OCZ announces JetExpress SSD controller and Vector 180 Series SSDs

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: OCZ announces JetExpress SSD controller and Vector 180 Series SSDs[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/01/myce-ocz-storage-solutions-logo-95x60.png[/newsimage]

OCZ today announced the JetExpress SSD controller and new Vector 180 series SSDs.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/ocz-announces-jetexpress-ssd-controller-and-vector-180-series-ssds-74120/](http://www.myce.com/news/ocz-announces-jetexpress-ssd-controller-and-vector-180-series-ssds-74120/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

2.5 in form factor with PCI-E speeds is awesome, I don’t think anyone has even mentioned having that capability yet. Kudos to OCZ.

According to some reports I have been reading about JetExpress, it may have as many as 7 cores in the SSD controller, and the PCIe/NVMe version will be PCIe gen 3 x4, which translates to 4GB/s of bandwidth.

The enterprise version is expected in Q2 2015, with the consumer version being available in H2 2015. The consumer version is very likely to launch around the same time as the Intel Skylake CPU, and the Z170 chipset, which will natively support PCIe gen 3 from the PCH, and will also properly support (natively) NVMe. Native NVMe support will also require Windows 8.1 or higher.

Interestingly, Skylake and the Z170 chipset will support 16 gen 3 PCIe lanes from the CPU for graphics, plus 20 PCIe gen 3 lanes from the PCH.
If this turns out to become a reality, the Skylake consumer platform is going to be very attractive to us storage freaks. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dee;2745068]According to some reports I have been reading about JetExpress, it may have as many as 7 cores in the SSD controller, and the PCIe/NVMe version will be PCIe gen 3 x4, which translates to 4GB/s of bandwidth.

The enterprise version is expected in Q2 2015, with the consumer version being available in H2 2015. The consumer version is very likely to launch around the same time as the Intel Skylake CPU, and the Z170 chipset, which will natively support PCIe gen 3 from the PCH, and will also properly support (natively) NVMe. Native NVMe support will also require Windows 8.1 or higher.

Interestingly, Skylake and the Z170 chipset will support 16 gen 3 PCIe lanes from the CPU for graphics, plus 20 PCIe gen 3 lanes from the PCH.
If this turns out to become a reality, the Skylake consumer platform is going to be very attractive to us storage freaks. :)[/QUOTE]
Hi Wendy:
From this picture it looks as if Skylake will run on a Z97 platform, LGA1150

Hi Alan.
Unfortunately Skylake will require a new socket, LGA1151.

Haswell, and the forthcoming Broadwell are LGA1150.

I’ll be skipping Broadwell, and will wait for Skylake.

[QUOTE=Dee;2745072]Hi Alan.
Unfortunately Skylake will require a new socket, LGA1151.

Haswell, and the forthcoming Broadwell are LGA1150.

I’ll be skipping Broadwell, and will wait for Skylake.[/QUOTE] Well, since I started building computers, ( with your help, I think it was the Q9550 or before I have always followed in your footprints and never have gone wrong, so I’ll skip Broadwell also. :flower: