O2 selects MPEG-4 aacPlus from Coding Technologies for mobile music service

I just posted the article O2 selects MPEG-4 aacPlus from Coding Technologies for mobile music service.

Submitted byGristyMcFisty: O2 Selects MPEG-4 aacPlus from Coding Technologies for New ‘O2 Music’ Mobile Service Coding Technologies, the leading provider of audio compression…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7170-O2-selects-MPEG-4-aacPlus-from-Coding-Technologies-for-mobile-music-service.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7170-O2-selects-MPEG-4-aacPlus-from-Coding-Technologies-for-mobile-music-service.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’m glad to see AAC getting adopted from somebody other than just Apple. Although I prefer Ogg Vorbis as it offers the best quality per bit, AAC isn’t too far off and it allows for the DRM features companies want and like it or not, DRM is the future, and I’m willing to embrace it. Only the ignorant will fear it (just like how people feared web cookies back in the mid/late 90s).

[edited: doublepost]
[edited by G@M3FR3@K on 21.11.2003 10:47]

I disagree. DRM is not the future. It does not have to be ‘embraced’, neither do cookies if u don’t want them, hence the popularity of privacy programs and cookie management in browsers. But the future will tell the story of DRM and just how people react to it, so I’ll hush up now :slight_smile:

Digital AM Radio is also making use of AACPlus (AAC+SBR), but they done a bad job giving it the name “Digital Radio Mondiale” which has the abbreviation DRM; the same abbreviation for the controversial Digital Rights Management technology. If someone sees a digital radio for sale saying ‘DRM compliant’ on the front, it may be enough to scare off the consumer from getting having any further look at it if they do not realise that this DRM technology has nothing to do with Digital Rights Management :stuck_out_tongue:

A lot of people still hate cookies now. But DRM is only the future if people buy into it.

It could work the other way. They’ll explain to people that this DRM has nothing to do with Digital rights. Then someone won’t know when they actually see a product that has Digital rights management.