OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD - Preview

I just posted the article OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD - Preview.

Intent on building from their success with the Vertex 2 series of SSDs, OCZ have announced the new Vertex 3 series of SSDs.

I was fortunate enough to have been able to obtain an engineering sample from OCZ, and I am proud to present a preview of this new SATA 6Gbps SSD solution.

The new Vertex 3 240GB uses the brand new SandForce SF-2281 high performance “client” SSD processor.
Let’s find out in this article how it performs.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/ocz-vertex-3-240gb-ssd-preview-40589/](http://www.myce.com/review/ocz-vertex-3-240gb-ssd-preview-40589/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Great review Wendy, I am really excited at all this new technology ( new to me anyway) When Intel gets the new Sandy Bridge Chips squared away and there are new mobos for them, I just might get one of these for my system drive, its big enough and hopefully priced to the regular guy. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Absolutely awesome perfomance from this drive.

Great review too Dee. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B]

How does the Vertex3 compare to the Revodrive X2?

[QUOTE=debro;2577090]How does the Vertex3 compare to the Revodrive X2?[/QUOTE]Although I haven’t really compared them, the RevoDrive X2 (at least the 240GB version) is still faster from what I recall.

I will be comparing them in the full review, there just wasn’t time to include the RevoDrive results in the preview.

I will also post a few results in this thread sometime over the weekend with the Vertex 3 connected to P67 SATA2.

@Alan
Vertex 3 and P67 SATA 6Gbps seem to be a great combination.

[QUOTE=Dee;2577103]Although I haven’t really compared them, the RevoDrive X2 (at least the 240GB version) is still faster from what I recall.

I will be comparing them in the full review, there just wasn’t time to include the RevoDrive results in the preview.

I will also post a few results in this thread sometime over the weekend with the Vertex 3 connected to P67 SATA2.

[B]@Alan[/B]
[B]Vertex 3 and P67 SATA 6Gbps seem to be a great combination[/B].[/QUOTE] Thats what I wanted to hear, I just have to wait a little now for the chips and mobos to be re-released.:slight_smile: Thanks Wendy.:wink:

Thanks Dee. Enjoy reading these SSD reviews

As promised, a few results of the Vertex 3 connected to SATA 2 (P67)

I’ve added some text to the screenshots, to explain how the drive was connected for each test.

Woot!
MAXXED OUT

Sata 3Gbps = 3,000,000,000/1024/1024/8 = 357.6MB/s.

I see the Sata3000 provides a sustained 265MB/s, with only a small tolerance - theoretical speed is about 357.6MB/s.
Obviously the sata protocol overhead is close to 26% because the drive is easily faster than the port :iagree: