OC-Freak is Plextor 708a.........?

Now that I got yer attention, OC Freak, since All the other brands of burners have come out with 8X speed do you still think the Plextor PX-708A is still the best dvd burner or would you like to wait til you do more reviews of 8X dvd burners to answer that question, & if you had to do it all over again having own one, & did some real world test would you still give it the high marks you gave in the review???

And … oh ya that pic of you, I didn’t know u wore glasses. lol

@jaydee123

Off Topic:

Uhm… be careful with the spelling… maybe you meant “wore”, didn’t you?

LOL :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Regards,

ET

Originally posted by jaydee123
you whore glasses

It wasn’t me that reviewed the PX-708A :wink:

All writers I’ve reviewed have their strengths and their weaknesses, so it’s hard to pick a real winner.

But now I’m not sure if I would have given it the Editors Choice award, but at the time of the review it was correct to give it the editors choice award.

Personally I would probably picked a NEC ND-2500A writer now, since it’s good and cheap here in Norway.

I’ve 3 more 8x writers in the review queue here so wait for those and see :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply, do you, or cdfreaks.com plan on doing a redo of the review on the Plextor once all players are on the ball field (so to speak) as it would be nice to see who the top dog is.
I would agree though that, ALL DRIVES have there strong & weak points. ET: as for my spelling, didn’t you see I have a built in spell checker & I didn’t even know I had it, at first I spelled it correctly but at the last minute I change it cuz I didn’t think it was right, I don’t use the word that much, ( I’ve gotten older ya know).

Thanks for the reply, do you, or cdfreaks.com plan on doing a redo of the review on the Plextor once all players are on the ball field (so to speak) as it would be nice to see who the top dog is
Although a good suggestion we cannot do this since it would simply take too much time. As OC already mentioned, when the Plextor PX-708A was first released it was the best drive to get and that’s why it received the Editor’s Choice Award. Since then a lot of new drives have been released and it’s up to the user to decide which aspects he/she finds most important.

G@M3FR3@K , the reason I ask is that there are some test that where done on the Lite-on 811 for instance that wasn’t done for the Plextor, like the newest copy protection in games that wasn’t probably available to Dennis when he made that review. So perhaps maybe a small update would be in order. In that way the user would have a more of a up to date info to make up their mind on which one to buy. My thought are that all burners should go through the Exact same tests. Perhaps when all the 8x drives have been reviewed, then maybe a update would be in order???
Remember your moto, “Knowledge is Power”. But tests should be equal & up to date. Sorry for my redundancy in my message.
These are only my opinions & are not nessessary, the same of CDfreaks.com.

There is a review on the NEC 2500A. Looks like if you buy cheap you get cheap.

Low CD error correction ability
Cannot read or rip 99min Audio CD’s
Mount Rainier is not supported
Failure with Abex TDV-541 test disc
Low DAE speed
Cannot create working backups with SafeDisc protected games over v2.60

http://www.cdr-info.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=Nec+ND-2500A&Series=0

[B]G@M3FR3@K , the reason I ask is that there are some test that where done on the Lite-on 811 for instance that wasn’t done for the Plextor, like the newest copy protection in games that wasn’t probably available to Dennis when he made that review. So perhaps maybe a small update would be in order. In that way the user would have a more of a up to date info to make up their mind on which one to buy.

Remember your moto, “Knowledge is Power”. But tests should be equal & up to date. Sorry for my redundancy in my message.
These are only my opinions & are not nessessary, the same of CDfreaks.com. [/B]
You of course have a point but the problem is, is that we have different reviewers. At the moment OC-Freak and me (I’m Dennis btw, I made the Plextor PX-708A review ;)) are the only reviewers but since we both have other things to do besides reviewing there simply isn’t enough time. Knowledge is Power is totally true and that’s why, after every review, the drive can be discussed on Club CD Freaks. For instance regarding the 708A’s performance with copy protected discs, there are loads of reports in this Plextor forum that answers any question you might have. Agreed, you need to do some searching but the information is there.

My thought are that all burners should go through the Exact same tests. Perhaps when all the 8x drives have been reviewed, then maybe a update would be in order???
Yes but when do we draw the line? There will always be new burners, new software versions, new protections, new techniques, etc. It would be an impossible task to update every review every time a new protection arrives. That’s why the forums are so great because members can contribute so not only the reviewers have to do everything themselves.

I hope you understand!

GameFreak, of course I understand your point, it’s just that your word stands for so much & is concidered gospel. Yepper, yer God of the reviews, don’t ya see the halo over yer head???lol. Its just that I can see nowhere on the net about the Plextor being able to backup safedisc 3.10 & up & other updated protections. Of course I may be blind in one eye & can’t see out the other. I concider this closed unless you open it up for discussion again, & I thank you for the reply.

FYI, the Plextor PX-708A is not a “two sheep” burner, so it does not do very well with many of the various copy protected discs. I can’t speak for safedisc 3.10, but the Alcohol forum might be better for that discussion.l

Vette XP, you say that the Plextor Px-708A is NOT a 2 Sheep burner, in what fact do you base this on. All info I have gathered about this burner says it is. Please provide proof of your post. One of us is just gotta be wrong & I hope it’s u.

Originally posted by bob11879
Mount Rainier is not supported

The only aspect of Mount Rainier the 708a supports is background formatting.

The Plextor PX-708A can copy SafeDisc 2 up to version 2.80.010. I’ve tested this with C&C Generals, back-ups work in every drive. However newer SafeDisc versions are hit and miss. I haven’t tested this myself but there is some info on this in this thread. Note that at the time of testing this Plextor the latest SafeDisc 2 version was 2.80.010 I believe and since the drive could copy this, it was believed to be a so-called two sheep recorder.`