading these Indilinx-based OCZ drive reviews, I’m going to replace those with Octane and Vertex 4.

New Vertex 4 firmware released (version 1.5)

Here are a few results.

This is one heck of a deal.:slight_smile:

That’s an incredible price there, especially for the Vertex 4! :eek:

For comparison, Amazon UK has it for £195 (~US$306)

[QUOTE=Seán;2644564]That’s an incredible price there, especially for the Vertex 4! :eek:

For comparison, Amazon UK has it for £195 (~US$306)[/QUOTE]

I want to buy one except for the fact that I have so many already, I have no more rigs to fit it.:(

In Italy (as usual) is even worst :doh:

[QUOTE=geno888;2644567]In Italy (as usual) is even worst :doh:[/QUOTE]

It just got cheaper, now it has a 10.00 rebate and its only 199.99

<TABLE class=product><TBODY><TR><TD class=priceBlockLabel>List Price:</TD><TD><STRIKE>$279.99</STRIKE></TD></TR><TR id=actualPriceRow><TD id=actualPriceLabel class=priceBlockLabelPrice>Price:</TD><TD id=actualPriceContent>[B]$209.99[/B] </TD></TR><TR style=“DISPLAY: none” id=dealPriceRow><TD id=dealPriceLabel class=priceBlockLabel>Deal Price: </TD><TD id=dealPriceContent></TD></TR><TR id=youSaveRow class=youSavePriceRow><TD id=youSaveLabel class=priceBlockLabel>You Save:</TD><TD id=youSaveContent class=price>$70.00 (25%) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=priceBlockLabel>Post-purchase rebate:</TD><TD class=price>$10.00 Get forms </TD></TR><TR><TD class=priceBlockLabel>Price after rebate:</TD><TD class=price>$199.99</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks, but i dont see this drive show up at shops nearby me :smiley:

[QUOTE=joshuatly;2648582]Thanks, but i dont see this drive show up at shops nearby me :D[/QUOTE]
You can buy it on almost any online retailer in the USA and Europe.:flower:

[QUOTE=joshuatly;2648582]Thanks, but i dont see this drive show up at shops nearby me :D[/QUOTE]
Can buy them here in Oz at about $230-240 for a 256GB model.
Or about $140-150 for the 128.

The agility 4 can be obtained about $30/unit cheaper than the vertex 4 … but with a 25% performance hit … I wonder whether it would really be the market of anything but the tightest customer.

[QUOTE=debro;2648731]Can buy them here in Oz at about $230-240 for a 256GB model.
Or about $140-150 for the 128.

The agility 4 can be obtained about $30/unit cheaper than the vertex 4 … but with a 25% performance hit … I wonder whether it would really be the market of anything but the tightest customer.[/QUOTE]

Which 25%? I have no Vertex 4/Agility 4, but have used some Vertex 2/Agility 2 and Vertex 3/Agility 3.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2648734]Which 25%? I have no Vertex 4/Agility 4, but have used some Vertex 2/Agility 2 and Vertex 3/Agility 3.[/QUOTE]
Vertex4 -> Linky
Agility4 -> Linky

At the 256MB size for V4 : A4 respectively,
Sequential reads: 560 : 420 MB/s
Sequential writes: 510 : 410 MB/s
Random 4K read ops: 90,000 : 48,000 /s
Random 4K write ops: 85,000 : 85,000 /s

Basically, the vertex 4 has a performance drop of about 25% sequential read, 20% sequential write, 47% for random 4K read ops - random write ops remains the same (apparently).
Also, the ECC correction performance is better on the V4 compared to the A4.

They’ve deliberately crippled the Agility 4 to make it a budget product, and possibly not to anger the Vertex 3 customers.