Nvidia GeForce collapse?

hi,

my vista / dell inspiron 531 starting blanking out on me this evening - after a round of video editing. during one of the recovery phases there was a note telling me Nvidia GeForce 6150 SE nForce 430 was being installed by Windows - this is weird, that should be the graphics card already in there? the edit software told me my graphics card wasn’t powerful enough just before the monitor folded: what does all this add up to - is my graphics card about to go belly up? i have hardly used the graphics on this pc in real terms

help please

thanks

Ric

ps the Dell appears to have recovered just now. there is an Nvidia tab on the desktop - when i clicked on it the screen blanked out at once, then recovered after a couple of minutes, so it must have something to do with the graphics card?

Its may or may not be something wrong with your video card. there are various tools out there that will allow you to remove your video card drivers completely and re install them.

in the long run you might have to reformat your computer to be sure. there are cases where the driver gets messed up and this stuff can happen.

[QUOTE=devilsclaw;2270355]Its may or may not be something wrong with your video card. there are various tools out there that will allow you to remove your video card drivers completely and re install them.

in the long run you might have to reformat your computer to be sure. there are cases where the driver gets messed up and this stuff can happen.[/QUOTE]

reformat? o gosh [I]i hope not![/I] :eek:

have run a driver-fix program on the pc which did a lot of work on the Nvidia, so i hope the problem is sorted

the only thing now is that the pc clicks into ‘screen black’ when it used to switch into screen saver mode. the hard drive is till active / pilot light flickering away, and if you hit ‘enter’ after a couple of minutes the monitor comes back up showing the Vista in sleep/standby awaiting password

any ideas please - is this[I] hibernation[/I] mode? can i cancel it and get back to screen saver? if it blanks out on me during a video rendering it will probably end up compromising all the work?

thanks

Ric

If you can see anything, the video card is working fine.

It’s likely that the dell update software, or windows update have installed a new driver for your nvidia card in the background.

After installing, the drivers have to terminate the running drivers, and then re-initialize the new drivers, and hence the screen flashes a few times as the video card resets/restarts.

There is likely nothing wrong with your machine, it’s just auto-updated and you didn’t realize.

To disable the sleep mode of the computer, get into the windows control panel - power options, and change the screen saver to become active, and sleep mode to not kick in for a few hours or so :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=debro;2270461]If you can see anything, the video card is working fine.

It’s likely that the dell update software, or windows update have installed a new driver for your nvidia card in the background.

After installing, the drivers have to terminate the running drivers, and then re-initialize the new drivers, and hence the screen flashes a few times as the video card resets/restarts.

There is likely nothing wrong with your machine, it’s just auto-updated and you didn’t realize.

To disable the sleep mode of the computer, get into the windows control panel - power options, and change the screen saver to become active, and sleep mode to not kick in for a few hours or so :p[/QUOTE]

thanks Debro,

Windows probably updated the driver automatically because the Nvidia is a known issue it seems (on googling)

am furious with Dell for not contacting all customers with this card in their pc’s and warning us - i shelled out $40 on a driver fixing software yesterday

so that’s the second driver update for Nvidia; then, when problems persisted i went to the Dell help programme on my desktop and found yet another Nvidia driver download already waiting there - so that’s three driver updates for the card over three days

when i go into desktop properties on the vista it only shows screen saver as an option, i can’t actually see a ‘hibernation’ control, i was just wildly guessing; last night i clicked on “Nvidia” under properties and the screen blacked out and i had to restart about 3 times by unplugging the pc (there is no restart button on Dell pc’s?), so it is definitely the graphics card which is unhappy. took a deep breath and clicked on Nvidia again today about 2 minutes ago: the screen blacked for 5 seconds [I]then[/I] the Nvidia info page came up, so it looks as if the gremlin is under control if not entirely subdued?

if worries do persist however i was wondering why i don’t just go out and buy a new graphics card?

many thanks for your help :wink:

Ric

[QUOTE=kr236rk;2270608]contacting all customers with this card in their pc’s and warning us - i shelled out $40 on a driver fixing software yesterday
[/QUOTE]
Ric, you have been ripped off.
Go back to the company that you bought this software from & demand a refund.
If they refuse, contact the credit card company & cancel the payment.
The software is a fraud. It appears that some enterprising prankster is unlawfully taking advantage of people over a temporary problem that nvidia is experiencing with their drivers/products.

Only the driver manufacturer can fix driver issues, and they regularly release drivers, and by that, I mean usually once per month (not once per day) so it’s an unusual case. Driver updates (downloads) are totally free from all video card manufacturers.

If a particular version of a video card driver is no good, you can use the windows device manager to “rollback” to the previous driver that was working fine, which is what I’d suggest you do.

[QUOTE=debro;2270973]Ric, you have been ripped off.
Go back to the company that you bought this software from & demand a refund.
If they refuse, contact the credit card company & cancel the payment.
The software is a fraud. It appears that some enterprising prankster is unlawfully taking advantage of people over a temporary problem that nvidia is experiencing with their drivers/products.

Only the driver manufacturer can fix driver issues, and they regularly release drivers, and by that, I mean usually once per month (not once per day) so it’s an unusual case. Driver updates (downloads) are totally free from all video card manufacturers.

If a particular version of a video card driver is no good, you can use the windows device manager to “rollback” to the previous driver that was working fine, which is what I’d suggest you do.[/QUOTE]

thanks Debro

gosh what a mess - i used the term “rip off” to Dell as well when said i could phone them for advice for [I]£19[/I] ~ i do not dispute that my pc is out of warranty but i do hold Dell responsible for loading a graphics card into one of their systems without first testing it for driver issues, of which Nvidia shows up badly all over the internet now when you google for it, and then not notifying their customers either!

the pc seemed to blank out whenever the screen saver came in, sometimes it would recover, sometimes not; i did an experiment and turned the screen saver off and the monitor stayed with it for over an hour when i put the sc/save back on 5 minutes. the pc hasn’t blacked out on me for over 3 hours now but it is obviously a serious concern if i want to work on something: it would be the equivalent of driving down a highway at high speed in the middle of the night then all the lights go out - not much fun :expressionless:

the pc ain’t crashed but you can see nothing, you can’t turn it off because no screen buttons - no restart button on Dells - you can’t save anything: all you can do if the pc doesn’t recover is pull the plug - something i hate doing

will go back to the software vendor, i have already explained that their “driver scan” has not fixed the issue so they have sold me a pile of old rope

will update

thanks

Ric

This is the software that I was talking about

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

nvidia cards a known to have bugs that show up every once in a while normally due to a driver update and sometimes cannot be fixed with out this program.

I have had it where even this program could not save me and I had to re-install the os.

the problem I had was when I ran anything that had to with changing the screen resolution from the default it would black out my screen and lock it up, similar to that I have also had it where It would blue screen do to the same thing.

sometimes the cause of the above mentioned is the driver changes the registry and changes the Hz value of screen modes to 100 something instead of 60hz. there is software out there to change it but i have a hard time finding it sometimes.

[QUOTE=devilsclaw;2271038]This is the software that I was talking about

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

nvidia cards a known to have bugs that show up every once in a while normally due to a driver update and sometimes cannot be fixed with out this program.

I have had it where even this program could not save me and I had to re-install the os.

the problem I had was when I ran anything that had to with changing the screen resolution from the default it would black out my screen and lock it up, similar to that I have also had it where It would blue screen do to the same thing.

sometimes the cause of the above mentioned is the driver changes the registry and changes the Hz value of screen modes to 100 something instead of 60hz. there is software out there to change it but i have a hard time finding it sometimes.[/QUOTE]

thanks. well the pc is a Dell and i found a Dell update message tucked away in the Dell Help program so i have downloaded and run the official ‘driver patch’, if that is what it amounts to, for this issue: so with respect i am not going to download any more driver solutions for this issue now i am trying to get the money back i paid Pareto for a fix which did nothing

whatever this glitch is, yes, it does appear to mess with the screen resolution because in one of the blank out sessions a message started floating around on the black screen with a question mark, asking me if there was the correct resolution set? - pretty useless considering the system was effectively locked down by this time and no way to get at anything. time to pull the plug and pray (again)

if pc companies can set public warnings about exploding laptop batteries why can’t Dell or Nvidia for that matter, issue public warnings that certain graphics cards have ‘known issues’? i was in the middle of a video edit when that card closed my system down :a not to mention the fact it scared the hell out of me ~ a dual core processor going down like a skittle - i thought i must be dreaming?

pc seems slightly more stable this evening - will update :rolleyes:

Ric

If you’ve bought this “driver scan” software from the internet,it would also be a great idea to scan your computer for virus’s as well.

Try any 2 of the below.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/au/
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/security-lab/tools-and-services/online-scanner/index.html
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/WelcomePage.asp

[QUOTE=debro;2271046]If you’ve bought this “driver scan” software from the internet,it would also be a great idea to scan your computer for virus’s as well.

Try any 2 of the below.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/au/
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/security-lab/tools-and-services/online-scanner/index.html
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/WelcomePage.asp
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/[/QUOTE]

Thanks

i run McAfee and am doing a full scan now!

R

You don’t have a discrete graphics card, only an integrated graphics solution built into the 6150 chipset. What’s likely the case is that the tasks you are trying to do is too demanding for the chipset to crunch through. So as a side effect, the graphics engine suffers, causing some screen disparities. It’s likely that the chipset is overheating as well. The problem is a hardware limitation, not drivers.

Companies aren’t going to tell you about what problems and issues they may have, unless it was really drastic like the Seagate fiasco. It’s up to you do your own homework even if there’s “live support” available. Dell support is very, very, very bad.

[QUOTE=KTL;2271057]You don’t have a discrete graphics card, only an integrated graphics solution built into the 6150 chipset. What’s likely the case is that the tasks you are trying to do is too demanding for the chipset to crunch through. So as a side effect, the graphics engine suffers, causing some screen disparities. It’s likely that the chipset is overheating as well. The problem is a hardware limitation, not drivers.[/QUOTE]

hmmm,

thanks - that’s a dual core that went west for 48 hours, i do exactly the same video editing tasks on a Pentium 4 and no worries, apart from the CPU stuttering the visuals now and then, because it is not really powerful enough: hence i went in for a core2

am now very confused by what you say - the Nvidia GeForce driver is a ‘known issue’ - Dell even issued a driver fix for it, Windows did an auto fix for it, which temporarily semi-totalled the system - could you explain what you mean by it not being a driver issue please - do Dells overheat - is this another concern - please let me know?

thanks again

R

The 6150 chipset wasn’t paired up with an Intel Core2 Duo processor. If indeed you have a 531, it should come with an AMD 5600+ dual core CPU. Are you sure you know what hardware you are using?

If the chipset has a hardware limitation that’s embedded at the silicon level, then there’s nothing a driver can do to “fix” it unless the silicon is respun to accommodate the “fix.”

[QUOTE=KTL;2271080]The 6150 chipset wasn’t paired up with an Intel Core2 Duo processor. If indeed you have a 531, it should come with an AMD 5600+ dual core CPU. Are you sure you know what hardware you are using?

If the chipset has a hardware limitation that’s embedded at the silicon level, then there’s nothing a driver can do to “fix” it unless the silicon is respun to accommodate the “fix.”[/QUOTE]

i’m sorry you have lost me

531 specs are here:

http://computers.toptenreviews.com/economy/dell/dell-ddcwga27-details-19110.htm

Nvidia issue:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=309897

just one example of many on the internet: google “nvidia 6150 black screen”

if you know of a practical fix for this issue please let me know? if you know of the definite cause of this issue, or are unsure, please say so -

many thanks

R

Try Downloading & installing this - it’s the nvidia reference drivers for your video: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_185.85_whql.html

(Have a quick look in the “Products Support” and you’ll find your nvidia 6150) :wink:

[QUOTE=debro;2271093]Try Downloading & installing this - it’s the nvidia reference drivers for your video: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_185.85_whql.html

(Have a quick look in the “Products Support” and you’ll find your nvidia 6150) ;)[/QUOTE]

o brill! - right up to date as well! :slight_smile:

will update - inspiron hasn’t blipped all evening (sigh of relief)

many many thanks

R

downloaded and installed driver patch (vista 32bit) - did a restart - nvidia boosted my screen resolution to maximum so i had to reconfigure it, but [I]the system did not crash [/I]and the screen did not blip out :slight_smile:

no response from Pareto so i guess i better contact my credit card?

many thanks

Ric

update: the Vista started fine this evening - i put my screen pass in and the screen went black - after a few moments the “not optimum mode” for the screen resolution came up floating around the black screen - i am totally locked out of the pc now and it will not start in safe mode

[I]this is a freakin nVidia glitch [/I]- forget graphics cards! - can someone help please?

at wits end

R

ps. nVidia GeForce 6150 SE nForce 430 seems to be the graphics controller in the system, rather than the graphics card itself - any chance of removing the nVidia and replacing it with a different controller unit?

thanks

R