Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 VS Radeon HD 6970 - Which One & Why?

vbimport

I am currently building a new computer and finalising my specifications. The purpose of the PC will primarily be audio production and some gaming; and then down the line a light amount of video and photo editing which I aim to learn about throughout the year.

At this moment I am reviewing which graphics card I will opt with. Having scaled down I know it will between the following;-

[ul]
[li]Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 [/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]Radeon HD 6970[/li][/ul]
Nonetheless, as many of you may know there are a few options in this range. Which of the following would you go for between the and why?

Radeon HD 6970
- XFX HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Dual DP Out PCI-E Graphics Card
- Gigabyte Radeon HD 9670 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DP Out Out PCI-E Graphics Card
- PowerColor HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
- PowerColor HD 6970 LCS WaterCooled Edition 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
- PowerColor HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
- Asus HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Dual DP Out PCI-E Graphics Card
- Sapphire HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI Dual Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
- MSI HD 6970 Afterburner 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Dual DP Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Nvidia GeForce GTX 580

- EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX580 1536MB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI 
    - ZOTAC nVidia GeForce GTX580 1536MB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI
    - Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB Graphics Card
    - Palit Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB HDMi Graphics Card

The GTX580 is faster by around 20%, there are a lot of reviews out there, take a look at this one

So checking prices, the gtx580 going for $500 and the 6970 going for $330 I would go for the 6970 because its plenty fast. The 6970 uses a little less power but it does run a bit hotter. If it were me and I got a 6970 I would definitely replace the stock heat sink compound with some good stuff.

[QUOTE=sas84_heavyhitter;2574965] The purpose of the PC will primarily be audio production and some gaming; and then down the line a light amount of video and photo editing which I aim to learn about throughout the year.

At this moment I am reviewing which graphics card I will opt with. Having scaled down I know it will between the following;-

[ul]
[li]Nvidia GeForce GTX 580
[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]Radeon HD 6970
[/li][/ul]
[/QUOTE]

If the card is just going to be used for the stuff listed above then why do you
need such a heavy duty video card like the GTX 580 or a 6970 for unless you
plan on doing some very super intense gaming or you are just planning ahead
for some of the future games.

If it is going to be used primarily for a light amount of video and photo editing
then you could very easily get by with a GTX 460 or even a GTX 470 the reason
I mention using the Nvidia cards is if you have software that can take advantage
of the Nvidia Cuda technology it will help greatly with the video processing.

Like eric93se said the GTX 580 is going for around $500 and the 6970 going for
a little over $300 you can get the GTX 460 for less than $200 or a GTX 570 for
around $260.

I have a GTX 460 in my system and it does everything I ask of it and it does
it well and when I do video / photo editing and encoding it is very fast. I also
do not like the ATi video drives as they are sometimes very buggy that is why
I made the switch back to Nvidia several years ago and I still hear some of the
horror stories some people are still having with the ATi drivers.

[QUOTE=getit29;2575059]
I made the switch back to Nvidia several years ago and I still hear some of the
horror stories some people are still having with the ATi drivers.[/QUOTE]

I move to Nvidia because I have horrible experience ATI 5 series Video Card
got GTX 470 ( PNY ) and GTX 570 ( EVGA )

The price point to performance on the Nvidia cards leaves the GTX570 in first place for the High End cards.

With your needs you should consider the new Nvidia 560 cards; here are a few reviews we have done on these new cards.

MSI GTX560Ti

ASUS GTX 560Ti

Nvidia GeForce GTX560Ti

If you decide on the 6970 you might just get the 6950 card and Flash it to the 6970; if you search a little you will get all the info you need to do this.