OCZ Vector SSD Review

vbimport

I just posted the article OCZ Vector SSD Review.

The OCZ Vector is OCZ’s first fully in-house designed and built SSD, using the brand new Indilinx BareFoot 3 SSD controller.
BareFoot 3 actually has 2 processors, an ARM Cortex and OCZ’s own Aragon co-processor. Aragon is a R.I.S.C. design, specifically made for SSDs.
Let’s find out how this brand new SSD performs.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/ocz-vector-ssd-review-64988/](http://www.myce.com/review/ocz-vector-ssd-review-64988/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I been waiting for this review, very nice Wendy, extremely impressive, I hope this brings OCZ back to the top of the SSD world. Prices will be a deciding factor. Congrats Wendy on another great review.

It’s very impressive indeed and a great review.

I keep saying this but I’m always amazed at how the performance of these things keeps improving.

Just when you think they’re reaching a peak the next best thing comes along that’s even faster.

Amazing.

[B]Wombler[/B]

The Vector is now available on Amazon and Newegg , its expensive but it available now.

Excellent review, much appreciated.

Yo Wendy-

Excellent review.

However - OCZ is currently in severe financial disarray! The chances of OCZ being in business five years from now appears very much in doubt! (Mrsmyke and I own 3,000 shares of OCZ stock and I keep up with it several times a day).

Bottom line - I would caution anyone thinking about purchasing this SSD drive - or any other OCZ product for that matter - wait a couple of months to see how the OCZ financial problems shake out-eh!

For the record, if you bought OCZ at 1.18 a share you are a happy man today, its up over 40% in the last 2 days.

Thanks for the comments.
I’ll say more about the Vector later, as I’m up to my eyes with review work.
But regarding OCZ Technology as a company, I think you all may find the following an interesting read.

With so many SSD vendors at the moment I think there will be some consolidation, I can hardly believe there will continue this amount of SSD vendors. We saw it with ODD as well. At first many brands, then a lot of joint ventures…

I have faith in OCZ and their technology, they are cutting edge and now they control their own destiny, owning all the parts that make up their product.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2666217]I have faith in OCZ and their technology, they are cutting edge and now they control their own destiny, owning all the parts that make up their product.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you can say that concerning ARM and Qualcomm. The really important part of SSD is NAND chip, and even Intel and Micron that own NAND production lines have troubles.

Well, OCZ seems to have the worst failure rate on SSD.

[QUOTE=tsdogs;2666316]Well, OCZ seems to have the worst failure rate on SSD.[/QUOTE]

They also sell the most, so that’s not surprising. They also have the best support and tech community.

I have a Vertex-3 that freezes regularly and locks up any SATA controller it’s on regardless of AHCI or IDE mode. I replaced it with a Vertex-4 that’s rock solid with no issues of any kind. The sustained transfer rates are nice to have, but its the IOPS that is the most noticeable. The Vertex-4 is great for that, and it looks like the Vector is even better.

Given the alternative of platter based drives, any SSD is better than none. Looks like the Vector will be my next one.

[QUOTE=CDan;2666322]They also sell the most, so that’s not surprising. They also have the best support and tech community.

I have a Vertex-3 that freezes regularly and locks up any SATA controller it’s on regardless of AHCI or IDE mode. I replaced it with a Vertex-4 that’s rock solid with no issues of any kind. The sustained transfer rates are nice to have, but its the IOPS that is the most noticeable. The Vertex-4 is great for that, and it looks like the Vector is even better.

Given the alternative of platter based drives, any SSD is better than none. Looks like the Vector will be my next one.[/QUOTE]
Couldn’t have said it better myself. and yes the Vector, if and when the prices break a bit will be my next SSD, from Wendys review it looks like they absolutely have a winner.

[QUOTE=CDan;2666322]They also sell the most, so that’s not surprising. They also have the best support and tech community.
[/QUOTE]

A company selling the most has to have the worst failure rate? Does that mean Volkswagen and Toyota, the two largest car manufacturers in the world, have worse failure rates than car manufacturers in Mumbai and Dubai? How can a company with the worst failure rate keep the best support and tech community?

Seagate and Toshiba have made hard disk drives for at least two or three decades. OCZ has never made any SSD so far, and I doubt it will ever.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2666348]A company selling the most has to have the worst failure rate? Does that mean Volkswagen and Toyota, the two largest car manufacturers in the world, have worse failure rates than car manufacturers in Mumbai and Dubai? How can a company with the worst failure rate keep the best support and tech community?

Seagate and Toshiba have made hard disk drives for at least two or three decades. OCZ has never made any SSD so far, and I doubt it will ever.[/QUOTE]
I think you may be mistaken on this new Vector Kenny, or I do not have my facts right, this new Vector is wholly built and owned by OCZ. They buy no parts from anyone to build it. Like I said, I may be incorrect. But its their controller, their firmware, their SSD. I would like to think they are back on track with this new offering. My Vertex 4 also is a great SSD, never had any issues with it.

OCZ own Indilinx and PLX Technology R&D in the UK (formally Oxford semiconductor).

Indilinx and PLX teams designed and developed Barefoot 3 (the silicon and the firmware).
OCZ probably doesn’t fab the chip themselves, then again AMD don’t fab their processors. They are still AMD processors however.

OCZ don’t manufacture the NAND, Intel and Micron (IMFT) manufacture the NAND wafers. OCZ package the wafers into the NAND packages you see in the Vector.

[QUOTE=Dee;2666364]
OCZ don’t manufacture the NAND, Intel and Micron (IMFT) manufacture the NAND wafers. OCZ package the wafers into the NAND packages you see in the Vector.[/QUOTE]

I have read this elsewhere too, seems to be the “weak link” for OCZ. Having said that, ordered a 128 Vector for my laptop this evening.

Nice to see you over here, [B]24c[/B] and welcome.
I agree about the NAND, but at least OCZ is now sourcing NAND from more than one supplier, so hopefully they wont run into supply problems again.

Regarding the 128GB Vector, I’d love to see some benchmarks of that SSD, here.

Dee,

I am anxious to see how it works too, it’s replacing a Vertex 4 128 in my HP m7-1015 DX:

2.30 GHz 3rd generation Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.30 GHz
Intel HM77 Express Chipset
8GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)

I ran an AS SSD bench on the V4, will do same on Vector when it arrives next week. Then I’ll try to figure out how to post them here, man am I gonna be busy.
:slight_smile: