OCZ readies monster 1TB SSD drive

Memory maker OCZ has confirmed it will launch a new 1TB Solid State Drive (SSD) that will fit 3.5-inch drive slots later this month.

Link: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/18075-ocz-ready-for-a-1tb-ssd-drive.html

:cool::cool:

Will be nice when (or) if the 1TB SSD’s get close to the same price point that a regular old
1TB SATA hdd costs now days but $2,200.00 for one of them :eek: I think that I’ll have to pass
on one until the price comes down. :wink:

While there are plenty who have a terabye or more of movies in their collection, it is hard to imagine what benefit this drive would offer over a traditional 1TB drive. Unlike the OS drive, additional hard disks have minimal impact on the system performance and the only slow down they cause is when copying huge files to and from them. Even Full HD video is not going to play any better from it, as any 1TB hard disk is fast enough to handle the bandwidth.

Of course if you have one of these, you’ll probably need a 2nd to take advantage of its faster transfer rates, since simply copying from this to a traditional 1TB hard disk is not going tobe much quicker than transferring from one spinning 1TB hard disk to another spinning 1TB hard disk. :disagree:

Then again, like the people who fork out on Intel’s >$/€1,000 Extreme CPUs, there are some with deep pockets who will buy the fastest hardware available to get every little bit extra out of their PC.

For the average user who happens to have $2,200 to spare, I would suggest getting something smaller such as a Vertex 120GB, an ordinary 1TB hard disk and use the savings for other tweaks such as other upgrades (e.g. better Graphics card, quieter cooling, etc.) :slight_smile:

The SDD is no different than most radical technological shifts, it will be a while until this drive becomes standard equipment, primarily due to their vastly improved technology and reliability, no more moving parts to state the most obvious. And don’t worry about the price because the manufactures will be able to junk their repair facilities and save a fortune. When the drive breaks, no problem. The manufacturers will drop a new one in the mail to you. What else are they going to do, disassemble the drams and run them against Memtest? No way, they will just sell them off to a aftermarket repair facility, at a pretty penny, who will check them, fix them and then sell them off as refurbs on eBay or your other favorite reseller. Of course I am not suggesting that you go get one or more at this price. Historically, the price of a standard sized drive will have its price reduced in at a negative geometric cost structure, or the drive’s size will increase dramatically, however, it’s cost structure will follow at a deeply discounted cost per Meg. My projection, these drives will reach a market dictated size and the price will yield a linear relationship quite favorable to the purchaser. Unfortunately, the market for the smaller SSDs will become increasingly narrow. But do not make a decision based upon the analysis here, give yourself some time and then bite when you feel what is offered meets the price you want to pay. But without a doubt, the competition amoung the suppliers of these drives will be incredible as you and I may be building these in our respective homes. But doubt not, these will be in your machines soon enough and you will be damn happy to have them. DRH.

I suspect the OCZ Colossus is just the start of some very large capacity SSD. With the new 34nm NAND chips available capacities will rise and prices should fall.

The problem with SSD though is. Unlike an HDD, adding capacity, to let’s say double the size, more or less doubles the price, as the price of SSD is directly linked to the cost of expensive NAND. Whereas, to add capacity to an HDD, you simply add another cheap to produce platter, and heads.