OakGate and Myce announce partnership to test and review SSDs

OakGate and Myce announce partnership to test and review SSDs.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2013/03/D1pIbM.jpg[/newsimage]We're proud to announce a partnership with OakGate Technology. 

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/oakgate-and-myce-announce-partnership-to-test-and-review-ssds-66500/](http://www.myce.com/news/oakgate-and-myce-announce-partnership-to-test-and-review-ssds-66500/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Awesome!

This is most interesting, I am sure with all the hoopla about SSDs and their benchmarks, a real proven hardware and software platform will be welcomed by the whole industry. I for one am looking forward to the benchmarks and learning how to read and understand them. Thanks JW and the whole review team.

SSD reviews for the pwnage!

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2681501]SSD reviews for the pwnage![/QUOTE]

Have you purchased an SSD yet? Last time I read a comment from yourself, you were worried about losing your data if it was stored on SSD, which I thought was pretty funny because that can also happen with a mechanical drive :smiley:

And what does this actually mean for the average member of these forums?

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2681602]And what does this actually mean for the average member of these forums?[/QUOTE]

Hi Allan,

A good question :slight_smile:

I feel the average SSD enthusiast will find enterprise level reviews interesting, especially as I believe the line between ‘consumer SSDs’ and entry point ‘enterprise SSDs’ will become blurred in times to come.

It is also fair to say that we are targeting a specific segment of readers, who influence or are responsible for business oriented storage solutions, both within our large existing community and as part of a drive to attract new readers/members to our forum.

More generally we believe this is an important step in maintaining our position as an authority on Solid State Storage.

I hope this helps Allan.

Regds, JR

I agree, and besides I like reading about the new technologies and how they benchmark…

I can see that we will get first hand evaluations now… Congrats, and Thanks

Well, personally I’d be a lot more enthusiastic if I were going to get someone’s previously evaluated hardware bit.

I have this mental image of the various reviewers having shelves weight down with previously evaluated hardware gathering dust, or perhaps a drawer full of SSD’s

Generally speaking hardware that I (or others) would seriously consider
maiming or killing someone else to have…

In these hard economic times I cannot justify replacing my
six month old 120gb SSD with the 256GB SSD I really wanted
in the first place.

To be truthful part of the reason bought the SSD was to free up the fast 500gb drive I had been using as a system drive for use as a pure storage device, perversely I actually paid more for the 500gb WD “Black” HDD than I did for the 120gb SSD!

Don’t get me wrong, I get to Buy and to “play”, with a bunch of SSD’s,
but unfortunately I’m using other people’s money and they generally
want to get their computer back with their new hardware installed,
so (sadly) I don’t get to “play” very long…

But I generally do get to decide what hardware is actually purchased.

“Buy what you think is best within a budget of $x” is something I hear rather often.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2681647]
I have this mental image of the various reviewers having shelves weight down with previously evaluated hardware gathering dust, or perhaps a drawer full of SSD’s
[/QUOTE]

:slight_smile: OK, I understand where you’re coming from Allan.

Some things to bear in mind

• most drives are supplied to reviewers on a short term loan basis;

• and performing an in depth, comprehensive review of an SSD demands a lot of concentrated effort.

However, you have sparked an idea for me.

For amusement, here’s a picture of some of the shelves in my study/computer room (my wife refers to it as my Air Traffic Control room and regularly accuses me of spending my kids’ inheritance). The draws and cupboards are worse :slight_smile:

Yep, there are lots of ‘spare’ bits and pieces - mostly legacy stuff.

The eagle eyed may notice there is one SSD… :slight_smile:

Regds, JR

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2681647]Well, personally I’d be a lot more enthusiastic if I were going to get someone’s previously evaluated hardware bit.

Generally speaking hardware that I (or others) would seriously consider
maiming or killing someone else to have…

In these hard economic times I cannot justify replacing my
six month old 120gb SSD with the 256GB SSD I really wanted
in the first place.

To be truthful part of the reason bought the SSD was to free up the fast 500gb drive I had been using as a system drive for use as a pure storage device, perversely I actually paid more for the 500gb WD “Black” HDD than I did for the 120gb SSD!

Don’t get me wrong, I get to Buy and to “play”, with a bunch of SSD’s,
but unfortunately I’m using other people’s money and they generally
want to get their computer back with their new hardware installed,
so (sadly) I don’t get to “play” very long…

But I generally do get to decide what hardware is actually purchased.

“Buy what you think is best within a budget of $x” is something I hear rather often.[/QUOTE]

I can understand all of that Allan and everyone has different priorities but we have a very high proportion of SSD enthusiasts in here.

I must admit I haven’t the money to buy all the equipment I’d like either but I still like reading up on things and keeping up and keeping up to date with the latest technologies, and I’m sure a lot of our members are the same.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Personally I don’t have any more room for my stuff, every closet, every nook and cranny is filled with computer stuff, I am a hoarder, I throw nothing away, I usually have 3 or 4 builds going at one time, its really bad when you are retired and have absolutely nothing to do. LOL.:):flower:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2681676]…every nook and cranny is filled with computer stuff… I usually have 3 or 4 builds going at one time[/QUOTE]

It feels good to know there are others out there Alan :slight_smile:

Regds, JR

I see the SSD, bottom shelf with a clear spray bottle sitting on top of it.

An OCD label by the look…

I’ve always been good at “Kim’s Game”.

My house? you don’t want to know.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2681884]My house? you don’t want to know.[/QUOTE]

Mine’s probably as bad.

I’m always reluctant to ditch IT hardware. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2681912]Mine’s probably as bad.

I’m always reluctant to ditch IT hardware. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I have about 10 Cases that are not even opened in my garage and everytime I get rid of something 2 more things take its place. I still have my first 150gb VRaptor in my bottom drawer.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2681920]I have about 10 Cases that are not even opened in my garage and everytime I get rid of something 2 more things take its place. I still have my first 150gb VRaptor in my bottom drawer.:)[/QUOTE]
And what are your intentions with all these PC’s?
I palm them off to anyone that mentions that their PC is old/not working/non-existant to limit the buildup of excess computer parts … noting that I still currently have a spare PC, with multiple HDD’s installed … bah.

On an unrelated (or related note) … I’m just returning my third OCZ vertex 2 - 120GB for RMA.

Note that this Vertex 2E was actually the replacement for a previous OCZ vertex2E which failed < 1yr …

Original purchase date was 25 / 5 / 2011 :slight_smile:

@AllanDG: Not everyone here is an upgrade nut … I’m sure there are members that have bought practically every model of CDwriter, DVDwriter, BDRwriter and SSD ever released … and now 99% of those are paperweights with a residual value less than an actual paperweight … but not everyone has an excess of cash and an unhealthy enthusiasm for consumerism.

As you can see above/below in sig, my main machine is running on a 2yr old SSD (not atm of course, since it’s beng RMA’d), (and below) with a CPU/mobo/ram that’s 3yrs old … but the video card is newish, and my 24" monitor just exhausted it’s 5yr warranty (damnit) …

My primary computer is a 10" tablet … and secondary machine is a 3 1/2 yr old laptop …

Most of my hardware is here on refugee status…

Refugee from a recycling bin.

I literally have a PILE of computers sitting in my driveway that will
take me two trips with my pickup truck to contribute to the pile of
"tin" at the local scrap metal dealer who is less than picky about
what they take in.

AD

[QUOTE=debro;2681955][B]And what are your intentions with all these PC’s?[/B]
[B]I palm them off to anyone that mentions that their PC is old/not working/non-existant to limit the buildup of excess computer parts … noting that I still currently have a spare PC, with multiple HDD’s installed … bah[/B].

On an unrelated (or related note) … I’m just returning my third OCZ vertex 2 - 120GB for RMA.

Note that this Vertex 2E was actually the replacement for a previous OCZ vertex2E which failed < 1yr …

Original purchase date was 25 / 5 / 2011 :slight_smile:

@AllanDG: Not everyone here is an upgrade nut … I’m sure there are members that have bought practically every model of CDwriter, DVDwriter, BDRwriter and SSD ever released … and now 99% of those are paperweights with a residual value less than an actual paperweight … but not everyone has an excess of cash and an unhealthy enthusiasm for consumerism.

As you can see above/below in sig, my main machine is running on a 2yr old SSD (not atm of course, since it’s beng RMA’d), (and below) with a CPU/mobo/ram that’s 3yrs old … but the video card is newish, and my 24" monitor just exhausted it’s 5yr warranty (damnit) …

My primary computer is a 10" tablet … and secondary machine is a 3 1/2 yr old laptop …[/QUOTE]
My intention are " To build high end gaming rigs" I advertise in my local newspaper and I have built 24 rigs so far this year. I am retired from 40 years at IBM and CDS ( Computer Data Source) so I need things to keep me busy. I’d go crazy if I don’t have a hobby.