OCZ Agility 4 - 256GB SSD review

vbimport

I just posted the article OCZ Agility 4 - 256GB SSD review.

In the second of my series of reviews on budget SSDs, I was lucky enough to get hold of OCZ Technologies latest mainstream SSD, the OCZ Agility 4.

Can this budget priced SSD compete with the big guns?
Let’s find out in this review

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/ocz-agility-4-256gb-ssd-review-63436/](http://www.myce.com/review/ocz-agility-4-256gb-ssd-review-63436/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Thanks for the review. It was more than extensive.

Three points.

1. Sequential reading and writing speeds among nearly identical generations of SSD drives based on NAND and SATA 3 rarely vary and it means little to most end users whether it takes 100 seconds or 200 seconds to copy 50GB from SSD C: drive to SSD D: drive even when they do - especially with drives like Samsung 830 64GB and 128GB. It looks good on advertisements and reviews to announce 550MB/s speeds, but the 160MB/s write speed of the 830 64GB is not necessarily a weakness.

2. The time to start and end Windows OS, the time to install Windows OS and Office applications, the time to launch Office and Adobe applications, such times also vary little. The first-generation and second-generation SSD drives released a few years ago were already good at reducing Windows installation and booting times by half or more. Since quite a lot of the operations behind the installations and booting are not SSD-intensive, sometimes the tests show only small differences even against conventional HDD’s.

3. I noticed there is now “Speed degradation after heavy use” section. The drive has 256GB NAND space and 3.66 terabyte space is only less than 15x of the drive’s total space. Modern NAND is supposed to last 10,000 or 100,000 write times, or millions of hours of so-called “MTBF” time. The result is 299 / 455 / 921 for 8/8/2012 vs 296 / 403 / 856 for 18/8/2012. That’s too much for a 256GB drive undergoing 3.66TB writing. Even the 4K-64Thrd test shows the writing speed has fallen from 290.60MB/s to 286.14MB/s. That’s more than 1% degradation. It doesn’t seem normal.

Thanks for the comments, Kenny.

Point 1
It depends on what the PC is being used for regarding sequential performance. For an OS, it doesn’t matter much, but for something like video editing, then sequential performance does matter.

Point 3
The “speed degradation after heavy use” tests is not testing NAND write cycles. At 3.66TB, the NAND life still remains at 100%.
The test is seeing how effective the SSDs garbage collection is working.
The Agility 4 has asynchronous MLC NAND. MLC NAND once it has been written to once needs to be read/modified before it can be written to again.

Asynchronous NAND can only do one transaction per cycle, whereas Synchronous NAND can do two transactions per cycle.

What the test does show is. sync NAND SSDs such as the Vertex 4 can clean the NAND faster than the Agility 4 which has async NAND, hwen both SSDs use the same SSD controller.

So Deezy, what are your 3 favorite SSD’s?
Many people choose to ignore the mighty performance of the OCZ Vertex 4 because of OCZ’s past history with BSOD issues, albeit when they were using Sandforce controllers. I regularly see people rank SSD’s like this -

1. Crucial m4
  2. Samsung 830 series
  3. Intel 520 series.

My favourite SSDs are always going to be the fastest and most stable ones, regardless of who makes them.

I’ve never had a review SSD that wasn’t stable, and its easy to see from the results which are the faster ones.

Things are still moving forward in regards to SSD technology. I have an SSD in my procession with a brand new controller which looks to be very fast. Later this year we should see the new Indilinx BareFoot 3, and early next year we should see the SandForce SF-3xxx. So I expect my favourite SSDs will change throughout the coming months.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2653008]So Deezy, what are your 3 favorite SSD’s?
Many people choose to ignore the mighty performance of the OCZ Vertex 4 because of OCZ’s past history with BSOD issues, albeit when they were using Sandforce controllers. I regularly see people rank SSD’s like this -

1. Crucial m4
  2. Samsung 830 series
  3. Intel 520 series.[/QUOTE]

Did you say " Deezy". :bigsmile: Anyway Wendys review was spot on, like the rest of her work. Can’t wait for the Corsair review.:flower: