Nvidia partially disables CUDA in 340.52 drivers

vbimport

This is just a heads up, but Nvidia has removed the nvcuenc.dll file in the 340.52 video drivers recently released. This is the library and interface needed for CUDA hardware acceleration in many programs, like Mediacoder, Freemake and Mediaexpresso.

Nvidia still supports CUDA through their newer dll, the nvenc interface, but as of now, there are no free encoders that make use of the newer library. According to a post over at Videohelp.com, the developers of the various encoders using CUDA were taken by surprise by this move from Nvidia.

If you use one of the free CUDA encoders, the 314.07 drivers will work for you.

Most paid software is the same way I had to roll back my Nividia driver after the latest driver install to get Cuda to work.:slight_smile:

It seems NVIDIA is trying to work on CUDA faster than they can help people keep up with its evolutions, while trying to keep up with new cards and new operating systems. :doh:

I think it’s time for developers to focus a bit more on Intel’s QuickSync…:wink:

Quicksync works well with my I7 2700k with Fab products but not all support Intel Quicksync so I i use my Nvidia Cuda GPU.

I have a 2600K, 2700K, 3770K, 4770K and 4960X, and it works with all of them.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2734129]I have a 2600K, 2700K, 3770K, 4770K and 4960X, and it works with all of them.[/QUOTE]well to be honest i thought dvd fab was the only one that suported it can you name a few other Retail softwares that do support it for encoding / trancoding?:smiley:

I suppose your waiting on the new Haswell -E 8core Intels coming out next month.:clap:better save your pennies they are going to be expensive.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ILLP;2734130]well to be honest i thought dvd fab was the only one that suported it can you name a few other Retail softwares that do support it for encoding / trancoding?:D[/QUOTE]
Cyberlink.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2734131]Cyberlink.[/QUOTE]Nice thans Alan will have to give it a try.:smiley:

[QUOTE=ILLP;2734132]Nice thans Alan will have to give it a try.:D[/QUOTE]
Its called Cyberlink Media Expresso

//youtu.be/3miDw2Iw1SI

Thanks Alan.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2734080]
Nvidia still supports CUDA through their newer dll, the nvenc interface, but as of now, there are no free encoders that make use of the newer library. According to a post over at Videohelp.com, the developers of the various encoders using CUDA were taken by surprise by this move from Nvidia.
[/QUOTE]

If the developers will follow the Nvidia blogs there is no big surprise. The functions and old API was veryl ong under the flag “Discontinued”. So everyone was able to change it for a long time. Now they have finaly removed it. Surprise? I will say ignorance :wink:
Microsoft do this, all other SDK vendor do this and also the god “ffmpeg” do this permanently. Ok, “ffmpeg” do this most time with a surprise but all the developers who have now the CUDA issue also have know this very well from ffmpeg.

Before the shitstorm begin, yes, we also miss to update the code. We are not better than our competitors :o

Interresting is the fact that all functions that are declared as deprecated still returning an S_OK result. So we can assume that the problems are a bug inside the driver?

[QUOTE=DVDranger;2734152]Interresting is the fact that all functions that are declared as deprecated still returning an S_OK result. So we can assume that the problems are a bug inside the driver?[/QUOTE]
That’s a known fact, the NVidia drivers are buggy to begin with, when they are used for something that Nvidia did not design this is almost an accident waiting to happen, but I havehad great success with the Cyberlink Media Expresso program, it came with my Asrock Motherboard as a free trial.