OCZ RevoDrive x2 PCIe SSD arrives at MyCE

vbimport

I just posted the article RevoDrive x2 PCIe SSD arrives at MyCE.

An extreme SSD from OCZ, the OCZ RevoDrive x2 240GB PCIe SSD.
We take a quick look, and will back this with a full review in the next few days.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/revodrive-x2-pcie-ssd-arrives-at-myce-36541/](http://www.myce.com/news/revodrive-x2-pcie-ssd-arrives-at-myce-36541/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Awesome performance!

I’m sure a lot of people will be keen to read about this one.

Woot!

That’s impressive …
I’m curious about the price tag though :wink:

[QUOTE=debro;2557278]Woot!

That’s impressive …
I’m curious about the price tag though ;)[/QUOTE]

You don’t have to be curious any longer debro :bigsmile:

OCZ RevoDrive OCZSSDPX-1RVD0240 PCI-E x4 240GB PCI Express MLC Internal Solid State Drive

$499.99 + $6.98 Shipping :eek: :eek:

In terms of CD speed, this is a rate of just over 1 CD per second. :slight_smile:

If you get a buffer underrun writing a disc with files sourced from this, then it obviously ain’t going to be the SSD! :bigsmile:

So much for SATA3 (6Gbps) . . . What ever becomes the next ATA standard, it’s got to be fast!! Otherwise, it looks like the future of storage drives is going to have to be this way, i.e. PCIe add-on cards.

I’ve read more than a few reports of bad memory modules in the OCZ form-factor SSD drives. (dead drives in the first few weeks/months of use). I wonder of these drives will be any different.

[QUOTE=Seán;2557377]So much for SATA3 (6Gbps) . . . What ever becomes the next ATA standard, it’s got to be fast!! Otherwise, it looks like the future of storage drives is going to have to be this way, i.e. PCIe add-on cards.[/QUOTE]SATA3 6Gbps is not going to have a long life span where SSDs are concerned, that is for sure. SandForce SF-2000 family of SSD controllers will max that out Q1 2011.
IMO what is needed is a dedicated high speed SSD interface. OCZ have HSDL, and use it on their IBIS series of SSDs.
Should there be a SATA4 standard, doubling the speed form SATA3 is not going to be enough. SATA needs to be moved from the slow speed south bridge/PCH to the high speed north bridge.

@CDan
I have never heard of a single failure of NAND memory on an OCZ SSD, there have been a few controller failures (Indilinx), and a fair number of early SandForce based drives getting stuck in a panic mode due to a firmware bug (I believe). Those drives needed a factory reflash, but from what I understand, these drives have NOT actually died, although that may have been the way the customer perceived the problem.

[QUOTE=getit29;2557369]You don’t have to be curious any longer debro :bigsmile:

OCZ RevoDrive OCZSSDPX-1RVD0240 PCI-E x4 240GB PCI Express MLC Internal Solid State Drive

$499.99 + $6.98 Shipping :eek: :eek:[/QUOTE]

It isn’t Revo [B]X2[/B]
it’s here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227661

out of range and bad timimg ( Black Friday / prepare for glory :bigsmile: )
but I can get it. if I lost [B]Black Friday Battle[/B] :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2557470]It isn’t Revo [B]X2[/B]
it’s here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227661

out of range and bad timimg ( Black Friday / prepare for glory :bigsmile: )[/QUOTE]

Whoa that price is even worse :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

[QUOTE=getit29;2557473]Whoa that price is even worse :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:[/QUOTE]

Yes :iagree: :bigsmile:
I go other way 4 SSD RAID 0
I want over [B]1000MB/S[/B] :bigsmile:
end of this month

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2557474]Yes :iagree: :bigsmile:
I go other way 4 SSD RAID 0
I want over [B]1000MB/S[/B] :bigsmile:
end of this month[/QUOTE]You’ll need to also buy an expensive hardware RAID card if you want 4 SSDs to reach 1000MB/s. Onboard ICH10R is very unlikely to give you that sort of bandwidth on any motherboard.

Also, think of all the space that 4 drives will occupy and the 4 SATA ports they will require, and not to mention all the cables. :slight_smile:

RevoDrive x2 needs one PCIe x4/x8/x16 socket, no cables, no SATA ports required, and very little space, and it’s bootable.

Dee is right. Makes more sense to go down the PCIe path than have 4 x 2.5" drives and an expensive, heavy duty raid card. If you aren’t happy with virtually 800MB/s speed, perhaps you need to spend some money on a visit to a psychologist?

Hi Dee. How can I boot from a PCI-e. Drive can’t see this in my motherboard’s bios. I have a Asus P5Q3 Deluxe motherboard. Any suggestions??

[QUOTE=Chriscreative;2557738]Hi Dee. How can I boot from a PCI-e. Drive can’t see this in my motherboard’s bios. I have a Asus P5Q3 Deluxe motherboard. Any suggestions??[/QUOTE]Once the RevoDrive is fitted, its entry appears the HDD boot order page in the BIOS. You just select it as your boot drive.

I have Win7 installed and booting from the RevoDrive now.

Plug it in :wink:
The bios will pick up the card as a bootable controller … same as any scsi/raid/ide/sata controller card.

Incidentally, Dee … what’s the boot time?

I note that the new MacBook Air claims 12seconds from power on … when configured with the 64GB SSD …

Thanks Dee you just made my day,

[QUOTE=Anton P. Enus;2557728]Dee is right. Makes more sense to go down the PCIe path than have 4 x 2.5" drives and an expensive, heavy duty raid card. If you aren’t happy with virtually 800MB/s speed, perhaps you need to spend some money on a visit to a psychologist?[/QUOTE]

:clap:
How about 3 SSD 500 or 600 ? ( do you any single SSD ? )
who is the best psychologist ?

7.07 seconds to boot to the desktop, from the time I get the “Loading Operating system” message from the BIOS.

Now all I need is to hit the lottery :iagree: or for Santa to be extra good to me this year :iagree:

Thanks Dee

Hi debro talking about scsi-drives. The prices of these drives are quit high why will anybody still buy these drives.??