Obama administration talks copyright reform, slams piracy

vbimport

Obama administration talks copyright reform, slams piracy.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/09/K3sy4L.jpg[/newsimage]Gary Locke, the current United States Commerce Secretary, met with artists and representatives from the music industry in Nashville, TN this week to address issues the country’s “Music City” has experienced as a result of declining recoded music sales, and touched on some of the government’s current plans for copyright law reform.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/obama-administration-talks-copyright-reform-slams-piracy-33882/](http://www.myce.com/news/obama-administration-talks-copyright-reform-slams-piracy-33882/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

ugh. I don’t think its all Piracy. Most modern artists can’t sell out Arenas anymore (theres the odd one, but most are older established bands). If you’re noticed a trend where people aren’t watching the bands either, what makes you think they’re even downloading the cd’s.

Also how come they never consider whether music should be a protected copyright, or if its better for the social good to share the music?

[QUOTE=Zod;2541832]
Also how come they never consider whether music should be a protected copyright, or if its better for the social good to share the music?[/QUOTE]

That’s an excellent point, and one we touched on a while back: http://www.myce.com/news/do-copyrights-inhibit-the-spread-of-knowledge-33004/

It’s not all about protecting the artists, like they seem to be making it out to be. While I respect artists (hell, I make my living in a creative way), I also believe that getting too strict about restricting access to works does inhibit the growth of society in a way. How do we strike a good balance?

I truly do hope that a lot of people weigh in when they have the opportunity. It’s something that will affect everyone in civilized nations.

Interesting pattern…

1 week ago: a story about the RIAA whining that the DMCA and US copyright laws are a failure.

Yesterday: Story about how many millions of $$ the RIAA and MPAA etc… are spending lobbying the current government etc…

Today: Story about Obama’s government talking copyright reform

Hmmmmmm…

[QUOTE=ivid;2541864]Interesting pattern…

1 week ago: a story about the RIAA whining that the DMCA and US copyright laws are a failure.

Yesterday: Story about how many millions of $$ the RIAA and MPAA etc… are spending lobbying the current government etc…

Today: Story about Obama’s government talking copyright reform

Hmmmmmm…[/QUOTE]

Exactly . . . :rolleyes::Z

OK Well all know that the administration won’t be the administration in two years, but lets play along.

Now why the hell should a religious broadcast station be legally granted the right to use copyrighted works without payment over anyone else? Does the History Channel, the Science Channel, Discovery or even Rush Limbaugh get a pass simply because they have a perspective? Fuck that! Pretty shitty for the VP to call pirates thieves and then hand religion nuts a free ticket.

Why the hell are churches getting radio station licenses anyway? Do we give other non-profits free licenses to spew their pitch 24/7 on the public airwaves? What happened to the separation of church and state?

Did I see one thing about protecting fair use? Hell No!

Vote them all out and lets get on with life.

I remember a time when music companies used radio stations to get their songs played so people would buy the records. Now they want the same stations to pay for the right to play the music so the people will buy and make them millions, and the artists millions. What kind of sense is that? Keep biting that hand that has fed you well over the years. Maybe the industry needs a good old fashioned boycott. If they sue some teeny bopper thousands for downloading songs, cost them millions in lost sales. Time for the people to regain the power of the radio spectrum that has been a right since it was discovered. They are playing their music over “OUR” airwaves. Maybe we should charge them? Something to think about!!!

Vote them all out and lets get on with life.[/QUOTE]

Vote them out and get what? The same BS we had before or worse?

[QUOTE=Vote them out and get what? The same BS we had before or worse?[/QUOTE]

It already is worse. Where have you been?

[QUOTE=rla;2542698]It already is worse. Where have you been?[/QUOTE]

Amen, Brother. We have jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire.

NOTHING happens in this administration that isn’t a payoff to onions or political donors. Count the count the music and movie industries as part of those groups. Obama is screwing the average Joe far worse than Bush ever did.

Do you REALLY “think” that a Republican administration would get us out of this mess?? They’re the ones who got us into it!

[QUOTE=Kerroj;2542710]Do you REALLY “think” that a Republican administration would get us out of this mess?? They’re the ones who got us into it![/QUOTE]

First order of business is to stop the Democrats from destroying the country. This means throwing them out of office en mass and out of control of Congress in November. The second order of business is to elect people like Rand Paul, Joe Smith, Marco Rubio etc. and start replacing the Republicans that are no better than the Democrats. That is happening this election (although I REALLY wanted McCain to get the boot too). Third order of business is to pay attention to “who does what” in Congress. If they want the old status quo, then they will see challengers in their primary elections in 2012 and/or 2014. Fourth is to remove Obama from office. The guy is lazy, incompetent, can’t make a decent common sense decision and he is completely out of step with the vast majority of the American people. He is doing more harm to this country than any person in our history. Bush pales in comparison to Obama in this regard.

If your goal is to see the USA become a shadow of its former self then Obama is your man. Even his Democrat cronies see he is political poison. They are running from him like rats from a sinking ship.

This “mess” we are in was started by Clinton in the late 1990s and perpetuated by Democrats in Congress since then. Also, guess who has been in charge of both houses of Congress since 2007? It has been Democrats. Tell me what they did to stop the mortgage meltdown? I’ll answer for you. They did NOTHING, NADA, ZIP. In the summer of 2008, Barney Frank told us Freddie and Fannie was just fine and perfectly stable. WTH was he thinking?!?! The Democrats controlling the House and Senate spent the last two years of Bush’s second term in hearings instead of minding the country’s business. Congress writes the laws, not the president. Why didn’t the Democrats write some laws to prevent the fall of 2008 meltdown or at least bring it to Bush’s attention that there was a problem. It is Congress that controls Freddie and Fannie anyway, not the president. The Republicans tried to reform Freddie and Fannie around 2003-2005 but people like Barney Frank and Chris Dodd blocked them from doing it. In fact, Bush’s administration was warning of a potential collapse of these quasi government agencies in his first term (want to see proof?). Democrats got too much campaign cash from Freddie and Fannie employees to mess with the goose that was laying golden eggs for them.

If you need further proof of what I just said I can link to several YouTube videos and you can watch the actual words come out of the mouths of the people involved. What I stated in the above paragraph is beyond refute.

[QUOTE=UTR;2542717]First order of business is to stop the Democrats from destroying the country. This means throwing them out of office en mass and out of control of Congress in November. The second order of business is to elect people like Rand Paul, Joe Smith, Marco Rubio etc. and start replacing the Republicans that are no better than the Democrats. That is happening this election (although I REALLY wanted McCain to get the boot too). Third order of business is to pay attention to “who does what” in Congress. If they want the old status quo, then they will see challengers in their primary elections in 2012 and/or 2014. Fourth is to remove Obama from office. The guy is lazy, incompetent, can’t make a decent common sense decision and he is completely out of step with the vast majority of the American people. He is doing more harm to this country than any person in our history. Bush pales in comparison to Obama in this regard.

If your goal is to see the USA become a shadow of its former self then Obama is your man. Even his Democrat cronies see he is political poison. They are running from him like rats from a sinking ship.

This “mess” we are in was started by Clinton in the late 1990s and perpetuated by Democrats in Congress since then. Also, guess who has been in charge of both houses of Congress since 2007? It has been Democrats. Tell me what they did to stop the mortgage meltdown? I’ll answer for you. They did NOTHING, NADA, ZIP. In the summer of 2008, Barney Frank told us Freddie and Fannie was just fine and perfectly stable. WTH was he thinking?!?! The Democrats controlling the House and Senate spent the last two years of Bush’s second term in hearings instead of minding the country’s business. Congress writes the laws, not the president. Why didn’t the Democrats write some laws to prevent the fall of 2008 meltdown or at least bring it to Bush’s attention that there was a problem. It is Congress that controls Freddie and Fannie anyway, not the president. The Republicans tried to reform Freddie and Fannie around 2003-2005 but people like Barney Frank and Chris Dodd blocked them from doing it. In fact, Bush’s administration was warning of a potential collapse of these quasi government agencies in his first term (want to see proof?). Democrats got too much campaign cash from Freddie and Fannie employees to mess with the goose that was laying golden eggs for them.

If you need further proof of what I just said I can link to several YouTube videos and you can watch the actual words come out of the mouths of the people involved. What I stated in the above paragraph is beyond refute.[/QUOTE]

I just love how knee-jerk “conservatives” apply revisionist history to blame all our ills on others but themselves. It is their policies and philosophies i.e. deregulation that caused our financial meltdown, that is a fact. Rand Paul is a lunatic extremist that would destroy this country completely if he ever became president as would Sarah Palin.

Hey stupid people, this discussion is about music, not political views. BOTH Repubs and Dems are getting paid by RIAA and MPAA. So it’s not one vs. the other. Second, the record companies only have themselves to blame. Since they did 45’s back in the day, single cassettes, single cds, single mp3s. If they want people to buy albums, quit making singles available, Maybe if they would hire someone who had half a fucking brain, they could get ahead. Instead they hire accountants to count they money that they rape from grandmas and little kids for downloading some mechanical music, piece of crap anyways.

[QUOTE=trust2112;2542729]Hey stupid people, this discussion is about music, not political views. BOTH Repubs and Dems are getting paid by RIAA and MPAA. So it’s not one vs. the other. Second, the record companies only have themselves to blame. Since they did 45’s back in the day, single cassettes, single cds, single mp3s. If they want people to buy albums, quit making singles available, Maybe if they would hire someone who had half a fucking brain, they could get ahead. Instead they hire accountants to count they money that they rape from grandmas and little kids for downloading some mechanical music, piece of crap anyways.[/QUOTE]

Damn… I thought I was cynical… but you’re right about the Reps and the Dems getting paid by the RIAA/MPAA lobbyists and all the other special interest groups/political action committees. It’s the best democracy money can buy after all. Until we force a change to stop that, it will always be “business as usual”, and “we, the people” will always lose…

[QUOTE=Kerroj;2542722]I just love how knee-jerk “conservatives” apply revisionist history to blame all our ills on others but themselves. It is their policies and philosophies i.e. deregulation that caused our financial meltdown, that is a fact. Rand Paul is a lunatic extremist that would destroy this country completely if he ever became president as would Sarah Palin.[/QUOTE]

Your post shows why Democrats are going to lose big this November. They thought blaming Bush and Republicans would fly for two more elections and they wouldn’t face scrutiny for THEIR actions. Obama owns the economy. It happened when he got his Stimulus Bill passed and told us it would keep unemployment under 8%. Well that was a crock since unemployment has been well over that mark for almost 1.5 years. Democrats are mentally paralyzed as to what should be done to fix the economy. Keynesian economics doesn’t work and that is the only thing they know to do and it is quickly putting the country into bankruptcy. At least Palin has experience governing in an executive office. A lot more relevant experience to be president than Obama. Obama, Reid and Pelosi has been a triad of stupidity the past 20 months. The American people realize this and will take the first steps to rectifying the situation this November.

[QUOTE=Kerroj;2542733]Damn… I thought I was cynical… but you’re right about the Reps and the Dems getting paid by the RIAA/MPAA lobbyists and all the other special interest groups/political action committees. It’s the best democracy money can buy after all. Until we force a change to stop that, it will always be “business as usual”, and “we, the people” will always lose…[/QUOTE]

In basic principle, we both agree.

[QUOTE=UTR;2542751]Your post shows why Democrats are going to lose big this November. They thought blaming Bush and Republicans would fly for two more elections and they wouldn’t face scrutiny for THEIR actions. Obama owns the economy. It happened when he got his Stimulus Bill passed and told us it would keep unemployment under 8%. Well that was a crock since unemployment has been well over that mark for almost 1.5 years. Democrats are mentally paralyzed as to what should be done to fix the economy. Keynesian economics doesn’t work and that is the only thing they know to do and it is quickly putting the country into bankruptcy. At least Palin has experience governing in an executive office. A lot more relevant experience to be president than Obama. Obama, Reid and Pelosi has been a triad of stupidity the past 20 months. The American people realize this and will take the first steps to rectifying the situation this November.[/QUOTE]

Obama inherited this economy and has had to instill measures to avoid a total collapse. I don’t see any of the Republicants offering any solutions either, all they know how to do is obstruct, criticize, propagandize, and outright lie… that is what they do best. It is so chic for the wrong-wing to bash Reid and Pelosi, too, isn’t it? Oh, they suck so bad for wanting a better health-care system for all of us, right? Palin is just a media/fame whore and a psychopath.

ENOUGH :a

You people are going to have to stop derailing threads with political diatribes.

Kerroj…I havent seen you around the forums much but this is an official warning not to continue this political pissing match

UTR…You know better. You’ve been warned in the past not to do this sort of thing and you are on the edge of a sinbin.

There will be no more posts in this thread that are not a direct response to the news report regarding the present administration’s remarks about piracy and copyright “reform”.