OC'd 40125S to 48125W.. now what

I successfully OC’d my 40125S to 48125W using the VS02 firmware. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to upgrade the firmware to the newest 48125W’s. I heard VS04 degraded performance by a bit, but there’s been a lot more versions released since then, will any of these improve the drive’s speed or abilities?

Yes overall writespeed dropped a bit with firmware later than VS02, but hardly noticeable. But it’s still worth upgrading to the latest version because of write quality and media compatibility improvements.

but latest is VS0D, right ?

Codek,

Just curious. I have a 40125S but have not o’clocked. Have you burned anything yet with success? And, if so, have you seen 48x write speed?

With appropriate media, it will allow 48X speed.

Yes it will nero will burn at 48x with the imation 40x discs I currently have. I don’t know what the actual write speed is. The drive does finish discs 10-20 seconds faster than before, so the average speed is higher.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
But it’s still worth upgrading to the latest version because of write quality and media compatibility improvements.

I’ve noticed an improvement in burn quality at all speeds but like thibouille says “With appropriate media, it will allow 48X speed.” its all down to the media you chose for sure.

*Note even though you may get some dodgy burns with perhaps the best media out there at 48X as I recently encountered with some TY’s. See HERE. Just burn at 24X & below and you should have success. My point is…not all bad burns are a result of bad media as rdgrimes explained to me but a culmanation of different elements.

I’ve had great success with Raitek CDR’s at 48X burning and Prodiscs apart from those labeled as Memorex.

Have fun burning at 48X. :smiley:

Originally posted by demody

Have you burned anything yet with success?

And, if so, have you seen 48x write speed?
Lots of stuff, but it’s a history now. New times - new drivers. :wink:

Even higher than that when overburning.