OCZ adds a 1TB model to its Octane SSD series

vbimport

OCZ adds a 1TB model to its Octane SSD series.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/[/newsimage]OCZ has expanded its Octane series with a 1TB model, the OCT1-25SAT3-1T. The 1TB model features up to 460MB/s read and 330MB/s write and up to 24K IOPS read and 32K IOPS write.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/ocz-adds-a-1tb-model-to-its-octane-ssd-series-61444/](http://www.myce.com/news/ocz-adds-a-1tb-model-to-its-octane-ssd-series-61444/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

In 2 years, HDD’s will be dead …

I’d bet they won’t

It’s all about cost. How much is a 2TB HDD drive now and how much will a 1TB SSD cost.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2632775]I’d bet they won’t[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=mrloren;2632829]It’s all about cost. How much is a 2TB HDD drive now and how much will a 1TB SSD cost.[/QUOTE]
The costs are excessive atm, but as the technology reaches mainstream, the costs will plummet.

At this point, it’s still only tech nerds which have SSD’s, the average joe on the street is still comparing capacities, and don’t understand what an SSD is anyway.

In 2 years, SSD’s will have caught up to HDD’s in capacity, far surpassed them in speed … and people will be wondering why on earth a set of mechanical spinning platters makes sense.

At the capacities that HDD’s (and soon SSDs) have reached, most people will be more than satisfied … the vast majority of people wouldn’t use the full capacity of a 128GB SSD … when a 512GB SSD is in the affordable range (2years) … it won’t make sense to install >1TB HDD’s for the vast majority of the population.

Additionally, with the advent of digital streaming, increasing network bandwidths, online storage … there won’t be the huge demand for local storage.

Maybe 2 years is optimistic for the complete oblivion of HDD’s, but now we’re in mid-swing of the SSD revolution, and in 2 years the average joe will really be evaluating whether they really need a big slow mechanical HDD or a smaller, but still large super-fast SSD for the same price.

I know that I’ve just been waiting for SSD’s to mature before I have them in all our office machines … if it’s wasn’t for the bad experiences with 3 of 3 SSD’s (OCZ/G-Skill) dying within 3 months of installation … everything here would be SSD … except maybe the raided file server which keeps all the files.

The consumer has every right to be skeptical because we’ve heard this saying that SSD capacity will one day ramp up and become mainstream giving hard drive makers a run for their money… but that hasn’t happened by a long shot yet…

Our realty still has SSD “DRIVES” still at an 8 - 10 year disadvantage in price per capacity GB value in capcacities above 256gb (what would even be considered moderately useful for a desktop or laptop pc). Few people are going to leverage a bunch of cheap 32gb flash cards and build their own 1 or 2tb drive arrays from that…

I have been looking at these drives for over a year. I need or want at least a 128GB drive. The problem is cost vs performance. I have a 320gb drive I use for my OS and it works very well.

Highly unlikely since SSDs have limited writes–no way hdds will simply die out…no way can you run an enterprise level server on an ssd.

[QUOTE=debro;2632773]In 2 years, HDD’s will be dead …[/QUOTE]
2014 will have low cost 10+TB HDD… and possible 2TB SSD “for masses(?)”, who’s we can afford to pay, after deep reflection and after dig into the bank account.

Few thousand or tens of thousands dollars prices of biggest and fastest models of"industrial" SSDs come enough to exit out of every comments.

[QUOTE=debro;2632773]In 2 years, HDD’s will be dead …[/QUOTE]

I doubt that and remember not everyone can afford SSD. HDD will still be for the masses for years to come and not til the price per megabyte on HDD can be replicated on SSD will they become more wide spread used and bought. Then I can say HDD time has come and gone for a useful product that had a long distinguished career for the masses.

[QUOTE=CharmedonWB;2632869]Highly unlikely since SSDs have limited writes–no way hdds will simply die out…no way can you run an enterprise level server on an ssd.[/QUOTE]

Not that but can you image the cost of 1,000 SSD in servers even if you got discount.

I agree with most people here. There is no way SSDs will replace HDDs in the next two years. Cost/gigabyte alone will prevent that from happening, and even though, as Debro says, most people can get by with a 128 GB drive, people like to tell their friends they have a 1 TB, 2 TB, 3 TB, or whatever bigger-the-better size HDD. [I have a Samsung Slate tablet with a 128 GB SSD loaded with Windows 7 Professional, Office 2007 Professional, Visio 2007 Professional, Windows Live, Adobe Digital Editions and Reader, Symantec Endpoint Protection (antivirus), Blackberry Desktop Manager, Microsoft Security Essentials, Winzip, WinRAR, IOBit Advanced System Care, a ton of other miscellaneous programs, all my work files, a second tablet-style user interface with all it’s tablet style apps, and a bunch of ebooks, and it’s only half full.] Lastly, speed is supposed to be a key selling point for SSDs. But once the computer has booted into Windows and the user is actually doing work, I challenge anyone to honestly say they can tell the difference. (Unless if they’re dealing with very large files most of the time, they might see a bit of a difference.)

You can buy a 256 Crucial for 239.00 on Amazon, the prices have been cut in half.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2632920]You can buy a 256 Crucial for 239.00 on Amazon, the prices have been cut in half.[/QUOTE]For $119.00 you can buy a Western Digital Scorpio Black 750 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, or for $155.00 you can go for a Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB 7200 RPM Solid State Hybrid Drive. And these were both right on the first page of 2.5" internal hard drives at Amazon. If I really searched, I could probably find cheaper drives. I think SSDs have a ways to go before they’ll be an attractive alternative for the masses.

[QUOTE=mrloren;2632857]I have been looking at these drives for over a year. I need or want at least a 128GB drive. The problem is cost vs performance. I have a 320gb drive I use for my OS and it works very well.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should think about something like a 128GB Crucual M4 SSD. You can get these for around the $130 mark.

[QUOTE=CharmedonWB;2632869]Highly unlikely since SSDs have limited writes–no way hdds will simply die out…no way can you run an enterprise level server on an ssd.[/QUOTE]

There are enterprise grade SSD’s available. I haven’t tried any myself but others have and they say they work well. Right now, I’ll stick to SAS drives for the heavy duty stuff.