OCZ files for bankruptcy, receives offer from Toshiba

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: OCZ files for bankruptcy, receives offer from Toshiba[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2011/03/ocz2.png[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/ocz-files-for-bankruptcy-receives-offer-from-toshiba-69697/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Best wishes and great hopes.

Toshibas SSDs are not bad, but they offer no manufacturer-warranty like almost all others, even OCZ

Hope this changes now.

Toshiba-NAND is great, OCZs newer Indilinx-controllers also look good. A combination of these things could maybe lead to good products

Toshiba makes a new Q Series pro SSD that’s excellent, and very fast.

Only know the Non-Pro Q-series.

It´s very fast at writing, but this strange behaviour if writing much data contiguously gives me a bad feeling

OCZ going out of business is really bad news. They were the pioneers of consumer SSDs. At least a combination of OCZ’s controllers and Toshiba’s flash and big pockets would make a real heavyweight that could rival Samsung.

Hope their warranty commitments are maintained. I’ve had two ssd’s swapped in the last month!

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2711047]Only know the Non-Pro Q-series.

It´s very fast at writing, but this strange behaviour if writing much data contiguously gives me a bad feeling[/QUOTE]

I have had no problems with writing files at least 10gbs in size at all, fast as heck, but then again I have the Pro Series, it was 99.99 more than the reg 'Q" series but I think its worth it, I believe it has Toshiba Toggle nand 20nm. Still not sure what controller it has, I read that it had a Marvell/Toshiba controller but that’s all I know.;):wink:

[QUOTE=YogiBoar;2711081]Hope their warranty commitments are maintained. I’ve had two ssd’s swapped in the last month![/QUOTE]
That’s not going to happen. There’s nothing in it for Toshiba. They want the Indilinx IP, not OCZ’s tarnished reputation. Your experience illustrates OCZ’s problem. Poor quality which seemed to be caused by their willingness to sacrifice everything else for impressive looking benchmarks.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2711091]That’s not going to happen. There’s nothing in it for Toshiba. They want the Indilinx IP, not OCZ’s tarnished reputation. Your experience illustrates OCZ’s problem. Poor quality which seemed to be caused by their willingness to sacrifice everything else for impressive looking benchmarks.[/QUOTE]

If I may add my two cents here, its been quite awhile that OCZ has released an SSD that was tarnished in any way. You have to go all the ways back to the Vertex 3 to find a problematic SSD, with the advent of the Vertex 4 and 1.50 firmware the SSDs have been spectacular. I have 2 Vectors and a Vertex 4.50, all are problem free and I wouldn’t sell them for anything. ( at least more than what I paid). LOL.:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2711093]If I may add my two cents here, its been quite awhile that OCZ has released an SSD that was tarnished in any way. You have to go all the ways back to the Vertex 3 to find a problematic SSD, with the advent of the Vertex 4 and 1.50 firmware the SSDs have been spectacular. I have 2 Vectors and a Vertex 4.50, all are problem free and I wouldn’t sell them for anything. ( at least more than what I paid). LOL.;)[/QUOTE]
That may be, but they made their bed and burned a lot of early adopters. It’s hard to overcome that sort of negative momentum.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2711094]That may be, but they made their bed and burned a lot of early adopters. It’s hard to overcome that sort of negative momentum.[/QUOTE]

Since the advent of SSDs in Consumer Computers, and I was an early adopter, my first was the SATA2, Vertex 2 , 120gb. I never had a problem with either one of the 2, I bought, I must have had at least 30 different OCZ SSDs, and I only had I issue and they replaced it with a newer model asap. You do not hear about the happy people that love their SSDs, you only hear about the ones that gripe and post about their problems. I personally believe that 80% of all the problems with OCZ SSDs are consumer related issues, they were either too lazy to do a fresh reformat or didn’t know how to use Acronis to do a clone. Just my humble opinion.:slight_smile:

I just got some inside information on this which is interesting, post coming up!

If OCZ are bust how are the others? Crucial? Corsair? I will probably go with Samsung for my next SSD due to the uncertainty.

The last trade for OCZ today was at .11 cents a share, bankrupt, t5he spread between the buy price and the sell price is .11 to buy and .000 to sell. So there are no sellers or buyers

Quite so, Alan, as the introduction of the OP link states as well.

The bank have acquired control over OCZ’s checking accounts, whilst Toshiba has the assets. Still, there is some chance that some things may be preserved, like stated in this excerpt (Official OCZ statement):

“The agreement is subject to various conditions: the preservation of the value of the business, including the retention of employees, the negotiation and execution of definitive documentation, the filing of bankruptcy petitions by the Company and certain of its subsidiaries, Toshiba’s offer being accepted by the bankruptcy court as the highest and best offer under the circumstances after an auction process conducted under the relevant provisions of the United States Bankruptcy Code, and other customary closing conditions.”

The excerpt is from the second link in the news article linked to from the OP.

Regards,

[QUOTE=alan1476;2711101]I personally believe that 80% of all the problems…[/QUOTE]

That needs not to be your personal belief. That’s proven millions of times. Most of the returned products are fine and are as good as unreturned ones. I think the number’s closer to 99% than to 80% for SSDs.

The problem here is that that’s true of just any of the millions of manufacturers of the world.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2711458]That needs not to be your personal belief. That’s proven millions of times. Most of the returned products are fine and are as good as unreturned ones. I think the number’s closer to 99% than to 80% for SSDs.

The problem here is that that’s true of just any of the millions of manufacturers of the world.[/QUOTE]

I am glad someone agrees with me, I said that on one manufacturers forum and I was almost beat up on the internet. LOL.:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2711470]I am glad someone agrees with me, I said that on one manufacturers forum and I was almost beat up on the internet. LOL.:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Well, unhappy consumers can become quite angry with anyone who does not agree with them and unrestrained anger often seems to develop into physical violence.

I didn’t stay long working for a LiteOn importer, but I saw most of the tested CD and DVD drives worked with no problem. 100% of those working at various service centers of Samsung, LG, Asus, Gigabyte, etc. I talked to said the same.

OCZ don´t have this bad reputation for nothing.

If someone think OCZ had only the stupidest user on this planet and all only return good working products -> OK, everybody have the right for his own opinion

If you say it´s generally, every brand get mostly working products back, then I would ask: Why no other brand have such amount of returns?