OC's (review) computers

vbimport

For those wanting to se my review computer…

The following only counts for 20.3.2004 - as my computer and especially optical drives in it changes constantly.

That is how it looks, should be black/blue but it’s black/purple. I do still not have enough space for optical drives so I put some on top of it in firewire/usb2 enclosures. :stuck_out_tongue:

rdgrimes asked what I use the drives for, so here you go:

Also marked what drives I’ve bought myself, the others is review samples.

on top of the case in enclosures:
Toshiba SD-M1612: hacked and allows reading of DVDR/RW media at 16x speed, so far no discs have been read without drops in speed. Use it as a torture test to see how good the readability of a written DVDR/RW disc is. Most discs have huge bumps and slowdowns, but a few disc types written with a few selected writers only have a slight drop in speed at the very end of the disc. bought by me
LG GSA-4040B: The only drive I have that is able to write DVD-RAM, and that’s basically what I use it for. Creating DVD-RAM discs for testing purposes. bought by me
Mediagear (BTC DRW-1004IM): It have some nice media bays in the front :slight_smile: I transfer the images from the SD card used in my HP Photosmart 850 camera with this unit - not much use beside that.
And finally a removable harddrive bay - sometimes I need some data from old harddrives I’ve laying around…

Inside case, from top:
BTC DRW1008IM: Under review now
NU DDW-081/82: Just reviewed, waiting to be shipped back to NU Europe :sad: Very nice for writing DVD+R at 8x, especially ricohjpnr01.
NEC ND-2500A: Nice DVD-Writer for both DVD-R and DVD+R, my favourite for dirt cheap DVD-R discs like princo and Lead data bought by me
Lite-On LDW-411S. My K-Probe PI/PO measurement drive. bought by me
Memorex dual-X1 (Pioneer DVR-106D): It’s just sitting there :stuck_out_tongue: I use it mainly to write my princo 1x discs(bought 200 dirt cheap at sale) at 2x (using hacked firmware) with superb quality ( PI avg below 10 and PO below 0.x).
Pioneer DVR-107D: Just sitting there at the moment - don’t use it much as I wasn’t very satisfied with it (could be just my sample though). Best writer for writing Verbatim/mitsubishi 8x DVD+R though.
Lite-On LTR-52246S: My C1/C2 K-Probe scanner. bought by me
Plextor PX-708A: Just because it’s plextor… Use it for reference only. I do not use it much really as I do not like it that much - It’s not particulary good at anything actually. Plextools is still nice though bought by me
Lite-On LDW-811S: Good allrounder, nice CD-Writing quality. Not as bad as some is whining it is…
JLMS XJ-HD165H. Using it to make the transfer graphs for my reviews. bought by me

Emergency floppydrive :wink: It’s in there if I need it, had to connect it to get the raid drivers loaded when installing xp. I plan to mod the case a bit with more 3.5" bays in the bottom - I’ll place them so that the 12x12cm fan in the front cools them down.

And there is the 3.5" bays I’ve added at the top - holds 4 harddrives with some air between each. Gets cooled by the 12x12cm fan behind them blowing the hot air out of the case.

Yes I know it’s messy in there, and it doesn’t matter for me. Earlier I tried to tie up cables etc but I change my computer stuff nearly weekly so that is to much hassle to do every time.

And thanks to the 12x12cm fans and the 9,2x9,2cm CPU fan it’s also less noisy compared to before, the noisiest things in there now is my harddrives and the radeon 9800 PRO fan (Still not quiet like my laptop tough).

Specs/setup:

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP i875P.
Intel IDE controller:
PM: Optical drive - often a drive under review/just finished.
PS: Optical drive - often a drive under review/just finished.
SM: Optical drive - often a drive under review/just finished.
SS: Lite-On LDW-411S for K-Probe
Intel S-ATA: 2 x 160Gb in RAID 0 for speed - containing the operating system. (Risky - but I try to backup often).
Silicon Image S-ATA: 2 x 250Gb WD 2500PD S-ATA for storage.
ITE IDE controller:
PM: Hitachi 250Gb
PS: Seagate 200Gb
SM: Optical drive
SS: Optical drive

Add on card IDE controller (Silicon Image CMD-649):
PM: Lite-On LTR-52246S
PS: Plextor PX-708A
SM: JLMS XJ-HD165H
SS: Optical drive

Those named “Optical drive” Changes often.

The horse (CPU) running this is a P4C 2.8GHz
Memory is 2 x 512Mb Xerox PC3500
Video card is Radeon 9800 PRO
Sound is SB Audigy 2
and a :Z dialup modem :Z

My monitor is a Samtron(Samsung) 17" LCD
Some cheap ass JAZZ 2.1 speakers (will upgrade to creative 7.1 system sometime…)
a Packard Bell scanner and a Canon BJC-6100 printer.

That’s about it. And my laptop:

Whitebox CL50 (www.compal.com is the manufacurer of the base unit):
1.5GHz Pentium M
512Mb PC266
60Gb 5400rpm HDD
ATI Radeon mobile 9000
QSI SBW-242 CD-Writer/DVD reader combo.
wireless NIC
100Mbit NIC
Modem
15.1" LCD
etc

That’s about it…

Jeeeeez, sorry I asked. :o :stuck_out_tongue:

So how’s it working to have all that stuff on the PCI bus? Any CPU usage problems?

It’s working out quite nice so far.

Not had any transfer issues ans conflicts that I’ve noticed.

Wow.

drool

:bow: :bow: :bow:

What you should do is:

Invite all your mates round (or an octopus) and get them to press the open button on each drive at the same time and see which drive wins!!!

You could have bets :bigsmile:

Best part about that tower is that OC can hitch it to the back of his car and tow it around with him. The picture doesn’t show the trailer lights on the back of the case.

LOL this is just so insane… I wonder where you found that case. After I did some research on the net I figured that the only way to fit everything in a case, I had to throw out my SCSI setup… (just have 4 opticals in my main system right now).

Anyhow… you should do something about the messy cables :smiley:

What does it sound like when you insert discs in all drives and make them euh do something at a high speed? :o

What does it sound like when you insert discs in all drives and make them euh do something at a high speed?

I bet the case starts walking across the room, with a slight twist to the left. :bigsmile:

Originally posted by OC-Freak
Emergency floppydrive :wink: It’s in there if I need it, had to connect it to get the raid drivers loaded when installing xp.

I’ve been curious why the “next generation” OS is so reliant on obsolete technology to even use it.
Wouldn’t ya think that it’d be a good idea to search a cdrom or flash disk or USB device for the drivers?

M$ are a bunch of idiots when it comes to the OS installation :stuck_out_tongue:

Damn, I hate the fact that it’s Monday :frowning:

nice PC :bigsmile:

but what Power Supply do you use?

because when the drives spin up, they need much energy :eek:

I’ve been using a fortron source 400Watt which is more than enough.

But right now I’m using an enermax 460Watt. Quality is more important than wattage…

My whole computer stuff:

17" LCD monitor
printer
scanner
speaker & sub
PC with 8 x 7200rpm harddrives and 8 optical drives

• 4 usb/firewire enclosures

Only drains around 185-200 Watt all together! The highest peak I had was 235 Watt while measuring (when the harddrives and CD’s inside the optical units spun up when swithing my computer on).

So nope - you don’t need the fattest of the fattest powersupplies in my opinion.

I had an antec PSU a while back but I did not like it at all so I sold it again.

You will need a higher rated PSU when you initially turn the PC on. Motors draw upto (but not limited to) 10x their rated current when they start. Even though you only use 200W when operational, when you initially start it may easily draw 400W.
But decent PSU’s can handle overload for short periods of time regardless.
Cheap PSU’s often spread capacitor juice everywhere when overloaded, even for an instant.

Can I ask why you didn’t like the antec power supply?

They seem to be in abundance over here, and up until now I’ve been using a generic 450W PSU that came with the case.

The Fan in the PSU sounds like it’s starting to go, and the exhaust smells a tad off, so time to replace methinks before it goes “Pop” in a cloud of white disgusting smoke.

I’m not paying exorbitant prices for a generic PSU, so I’ll be paying and exorbitant price for a decent quality PSU :slight_smile:

What does everyone recommend, and why?

The fan on my athy makes too much noise. Id’ prefer not to add to it :stuck_out_tongue:

Quiet is good :slight_smile:
400W min :slight_smile:

Replace the fan in the power supply (that what I would do). Just make sure you read up on it first so you don’t kill yourself zap :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Ssseth
Replace the fan in the power supply (that what I would do). Just make sure you read up on it first so you don’t kill yourself zap :stuck_out_tongue:

Hehehe.
Unplug + Earth capcitors.

Not that hard. :wink:

Even for an old fart like me :stuck_out_tongue:

I hesitate to change a fan in a PSU that is 2yrs old, and is a generic brand anyway :wink:

Money would be better spent toward a PSU that is good quality, quieter/etc :slight_smile:

Debro: As I already wrote: There was a peak of 235Watt when the computer was turned on.

The antec 550Watt TrueControl that I had was:

1: VERY expensive (Waaaaay overpriced)
2: Would not work without the truecontrol unit - so I had to use it if I wanted or not.
3: It wasn’t that quiet.
4: most important - it interfered with my TV. Made picture distortions…

In my opinion Enermax is the best powersupplies tightly followed by fortron source, I also like flowerpower (sold as a lot other brands as well).

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Debro: As I already wrote: There was a peak of 235Watt when the computer was turned on.

The antec 550Watt TrueControl that I had was:

1: VERY expensive (Waaaaay overpriced)
2: Would not work without the truecontrol unit - so I had to use it if I wanted or not.
3: It wasn’t that quiet.
4: most important - it interfered with my TV. Made picture distortions…

In my opinion Enermax is the best powersupplies tightly followed by fortron source, I also like flowerpower (sold as a lot other brands as well). [/B]

Apologies, I shouldn’t scan posts at work :wink:

It’s interesting that the power supply was causing High frequency interference like that. I’d suggest that they probably haven’t really done much over other power supplies, other than switch at higher frequencies than other PSU’s. And then failing to filter the input source (but filtering on the output side, being the PC).

It’s tragic that so many devices do that. PQ is going down fast.

I wouldn’t expect that from a “good” quality PSU.

Originally posted by debro
[B]Hehehe.
Unplug + Earth capcitors.

Not that hard. :wink:

Even for an old fart like me :stuck_out_tongue:

I hesitate to change a fan in a PSU that is 2yrs old, and is a generic brand anyway :wink:

Money would be better spent toward a PSU that is good quality, quieter/etc :slight_smile: [/B]

You could replace the fan for $5.
Why buy something new when your old cheapo power supply has done you fine for 2 years? Obviously there is nothing wrong with it :smiley:

COOL! Can i get that in a laptop??

OC-Freak do you have any trouble with Record-Now-DLX?

My copy (which came with Liteon’s Sonic DVD) won’t properly detect all of my optical writers. sseth can you help?

For that matter, does windows correctly detect all of the optical drives? What happens when we get up to drive Z: ?